Bullet advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttonbuck

Reaction score
I saw Hornady .458 rifle 300 grain I think? bullets wondering if these work with black knight or harvester sabots? How they shoot out of knight orange disc converted to 209 primer, I’m almost out of 300 gr XTP. Got great results from green sabot and 429 xtp, in Illinois bullet has to be44cal or better

A 458 and a black Crushrib will be really tight in lots of guns. Harvester and MMP both offer sabots for 458. Not sure which would work better for you but ive used the MMPs before with no problems. The Hornady 458 300gr HP will perform pretty similar to a 45cal 300gr XTP. I have never used the 44cal 300gr.

This is why I like this site. I was wondering the same thing as the OP about 458 bullets, and now it’s answered. :lewis:

Edit to add that in looking for .458 sabots I came across this thread.
.452 vs .458 bullets?

Last edited:
I prefer the Sierra 458 300gr FNHP if you cant find the Hornady in stock. The Sierra cores are softer lead.

I was considering using cast .458 300 gr. RNFP #2 Buffalo by Missouri Bullet Co. (Brinell rating of 18) and Harvester orange sabots.

What kind of T7 powder charge should I start with? Shooting Knight LK-93 .50 cal.

And I have to agree with you retrieverman, this site is a great source of QUALITY information....literally logged in to post this same question and stumbled on this thread!!

I was considering using cast .458 300 gr. RNFP #2 Buffalo by Missouri Bullet Co. (Brinell rating of 18) and Harvester orange sabots.

What kind of T7 powder charge should I start with? Shooting Knight LK-93 .50 cal.

And I have to agree with you retrieverman, this site is a great source of QUALITY information....literally logged in to post this same question and stumbled on this thread!!
I’m shooting 90 grains measured of 2f 777 it groups the best for me so far, I’d consider dialing back to 80 or 85 if it is more accurate for the 240 grain 75 grains was giving me MOA 1” at 100 yards off a bench.

I’m shooting 90 grains measured of 2f 777 it groups the best for me so far, I’d consider dialing back to 80 or 85 if it is more accurate for the 240 grain 75 grains was giving me MOA 1” at 100 yards off a bench.
Forgot to add with 300 grain XTP and a black Knight Sabot.

I saw Hornady .458 rifle 300 grain I think? bullets wondering if these work with black knight or harvester sabots? How they shoot out of knight orange disc converted to 209 primer, I’m almost out of 300 gr XTP. Got great results from green sabot and 429 xtp, in Illinois bullet has to be44cal or better

Hornady also makes a 325 grain .458" diameter bullet, which works in the MMP Orange sabot.

45 Cal .458 325 gr FTX® (45-70 & 450 Marlin) - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Not at all an accurate assumption. Bullets like the 458 300gr HPs have a pretty similar jacket thickness so they function in "trap door" level loads too. Notice how the Hornady 458 jacket is even thinner than a XTP Mag. The Sierra is the same way and advertised as being made for even slow speed impacts.
HTEwWNa.jpg

eBwDmK1.jpg

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/45-caliber-300-gr-hp-fn/
The bullet is unique in that it expands well at modest 1873 Springfield velocities
this bullet was designed to expand reliably even at 1300 fps. It is a perfect match for the T/C Contenders and similar handguns chambered for the 45-70 cartridge. Dependable expansion and excellent accuracy make this Pro-Hunter bullet a good choice for most hunting situations.

Thanks GM-54-120 for those bullet photos I note the Barnes Original is a 300 Grain 45.70 bullet (.458) Semi Spitzer Flat Base with a BC of .291. Graf and Sons is currently selling these bullets for $62.99 + 12.95 flat rate shipping.

Latest posts

Back