Bullet sizing quandary

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoinLV

Reaction score
I'm working up loads for a White Bison .504. The bore slugs at .5035, but I've been unable to locate a source (Dan's wife at Bullshop said they make only .503 and .504). I initially used a No Excuses sizing pack; the .503 was very easy to load, the .504 really difficult.
I wrap my first shot with PTFE tape, in lieu of squib load (after firing 2 primers). Subsequent .503 bullets (in dirty bore) still slide in real easily, although I'm getting just under 1" groups at 100 yds, 5 inches higher than the taped bullet on clean bore. But the untaped bullets fail the drop test - moving about an inch off the powder (simulating hunting bumps).
I'm not a klutz, although am reluctant to try knurling - I'd hate for sabotloader to see my tries. I taped several and shot a 3/4" group over 105 grains Pyrodex P. This is all off a bench with peep sight and fiber optic front bead. I suppose I could just tape every bullet :confused:
Anybody know of a source for full lead .5035 bullets????
Thanks

Thanks, Jack.
I guess I'm worried about "consistency of knurl" Guess I'll experiment at home without a BP and see how they push thru...

I'm working up loads for a White Bison .504. The bore slugs at .5035, but I've been unable to locate a source (Dan's wife at Bullshop said they make only .503 and .504). I initially used a No Excuses sizing pack; the .503 was very easy to load, the .504 really difficult.
I wrap my first shot with PTFE tape, in lieu of squib load (after firing 2 primers). Subsequent .503 bullets (in dirty bore) still slide in real easily, although I'm getting just under 1" groups at 100 yds, 5 inches higher than the taped bullet on clean bore. But the untaped bullets fail the drop test - moving about an inch off the powder (simulating hunting bumps).
I'm not a klutz, although am reluctant to try knurling - I'd hate for sabotloader to see my tries. I taped several and shot a 3/4" group over 105 grains Pyrodex P. This is all off a bench with peep sight and fiber optic front bead. I suppose I could just tape every bullet :confused:
Anybody know of a source for full lead .5035 bullets????
Thanks

I shoot Dan's 5045 in my Whites - no problem loading them. I think you will find that Dan's lead is much easier to work than the No Excuse. I also shoot his 504's in my .502 Knight 50's. They take a good whack on the sort starter but once through the crown they load just fine.

I really do not shoot Pyro at all but - I would hate to be taping each bullet - it should not be needed at all.

Do you have any .504 Bull Shops?

mike

Thanks, Art and Mike. I plead total ignorance about sizing. I don't cast. To demonstrate my ignorance, I could only resize down, correct? I.E. get some .504s and compress 'em slightly?
I am awaiting an order from Dan, unfortunately I ordered 460 gr .503s. It's been nearly 3 weeks & no word. I think I'll try his .504s, which will hopefully load easier than the NE. I've read in years past he would make .5035s, but alas no longer. Are NE bullets an alloy? I thought they were pure lead.
The slip-fit is nice, but I'm more of a hunter that a paper puncher - don't want to have to recheck the witness marks continuously to prevent the pipe bomb!

Thanks. I'm reluctant to go bigger than .5040, because the NE sizing pack .504 was a bear to load - deep land scars on the bullet (I could see breaking a ramrod with it). I should have mic'd them before ramming :wall:Those sizers may have been alloy (I recall reading they had some "bad" lead in the past - no mushroom). Hopefully some Bullshop .504s will do better (requested pure lead). Also, VERY disappointed in the NE bases (495 gr) - using idaholewis criteria, I'd have to reject about 70% due to substantial dings around the bases. Selecting nice sharp bases works well, as I said above...

Also saw this from Doc's site "ALL .504 BULLETS ARE CAST AT .505, SIZED TO .5035 AND LUBED WITH WHITE’S BLUE POWERLUBE.

I would bet they would go down very easily and can possibly move off the charge while walking through the woods. I know it did with my White. I actually found the bullet sticking halfway out the bore. I’m sure a few more steps and it would have fallen out. Thank God I did not see a deer then.

No Excuses sizes their 50 caliber bullets at .500, .501, .502, .503 and .504. Their sizing pack enables you to figure out what size best fits your gun.

muzzleloading-bullets.com

I would bet they would go down very easily and can possibly move off the charge while walking through the woods. I know it did with my White. I actually found the bullet sticking halfway out the bore. I’m sure a few more steps and it would have fallen out. Thank God I did not see a deer then.
How did you remedy this?

Started casting my own and sizing the bullets to .452 for my 45 cal or 451 White. You want the bullets to slightly engrave the lands to secure the bullet to the load. Plus it should help obtain better accuracy. I also use a felt 50cal wad under the bullet . Yes 50 cal felt wad with my 45.

Here's a video you may find very informative on why you should use a Felt Wad that is one size larger than the ML you are shooting.

Here's a video you may find very informative on why you should use a Felt Wad that is one size larger than the ML you are shooting.

Thanks; this was one of his videos I was referring to above re: NE bases. I shoot Pyrodex P and have never encountered any leading on my patches. I tried some .54 dry felt wads (Maine Shooting Supply) and didn't see any accuracy or consistency changes...

I tried some knurling yesterday with 2 wood rasps on the NE 495 gr. The knurled .503s mic at .505 on the ridge next to the tip, the base ridge .5035. The barrel slip is more snug at first, but gets looser more toward the breech. I guess this is normal for the soft lead, but I'd still like a bit tighter. I'll see how the bullshop .504s do. I hunt elk and muleys, so move a lot, all day - almost never in a stand.

Back