Bullet Casting for my CVA WOLF .50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I understand you correctly, if I order a .502 when I cast they will come out 0.503-0.504? Is this due to the expansion of the mold from the heat?

If the .502 bullet fit right from the sizing kit, wouldn't I then want a 0.501 mold so then when I cast the bullet comes out as .502 to 0.503? or are you saying sizing is pretty much necessary to get a good bullet? I reload .38 wad cutters and I use a sizer for it but I just follow a recipe I am no chef. Does the sizer make up for imperfections in the casting process?

Correct, Tom has a Window of .002, and if you follow my Casting tips you will end up at the Bigger end due to Optimum Fillout. Tom intentionally sets his Machine to Cut like .001 Larger than your Desired Dimension When you use his PLUS Tolerance

And sizing is the ULTIMATE way to Achieve perfect Bore Fit. To get a Mold that Drops EXACTLY what you need is NICE, But somewhat Rare. I do have a Few Molds that do, But WAY more that Don’t. Sizing is GAURANTEED to get your Desired Fit

Sizing as much as .003 or so is NO BIG DEAL at all, in fact i welcome it

If you try and Cut it to Tight by ordering a Mold, Countering his .002 Number, Worse Case scenario is you end up with a Bullet to Small, That would SUCK!! Remember, you can ALWAYS Size a Few Thou, But you are 💩 out of luck if your Bullet is to Small from the Mold, Then you have to order another Brand new Mold and Eat the other

Correct, Tom has a Window of .002, and if you follow my Casting tips you will end up at the Bigger end due to Optimum Fillout. Tom intentionally sets his Machine to Cut like .001 Larger than your Desired Dimension When you use his PLUS Tolerance

And sizing is the ULTIMATE way to Achieve perfect Bore Fit. To get a Mold that Drops EXACTLY what you need is NICE, But somewhat Rare. I do have a Few Molds that do, But WAY more that Don’t. Sizing is GAURANTEED to get your Desired Fit

ok last questions hahaha. So if sizing is necessary why not go with 5.05 or 5.1? I am an engineer so I like to know these things haha.

I think you just answered my question, 0.003 is no big deal

No NOT at all :lewis: They will slip through your Sizer EFFORTLESSLY

A tip on Sizing Lead, Lube them first! Roll them across a Lube Pad like an RCBS that you use for Centerfire Cartridge Cases, Even use RCBS Case Lube 2, it works AWESOME!! Just make darn sure that you Clean your Die and Push Rod Thoroughly After doing so, Then coat them in a Good Oil/Preservative Just like you would your Rifle before Storing away :lewis:

This is what i use to Lube my Bullets BEFORE sizing them (Minus the Brushes)

RCBS Case Lube Pad, and RCBS Case Lube 2 Lubricant. Simply Roll the Bullets across the Lube Pad, Coating them with lube, They will now Slip through your Bullet Sizer EFFORTLESSLY. Again, Make sure and Clean your Sizer Die & Push Rod, then oil them Good to preserve after use. Simple as that :lewis:
KH4e6Be.jpg

One last thing, After sizing i prefer to store My Bullets unlubed. I prefer to Lube my Bullets as i plan to Shoot them, That way the Lube is Fresh in the Grooves, instead of Dried out. That doesn’t mean my way is the ONLY way, or the Right way, it’s simply MY Way :) If you plan to Leave Lube in the Grooves, You can Pan Lube them, and then run them through your Bullet Sizer, They will be done & Ready to Shoot this way. No need for the Case Lube Pad, or Case Lube this way.

One last thing, After sizing i prefer to store My Bullets unlubed. I prefer to Lube my Bullets as i plan to Shoot them, That way the Lube is Fresh in the Grooves, instead of Dried out. That doesn’t mean my way is the one ONLY way, or the Right way, it’s simply MY Way :) If you plan to Leave Lube in the Grooves, You can Pan Lube them, and then run them through your Bullet Sizer, They will be done & Ready to Shoot this way. No need for the Case Lube Pad, or Case Lube this way.
Spot on Lew!! :lewis: I use to cast a couple hundred Bullets at a time being I cast for my grandsons as well. I felt this way they had enough bullets in hand. The problem is after a while say a year or so if they don’t shoot them, the lube will harden. Lew’s way makes complete sense. As Lew told me once you size a lead conical it will stay that size and you can either hand lube them, or if you are going to shoot a lot you can pan lube the batch and resize them to get the excess lube off.

Last edited:
One last thing, After sizing i prefer to store My Bullets unlubed. I prefer to Lube my Bullets as i plan to Shoot them, That way the Lube is Fresh in the Grooves, instead of Dried out. That doesn’t mean my way is the ONLY way, or the Right way, it’s simply MY Way :) If you plan to Leave Lube in the Grooves, You can Pan Lube them, and then run them through your Bullet Sizer, They will be done & Ready to Shoot this way. No need for the Case Lube Pad, or Case Lube this way.

For my wad cutters I would just use Alox... Is this a no no with Muzzle Loaders?

do I need to pan lube or is tumble lubing enough? I had never heard of pan lubing before. My brain is increasing in size. I found a rabbit hole and I'm loving it.

Pan Lube, you want to Fill the Grooves with Lube :lewis:

You can use a home made Cookie cutter like I’ve made from Cartridge Cases, or a Speed Loader, Etc. To get them out of the Lube, Then push them through your Sizer, you end up with a PERFECTLY Sized & Lubed Bullet
RuY9vyW.jpg

RFWmAW1.jpg

I think I am going to try the 50/50 beeswax crisco oil due to cost/availability. I can get both ingredients shipped for free. I also ordered an 2- 8x8 silicon tray and a double boiler.

For a factory mold i always advise the Lyman Plains, i have proven that Bullet OVER & OVER in 1:28 and 1:48 Twist, But finding one of them Molds will probably be extremely difficult at this time, you can’t find any factory Bullet Molds to speak of right now

Lyman Plains Bullet in 1:28 Twist Green Mountain LRH

Better yet is to have a Mold Made by Accurate Bullet Molds. My very first Choice would be #50-415I
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=50-415I
SpFjQ6Q.jpg

WojEkhE.jpg

5j5Pe72.jpg

68ZfGjq.jpg

5 Shot Group, Shot with my Green Mountain LRH 1:28 Twist

UQuIxqz.jpg

My next Choice would be Accurate Molds #51-450M, With a Few slight modifications. This is a Copy of an Original 460 Bullshop Bullet. This is an AWESOME Bullet
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-450M
DHyXhJE.jpg

0OA6946.jpg

My next choice would be #50-385M, They weigh 400 Grains Cast of PURE Lead
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=50-385M
AdbDqQu.jpg

Testing it in my 1:28 Twist GM LRH Barrel

5JiWuRw.jpg

This Cow Elk was killed with a CVA Wolf and my Accurate Molds #50-385M
Q5EfKhG.jpg

This Bull was also Killed with my Accurate Molds #50-385M, 1:28 Twist Green Mountain Barrel
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/2020-co-public-land-muzzy-bull.36849/

What would it cost me to get maybe 20 of these bullets to try out?

What would it cost me to get maybe 20 of these bullets to try out?

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/129/1
These folks have some bullets and they state the mold. I know they sell the lyman plains mold, but it looks like they dont sell the bullet. Maybe you could ask them if they could make a batch of 20 special for you but at the same time if you are going to spend $30 on 20 rounds why not buy the mold. Seems like you'd make your money back real fast plus if you don't like it you could sell it fast. Unfortunately the mold is not in stock anywhere.

Latest posts

Back