Bushfire's New Hunting Gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
I bought a Pedersoli Missouri River 50 cal caplock a few years back which some of you will have seen in my previous threads. It's been a great gun. But truth be told I haven't taken it out of the safe in nearly 2 years since findign flintlocks. And since getting into flintlocks I've appreciated more and more the value of quality.

My main hunting gun at the moment is an Australian GRRW leman trade flint gun in .54. It's a beautiful gun, shoots lights out and is overall a delight to shoot. I've put several animals in the freezer with her and cannot fault it. The only downside is that for travelling on planes and such I need a locked hard case which is hard to find for a 54" gun without spending crazy money. That and I really wanted a larger calibre rifle for hunting reds when marginal shots can present themselves. So I decided to get a new gun.

Initially I looked at getting a Chambers kit, but by the time I convert to aussie dollars and pay the currently crazy freight costs it was going to be an expensive gun with a lot of work still to do. I had considered getting a gunsmith in the states to do it and then have the completed gun shipped here, but I could not find a single one willing. Truth be told, more than half stopped replying when I mentioned I was from Australia. Eventually I found a builder in Australia who makes fully custom rifles. As he's the last remaining flintlock builder in Australia and muzzleloading isn't big his prices were more than reasonable to the point that he's cheaper than some Pedersoli guns!

the builder doesn't care for the american long rifle style and prefers english sporting guns. I initially fought him on that, but after visiting his shop and handling them I have come around. For me he'll be doing a John Manton style .58 cal half stock with a swamped Rice 31" barrel and folding rear leaf sights. Manton V-pan which is meant to be one of the best lock and pan designs ever created, it came about right at the zenith of the flintlock period. Stock is from blank, I've opted for more expensive high grade english walnut, it's customary in Manton guns to have 18 carat gold inlays so they'll be included and some hand engravings. Undecided whether to have my initials engraved in somewhere or not yet, and whether I go a single trigger or have a single set trigger. Leaning toward the latter.
Only down side is that it's a minimum 12 month wait.

I will update the thread as the build comes along.

That one looks incredible. Looking fwd to seeing yours when its done.
Yes, I just got done sayin the same thing. I'm lookin forward to that as well. Its pretty cool to me that for the fact that I'm a true metal fabricator to the core, I have an innate love for the natural beauty of all types of wood & for me not ever being anything even remotely close to a " traditionalist " I really do love & appreciate those early model guns too.

Found the couple of crappy photos I took of this incomplete rifle from when I visited him. This still had a bit of work to go, this was a better than average priced stock but I said I was happy to upgrade from that. Forend cap is buffalo horn.
IMG_2254.jpeg
IMG_2255.jpeg
IMG_2256.jpeg

Congratulations, i really learned alot. The history behind these guns is very cool. These were super craftsman way back then, very talented people. I do not know if our guns smiths of today, with the tools of the 23rd century could do as good as they did back then. Maybe someday i will get to shoot something of this caliber..

Back