Bull Barreled Smokeless .45 Opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figuring the heat disapating advantages of a Bull Barrel are a moot point when discussing a Custom Smokeless Muzzleloader.
Does anyone feel the lesser barrel vibration could equal better accuracy at higher velocities?
Twist being specifically appropriate to Sabot or Conical.

I have had good success with the 1-20 Twist, Light Varmint profile Brux 45 caliber barrels in the Remington 700ML or the 700 Single Shot actions.
I use the "Hankins" type breech plugs and modules from Arrowhead.

A 26" total length barrel with the 275 grain Parker BE bullet and 76 grains of IMR4198 will give a velocity around 2,950 fps.
The OD of the barrel at the breech end is 1.200".

When a rifle produces over 5,000 ft-pounds of energy you need some weight to dampen the recoil.
A good brake will reduce recoil by about 50%, or a good aftermarket soft recoil pad on top of the traditional recoil pad will also greatly reduce the felt recoil.

My first build was a Savage 45 with 24 inch bull barrel. It shoots great but it sucks to carry. It's also handles about as good as 2x8 in my tree stand particularly on my weak side. I built a second rifle using a NEF 12 ga beak open action and tapered it to .850 at the muzzle. It doesn't shoot quite as well but carries great, swings great in my stand and no deer I'm likely to see here in Ct. will walk away from it. ( o - 200 yds). For out of state hunts at ranges over 200 yards the NEF becomes about as useful as a canoe paddle and I would need to schlep the heavy Savage. It all depends on what kind of hunting you're doing.

Last edited:
Most of the smokless rigs I see built are so heavy they just are not hunting rifles,,I understand some of us hunt with them anyway,,as a young man I did not hesitate to carry a deer on my back a mile or two,,and a 12 lb rifle in my hands,now at 60 years old I don't think so! That nef or nula is the only way to go to me.

My first build was a Savage 45 with 24 inch bull barrel. It shoots great but it sucks to carry. It's also handles about as good as 2x8 in my tree stand particularly on my weak side. I built a second rifle using a NEF 12 ga beak open action and tapered it to .850 at the muzzle. It doesn't shoot quite as well but carries great, swings great in my stand and no deer I'm likely to see here in Ct. will walk away from it. ( o - 200 yds). For out of state hunts at ranges over 200 yards the NEF becomes about as useful as a canoe paddle and I would need to schlep the heavy Savage. It all depends on what kind of hunting you're doing.
What I reeeeely like about a break open is how short it is. To avoid confusion (and explosions) concerning my ramrods and witness marks, I cut both the NEF and the Savage barrels to 24 inches. Because the the break open barrel starts right over the trigger it ends up 4 inches shorter than the Savage bolt action with the same 24 inch barrel length.

Back