Bullet/Load recs- Making due for this year's primitive season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I got my hands on a Traditions Deerhunter .50 cal. percussion (1:48) By some miracle, I also found a tin of #11 caps and a jug of 777 FFG. I also have the following bullets available to me on hand:

Hornady XTP: 240 grain, green sabot
Barnes TEZ: 250 grain, blue sabot
Barnes TEZ: 290 grain, blue sabot
Powerbelt: Copper, 245grain aerotip (green tip)

Maryland's primitive season is Feb 1-3 and I will only get a chance to sight in the gun on Jan 30th due to work. IF I take a shot at a deer, it will be at 40 yards or less, 25-30 yards more likely.

With these ingredients, what would ya'll recommend to try. For next year, when I have more time, I can get other kinds of bullets etc, but for this year, I'd love to be able to make due with what I've got while making an ethical shot at a deer with easy recovery.

Thanks, guys!

I’d use either of the Barnes with 100 gr volume T7.

I only have 2 rifles that are 1:48 twist rates, but they do not shoot those kind of bullets that you mentioned well. I have to use more "primitive" bullets (conicals and round balls). Basically, the longer the bullet, the worse it will shoot from a 1:48 twist. Those XTP's "might" do okay, you would have to try them. I use a round ball and patch or Maxi-hunter bullets, which are pre-lubed and you slide them down the bore on top of a wad. As for powder charge, I would start out with 80grns by volume of triple seven. You should get some good answers from guys on here that may have used some "modern" bullets with that twist rate. And from the short distance you are talking about you may be ok, but that twist rate generally can't stabilize longer bullets, bullets with better ballistic coefficients. By the way, I own a Pedersoli Hawken that has a 1:24 twist that allows me to shoot those bullets out of a traditional-style muzzleloader. That might be something you want to look into for the future, if Maryland allows a traditional-style rifle with a faster twist rate.

Last edited:
By the way, I own a Pedersoli Hawken that has a 1:24 twist that allows me to shoot those bullets out of a traditional-style muzzleloader. That might be something you want to look into for the future, if Maryland allows a traditional-style rifle with a faster twist rate.
The Pedersoli Hawken Hunter is the gun I wanted precisely for that reason, but its out of stock everywhere and not expected back till well into March. May get it for next year, but life is short and I wanted to hunt this season too!

The Pedersoli Hawken Hunter is the gun I wanted precisely for that reason, but its out of stock everywhere and not expected back till well into March. May get it for next year, but life is short and I wanted to hunt this season too!
I hear you-give those various bullets a go and see what appears to be the most accurate at your yardage. Don't forget to let the barrel cool down between shots. With the colder temps I would say 8-10 min.

I have several 1:48 rifles and all of them shoot maxi balls extremely well. All other bullets differ from gun to gun. You might want to pick up a box just in case your groups from the others aren't what you want.

I have a TC Renegade with a 1/48 twist. It shoots 385 grain Hornady Great Plains Bullets with 80 grains(v) real Swiss very accurately. I use a wad between bullet and powder. I think Midway was having a sale on those bullets. If you need Ill send you some.

Morehops. Im exposed to several hops yards. One is 140 acres.

I never had much luck with any saboted bullets in my deerhunter rifle. The few that I tried were very hard to push down on a clean barrel.
Powerbelts loaded and shot good but I never shot them at deer, so I couldn't say how they would be.
The Thompson Center maxi hunters have been good for me. Shot alot of deer with them.
I have the 275 gain.
Only problem is they kick like a mule, Lol.
I have plenty on hand and would be happy to send you a box to try.
PM me your address if interested.

I never had much luck with any saboted bullets in my deerhunter rifle. The few that I tried were very hard to push down on a clean barrel.
Powerbelts loaded and shot good but I never shot them at deer, so I couldn't say how they would be.
The Thompson Center maxi hunters have been good for me. Shot alot of deer with them.
I have the 275 gain.
Only problem is they kick like a mule, Lol.
I have plenty on hand and would be happy to send you a box to try.
PM me your address if interested.
Thanks, that's very thoughtful! Did the deer run far after the shot with the Maxi-Hunters? I've read such terrible things about Powerbelts that I'm too scared to try them on deer. A quick ethical kill is my highest priority. I often don't understand why they are such bestsellers if they perform so poorly.

Thanks, that's very thoughtful! Did the deer run far after the shot with the Maxi-Hunters? I've read such terrible things about Powerbelts that I'm too scared to try them on deer. A quick ethical kill is my highest priority. I often don't understand why they are such bestsellers if they perform so poorly.
Any deer I shot with the Maxi Hunters went down within sight.

Thank you, that's very kind! I did order some of the Hornady GP today...they said that because the bottom was hollow you did not need the wad...we'll see how that do
Sorry, I think you are correct. I have an assortment of bullets and must have gotten confused. :roll:
At any rate they shoot accurately for me. Dont try to shoot them too fast. For the ranges you are talking even 60-70 grains of powder should do you a good job. Less powder less recoil.

So, I got my hands on a Traditions Deerhunter .50 cal. percussion (1:48) By some miracle, I also found a tin of #11 caps and a jug of 777 FFG. I also have the following bullets available to me on hand:

Maryland's primitive season is Feb 1-3 and I will only get a chance to sight in the gun on Jan 30th due to work. IF I take a shot at a deer, it will be at 40 yards or less, 25-30 yards more likely.

With these ingredients, what would ya'll recommend to try. For next year, when I have more time, I can get other kinds of bullets etc, but for this year, I'd love to be able to make due with what I've got while making an ethical shot at a deer with easy recovery.

Thanks, guys!
The XTPs were about the only bullet that shot well (from your list) out of my 1:48 TC Renegade. I believe I was shooting 65grains by weight of FFG 777

Idaho Lewis has some videos on YouTube. Shooting a stock 1/48 twist TC Renegade, I believe.
I particularly like what he can do with a patched round ball.

I can tell you any deer I hit with a maxi rarely even left its tracks. Never had to track one.

Thanks, guys!
I would try the Barnes 250 with 80 or 90 grains to by volume. Should do fine.

Latest posts

Back