Bushfire Devastates Tilden Park

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heelerau

Reaction score
Gentlemen, have not been here in a good while. Life took an interesting turn for me on the first of Feb this year. A bushfire that started about 20 miles to the east of my home swept through and wipe me out along with 87 other homes. No one was killed although, I should have been. Only made it out because I had my horse tied up outside the house, so had to save him. My now ex partner lost virtually all we owned, family history, antique furniture, guns saddles, tools etc. I now find at the age of 60 I am starting again from scratch.
To be honest the fire has perhaps done me personally more good than harm. I was tested, faced death, rescued my horse, my ex partner survived with the dog and parrot. It go me out of a lousy marital situation, she told me to leave the day after the fire. I am now living with my widowed mother in another state, I had been worried about how she would go after being widowed again, and she lives on a small farm. I get virtually nothing from the marital settlement, and that is fine by me, I have a good job behind me, my health and the strength and determination to rebuild. Replacement rifles and pistols have been acquired, my mate Niel Fields a rifle smith mate in Vernal Utah, suffered almost the same fate, having lost his home and gear to a fire, but not his lovely wife ! He will build me a replacement .40 Flintlock. I have a new horse and a new custom roping saddle being made, have even acquired a 1924 Chevrolet pickup ( buckboard) to get going, another passion of mine. Life is falling back into place. Hopefully a trip to the US in the next couple of years to catch up with friends and pick up my new rifle ! Things at the end of the day are just things and like us it all will perish eventually. My lovely old home, and Mike C here can verify that, is now locked as an unblemished memory, a sacrifice if you will. Life has had a major reset and its actually quite freeing. I have mourned the loss of my old life, but can now look forward to an unencumbered new one . Kiplings great poem "IF" pretty much describes my ethos. Will look forward to seeing some of you when I eventually get States Side !!Cheers Gordon. Ps friends have been utterly amazing, a ver humbling experience.

You my friend have just proven, that when life throws unbearable challenges at you, you have two choices, stay down and give up, or get back up and try again. I love your positive outlook.
Although, I am very sorry to see all that you have had to endure.
May you have good fortune in your future endeavors.🙂👍

I have salvaged the 32lb naval gun (3rd scale) from the ash, believe the tube is still sound, has a seamless hydraulic tube for a bore with a welded breach plug, cast iron is just for the outside. A mate from my rifle club made the carriage from Jarrah and painted it in the style of what is on the sundeck of HMS Victory She should speak again soon. IMG_0434.jpg

You are amazing ! It’s spirit like yours that made our country great, and will keep it great!
I will salute you with some amber spirits this evening.

Attachments

• 985A8068-8D12-4910-8A29-EE0E30955CBA.jpeg
    985A8068-8D12-4910-8A29-EE0E30955CBA.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
A mate and I drove my 1977 F250, 351 Cleveland withe 1/4 race cam and Holley 600, with my new to me 4 horse gooseneck 1650 odd miles across the Nullabor to my mothers place in Willunga SA in 4 days. $1600 in gas, old girl ran like a watch on 50mph all the way. Just have to send over my 20' sea container gunroom, then my horse, I will follow in my ute. Will continue fifo from Adelaide to Perth as I have a good job in the mining industry. The adventure continues !! It is funny how being wiped out by a bushfire, covid plague has all changed my life for the better. I can only say I am humbled by the care of others through this time, I used to think that life did not care about you, more of life does than you think. cheers

Latest posts

Back