Bullet sizing for muzzle loaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubblehead

Reaction score
Help me! I fully understand the modern ammo reloading process,
however, I am totally ignorant of "bullet sizing" for muzzle loaders.
What, where, why, who, ?

Sizing is generally done if you want to shoot full bore bullets without a sabot, such as shooting .451/.452 bullets in a .45 barrel. It's very rare that you can find a bullet that will give you a good fit straight out of the box without any sizing.

To size bullets down you need a sizing die. Most use an adjustable sizing die such as that from swinglock. It's expensive but by the time you buy a few non-adjustable dies its not that much more. Once you have the die then you can size bullets to different diameters to find the fit that works best in your gun. You will likely need to put a wool or veggie wad under the bullet to seal it properly for reliable ignition.

I was pretty against sabotless and sizing and all that... Until I tried it. Then time spent sizing is minimal and it opens up tons of bullet options. Plus you eliminate the sabot so it's one less variable to worry about.

You can also size bullets like the Fury star tip .50cal .503" bullets to fit a .50cal rifle, using an adjustable sizing die. They are excellent bullets and very accurate.

Thanks, This sounds like something that would benefit me.
Eliminating sabots is exactly what I want to do. Now, which
one to get for my 50 cal Omega?

To the best of my knowledge you need a separate die for each caliber 45,and 50 calibers Some bullets need no sizing but trying to find the right one I have very good luck with Parker BE with the Omega with a 1-28 twist if you want to shoot bare bullets stay below 250 grains fury 225 grain ML'er bullets would be my choice Good Luck

Lee makes Push Through sizers, They have The most commonly used sizes and also Make Custom sizes. NOE Bullet Molds also makes a Bullet Sizing Die, Theirs is unique in that it uses Bushings and they can be changed out. I was gonna go with the NOE a few Years or so ago but they did not have the Body size Bushings that i needed. This is something i do a LOT of, if you need further help Feel free to ask

Lee Common Sizes
https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/bullet-sizing-kit/

Lee Custom
https://leeprecision.com/custom-lube-and-size-kit/

NOE Push Through Sizer (Bushing Setup)
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=104

How I Customize a Push Through Bullet Sizer, This Video was a part 2 Series of my Paper Patching Video, But is the EXACT same process for a Grease Groove bullet. In short, I prefer to order a Push Through Sizer a Little Small, That way I can slightly open it to get a Custom fit per Gun

Thanks, This sounds like something that would benefit me.
Eliminating sabots is exactly what I want to do. Now, which
one to get for my 50 cal Omega?

My suggestion would be the Swinglock .50cal adjustable sizing die. No bushings to change in and out for different sizing, just turn an adjustment. Luke at Arrowhead Sporting Goods (ASG) has them in stock. Keep in mind, if you want to size bullets for both a 45 and a 50, you need two separate adjustable dies.
http://arrowheadsporting.com/swinglock.html

If planning to smooth size copper jacket bullets you need a adjustable sizing die.
Sizing properly comes down to ten thousandths of a inch.

Swinglock and arrowhead sporting goods both have dies available for 45 and 50 cal.

I wasn’t thinking guy’s, my stuff above is obviously for Lead

I also am in the process. I ordered the NOE kit and it was not in small enough increments. Get an adjustable sizing die. Also most talk about the Swinglock version. I tried to save a little coin....and as usual didn't save anything but gained equipment I probably wont ever use again. I have one Jeff sold me (unknown make) with some other items and the adjustable is the only way to go!!!

Forgot to mention a couple things, and my edit time is up. You may or may not eliminate the "sabot" as it appears most guns prefer a base wad of some kind. If yours does then you actually add more time/items to handle to loading especially in a hunting situation where you may need to reload quickly/faster. My main reasons were to increase accuracy (accomplished) use a muzzle brake (accomplished) and to eliminate the sabot (not yet). I have a lot more testing to complete, so hopefully I can get it dialed in and even eliminate the base wad.

Forgot to mention a couple things, and my edit time is up. You may or may not eliminate the "sabot" as it appears most guns prefer a base wad of some kind. If yours does then you actually add more time/items to handle to loading especially in a hunting situation where you may need to reload quickly/faster. My main reasons were to increase accuracy (accomplished) use a muzzle brake (accomplished) and to eliminate the sabot (not yet). I have a lot more testing to complete, so hopefully I can get it dialed in and even eliminate the base wad.
Out of my UF, the Fury's shot good with or without a wad, but sizing has to be correct. Ignition with BH was instant in both cases through the ASG Gen2 breech plug and using LRMP's.

Reelamin

Using tc quik shot holds powder and bullet and wad.

Simply dump powder and push bullet and wad in at same time

Latest posts

Back