Bushing life

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D55

Reaction score
When shooting hot powder IE N110 or IMR 4227 what's the life expectancy of a bushing, When would you change yours? I had many shots with H4198 and went to shooting 4227 with lighter bullets and experienced rapid bushing erosion with the 4227. Looking for others experience with similar.

Some swear by it, but I've had nothing but grief using 4227 for anything. I use a lot of N110 in duplex loads combined with IMR3031 and H322 and have had no problems with bushing erosion,
but I do not shoot that much anymore. As I understand it, life expectancy depends on the loads
used. Wish I could be more specific. We've had good luck with N110 light loads being kind to vents
as well.

I have been using 4227 in my Scout in moderate doses and tried it in my bolt gun with heavier doses with VG results for a brief moment then everything opened up even with different powder bullet combos, found the culprit was the bushing eroded quickly with the heavier doses of 4227. I have abandoned using it at the higher doses.

I have one gun that I have put a lot of bullets through it has a arrowhead plug in it I have a backup plug for it I keep expecting to have plug issues still shooting lights out legitimate 2000 rounds,,, nothing but 4198 and maybe 25 or 30 loads of Black Horn keeps on ticking

Latest posts

Back