Bullet and sight recommendations .54 cal 1-24 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron871

Reaction score
Just purchased a Pedersoli Hawken Hunter LH Flintlock. (My first flint) Hands down the funnest rifle I’ve ever shot, I just can’t put it down. Currently using sabots and .452 250g Hornady

I regularly cast bullets and have many molds, but nothing for a .54 …. Id like to shoot 400-500 grains 2” or better at 100yds. What mold am I looking for?

The sights on this are challenging for my old eyes…. What is a good upgrade for low light hunting inside of 100yards that won’t require a gunsmith?

I know most of you have been around this block a time or two and can save my some trial and error…

Check out IdahoLewis' I-bullet, available from Accurate molds. I'm sure he'll see this and he can provide the exact mold number. You will need a sizer and a good bullet lube. Again, Lewis can explain what you will need to put it all together and make it work. I would suggest doing a search on here and YouTube for IdahoLewis before you do anything else.

Have you seen my 1-24 Twist Bullet testing? I recently accuracy shot 3 Different Hunting Style Bullets (My i Bullet, Bullshop Clone, and Accurate Molds #50-488M) All 3 Performed Awesome in my RICE 1-24 Twist, I am Confident that any of them 3 Will do the same in yours :lewis:

Sorry about that Last post! I seen 1-24 Twist and AUTOMATICALLY Assumed .50 Cal :)

Are those bullets available anywhere to try before I purchase the mound?

Unfortunately no, This is a Mold you have to purchase from Accurate Bullet Molds. It is #54-485i

It assuming that’s a custom mound made to order? I need to cast and mic my barrel? Hope I like it?

Are there any other opinions here? Really just need to be 2 MOA at 100yds. Looking for something off the shelf….

Alright, if no one else is able to contribute….

Lewis,
I ordered a set of pin gauges, should be here next week.

After I find my bore size, how much larger do I want my lead conical? Do I want to just cast or cast and then size? Also what brinnell do I want my lead?

My concern is leading the barrel. The only experience I have with running lead right against the lands and grooves has produced terrible lead fouling. But the tighter the fit, the more accurate it was.

Just purchased a Pedersoli Hawken Hunter LH Flintlock. (My first flint) Hands down the funnest rifle I’ve ever shot, I just can’t put it down. Currently using sabots and .452 250g Hornady

I regularly cast bullets and have many molds, but nothing for a .54 …. Id like to shoot 400-500 grains 2” or better at 100yds. What mold am I looking for?

The sights on this are challenging for my old eyes…. What is a good upgrade for low light hunting inside of 100yards that won’t require a gunsmith?

I know most of you have been around this block a time or two and can save my some trial and error…

This is a Williams peep rear and fiber optic front. An excellent low light combination. I prefer the Lyman model 57 and have it on most of my rifles. It’s as good as they get and you can change apertures for bright sun, overcast or remove it entirely for dawn and dusk.

Attachments

• D3BA6645-5253-4834-920B-9EC271F61E37.jpeg
    D3BA6645-5253-4834-920B-9EC271F61E37.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 16
  • EF1A173E-1D8A-4901-AF2D-3EEAEDEEE71B.jpeg
    EF1A173E-1D8A-4901-AF2D-3EEAEDEEE71B.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 16
Alright, if no one else is able to contribute….

Lewis,
I ordered a set of pin gauges, should be here next week.

After I find my bore size, how much larger do I want my lead conical? Do I want to just cast or cast and then size? Also what brinnell do I want my lead?

My concern is leading the barrel. The only experience I have with running lead right against the lands and grooves has produced terrible lead fouling. But the tighter the fit, the more accurate it was.
I’ve been sizing a thousandth over bore size. Two things that I believe reduced or eliminated leading in my rifles. Use an overpowder wad, over sized, .58” for .54”, etc. and second, also per Lewis’ recommendation, I’m lubing with SPG modified by the addition of Stihl HP synthetic chain lube. I no longer have any leading problems in handguns or rifles.

This is a Williams peep rear and fiber optic front. An excellent low light combination. I prefer the Lyman model 57 and have it on most of my rifles. It’s as good as they get and you can change apertures for bright sun, overcast or remove it entirely for dawn and dusk.
I basically have the same setup, different rear aperature sight and use a Green Fiber Optic front sight. I found the green to appear first in the morning and the last to fade away at dusk.

Back