Bullet starters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmhuntr

Reaction score
This is probably A dumb question but I was at the range today and a friend of mine indicated that my bullet starter was for round balls. Are there different bullet starters for sabot bullets? I have used this one for a while and never gave it any thought.

Thanks

This is probably A dumb question but I was at the range today and a friend of mine indicated that my bullet starter was for round balls. Are there different bullet starters for sabot bullets? I have used this one for a while and never gave it any thought.

Thanks

What they mean is that the tip of the starter is concave. I use one on hollow point bullets. The sabot is the plastic thing around the bullet. That don't matter when talking about starters.

Pointed bullets with plastic tips do. If you use those then check the fit of the tip of the bullet to the end of the starter.

What you don't want is to deform or tilt your bullet somehow by the starter and the rod.

There is a company out there that makes a starter with interchangeable tips. Some more expensive bullets may even include a special starter attachment.

Personally I use hp bullets and a standard starter. I am not worried about a little indent made by the starter in the unjacketed bullet I use.

Honestly unless you use those fancy pointed bullets with plastic tips your probably fine.

Latest posts

Back