Bullet size vs bore?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried a search sorry if this has been covered before.

Coming from the smokeless cartridge world if one were choosing a bullet size it would usually be appr .001-.002" over bore diameter.

For example if casting for a pistol with a barrel that slugged at .4525" a bullet sized to .454" would be a good place to start.

What is the correlation in the ML world?

Specifically looking at casting bullets for target shooting in a .50 TC Hawken with a 1:48 barrel.

I see the .490-.495 ball with a patch of xyz" to get a tight fit, what about an actual bullet?

Do people shoot bullets sized to a slugged barrel, is paper patching necessary?

Can you just size/lube the bullet- is that effective?

All shooting will be done off a bench at paper with Vernier type sights- looking for accuracy not hunting with this combo.

Thanks, Matt.

That's the beauty or mystery of muzzleloader shooting. You never know what will shoot best out of your particular one. Just to show you the extremes, I have one muzzy that shoots a slip fit paper patched bullet super accurately while another shoots a very tight bullet/sabot combo the best.
So as long as you decided you're going to start casting bullets I'd say .001" - .002" over bore diameter is a good start. Be sure to only use pure lead for your casting. If you opt for a custom mold I'd even go .003" over. You can always size them down. An adjustable sizing die is great for getting the perfect diameter for your rifle.

Tried a search sorry if this has been covered before.

Coming from the smokeless cartridge world if one were choosing a bullet size it would usually be appr .001-.002" over bore diameter.

For example if casting for a pistol with a barrel that slugged at .4525" a bullet sized to .454" would be a good place to start.

What is the correlation in the ML world?

Specifically looking at casting bullets for target shooting in a .50 TC Hawken with a 1:48 barrel.

I see the .490-.495 ball with a patch of xyz" to get a tight fit, what about an actual bullet?

Do people shoot bullets sized to a slugged barrel, is paper patching necessary?

Can you just size/lube the bullet- is that effective?

All shooting will be done off a bench at paper with Vernier type sights- looking for accuracy not hunting with this combo.

Thanks, Matt.
.499would be a good size

For my .54 CVA, the Maxi Balls I shoot measure .537 at the base and .547 at the widest part of the cone up front. I got these from Dixie Gun Works, they load easy and are accurate (as accurate as I am with bad irons). Buddy has a .45 and DGWs maxis for him load easy and are fairly accurate as well (bad sights and 20lb trigger pull), I think any commercial offering will be similar.

1664726793347.png

Back