Bullet mold mixture...............

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got ahold of some pure lead and cast a few Maxi Balls. These are measuring consistent, thank goodness, unlike the other ones I had that are hard cast. Read up on a few things in an old ML book from the late 70's and the pointers came in handy. Nice shiny Maxi's, no wrinkles and are measuring consistent.

The measurements of the front bearing band are .505 so I hope these will be easier to load than the last few hard cast I loaded. Barrel bore measures .498 does that sound about right or is that a bit tight?

50 Caliber New Englander.

Last edited:
Agreed. Back when I started ML'er hunting in '87 I used Maxi Balls in my T/C side hammer rifle. They never seemed to expand as far as I could tell. The hole in and out was the same size. Shot quite a few deer through the rib cage without much of a blood trail.
None of the critters I have shot with hard cast Maxi's has taken many steps. Its interesting what a 360 grain solid chunk of hard lead can do. Unless it hits bone, its .50 coming and going.

Once I did a bad shot on a deer that came up from behind me. I was twisted way too much for the shot but I took it anyway. Barely hit the deer in the side of the neck and it hit the ground flopping like crazy. It was flopping down a long steep grade and it was difficult to catch up to it. I was ticked off at myself and didn't want to see the critter suffer. So I reloaded and shot again while it briefly stopped between flopping. I tried to miss the spine but wound up hitting it dead on. The hard cast Maxi put a hole larger than my fist through the spine. Looked like a cannon round went through it. Lost some back straps on that one.

That was the only critter I have ever shot with the hard cast Maxi Balls that went more than a few steps.

I read part of the instructions, it doesn't have softer than BHN 8 listed and I'm normally working with pure or slightly harder. Not sure about it now.
I used Lee for yrs and 8 is soft for Lee /10.4 is what I got with 20-1 , on my Cabin tree it says7 but Lee is 10.4 . Like it is explained it matters not so much the number but if your alloy comes to the same number every time your consistent in your mix (that's the goal) So buy the Lee and be happy , times I wished I still had mine !/Ed

I used Lee for yrs and 8 is soft for Lee /10.4 is what I got with 20-1 , on my Cabin tree it says7 but Lee is 10.4 . Like it is explained it matters not so much the number but if your alloy comes to the same number every time your consistent in your mix (that's the goal) So buy the Lee and be happy , times I wished I still had mine !/Ed
Wowser. Some of you fallas are way ahead of me on this stuff. Good for you for being so in depth in your pursuit.

You all have my respect!

I did find something in the Lee knowledge base, they officially do not support softer than 8, but also supplied a measurement for BHN 5. I want to say it was 0.093 inch, but I can't find that info right now to post a link. It would be almost full scale which is probably why they don't recommend anything that soft. Eventually I'll buy one, but not right now.

Guys, I have a bunch of Maxi Balls that I casted out of wheel weights. Obviously they are hard cast, which does not expand. They are accurate and I have never lost a critter to one, but I am entertaining the idea of finding some pure lead, melting down the hard cast, and mixing the lead together. So my question is, would a 50/50 mixture work and provide some bullet expansion properties? I would also mix in a little tin.
a 50 /50 mix is a good alloy to use adding tin helps in mold fill out and ads a bit to the hardness of the cast
depending on your velocity will determine the expansion and of course what you run into on the way through your target
o/a 50/50 is a good alloy

a 50 /50 mix is a good alloy to use adding tin helps in mold fill out and ads a bit to the hardness of the cast
depending on your velocity will determine the expansion and of course what you run into on the way through your target
o/a 50/50 is a good alloy
Only need 5% tin

I'm still trying to decide if I need it, or just want it for a toy. I think pencils are good enough for right now for me.

I've seen a few different files to 3d print a stand to help with the measurements. Just Google and they are out there.

I'm still trying to decide if I need it, or just want it for a toy. I think pencils are good enough for right now for me.

I've seen a few different files to 3d print a stand to help with the measurements. Just Google and they are out there.
What you trying to 3d print I have the printer getting it set up it the most pain the a** part took me while and some of the filments aren't worth a crap

I disagree about softening alloyed lead. I've done it numerous times. Get the mix to about 750* and stir it up. Want it softer add more pure lead.

Latest posts

Back