Bullet and sight recommendations .54 cal 1-24 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some of Lymans 533-476, some TC maxiballs, and lubed fiber wads from track yesterday. I’m not really fond of the way the Lymans look. The hollow base makes it appear that the outer band is not a consistent width, as though the hollow portion is not center.

I’m going to try to come up with some bullet lube. I have some trappers wax, alox, a big tub of deer tallow, and mineral spirits.

Still not sure what brinnell to cast, but I have some time to research that while I wait for my pin gauges.

This is a Williams peep rear and fiber optic front. An excellent low light combination. I prefer the Lyman model 57 and have it on most of my rifles. It’s as good as they get and you can change apertures for bright sun, overcast or remove it entirely for dawn and dusk.

My rear peep is mounted back behind the barrel. Is this configuration a-typically?51C0B263-3012-4AF0-A892-4A82C226E797.png

I use deer tallow and olive oil. I mix it to the consistency I need for the weather and application. Almost a paste for patch lube, and about like chapstick for bullets. Did a lot of fun shoots this summer where I was shooting over 50 shots a day with roundball. Only swabbed the barrel a couple of times mostly out of habit. Loaded easy all the way to the end if the day. Fouling stayed soft.

Pin gauges are here. .540 fits snug - .541 will not fall in but I could possibly force it. So I’m .540???

What diameter do I want to cast?

What brinnell? (is this a taboo question…. -or- no one knows except Idaholewis…. LOL)

Pin gauges are here. .540 fits snug - .541 will not fall in but I could possibly force it. So I’m .540???

What diameter do I want to cast?

What brinnell? (is this a taboo question…. -or- no one knows except Idaholewis…. LOL)
I’d size to .541 and cast pure lead for a start. You can always use a harder alloy later if needed.

Latest posts

Back