Buying a brand new side lock percussion rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think ive found the inspiration for my next build. @Ninering62 i think you will really appreciate it too.
View attachment 33846

That’s quite the setup!

I’m in the same boat right now debating between a used tc and what you’re able to find new is a challenge. Some beautiful rifles available but hard to justify the $on a hunting gun!

That’s quite the setup!

I’m in the same boat right now debating between a used tc and what you’re able to find new is a challenge. Some beautiful rifles available but hard to justify the $on a hunting gun!
My wife loves venison, probably more than me, so its not as hard to justify as you might think. Just need to present it right.

what would you buy and why?
No contest TC Renegade in 54 or 2nd place 50 cal , I love that stock with heavy charges (less recoil (felt) and then get you some junk barrel an send to Bob Hoyt for the twist/caliber of your dreams . Anything else will cost more and do less !!!!!!!!!!!!!!/Ed

There’s definitely some love for the renegade. Price wise I don’t see how that would be less than 450 or so on a brand new Lyman that wouldn’t need a barrel. Of course I maybe be missing something as I’m new to this!

There’s definitely some love for the renegade. Price wise I don’t see how that would be less than 450 or so on a brand new Lyman that wouldn’t need a barrel. Of course I maybe be missing something as I’m new to this!
I would say 80% of us older folks have built kits n on to making our own from available parts sourced around. I am in the middle of a Under-hammer build fast twist .40 cal conical shooter

I would say 80% of us older folks have built kits n on to making our own from available parts sourced around. I am in the middle of a Under-hammer build fast twist .40 cal conical shooter
Still waiting on the barrel? I'm getting antsy to see this creation. I'm betting it'll be a shooter.

My go-to deer rifle for many years has been a Late Lancaster style built for me by Mike Avance years ago. I wanted a shorty and this one is a 36" X .45 X 13/16" barrel. Accuracy is all I could ask for and the stock is a real beauty.
Hello Hanshi, that sure is a good looker. Being that is all you hunt deer with, what would the twist rate be? Being a .45 cal are you shooting conicals? I never shot a deer with a .45 cal patch and ball, i wonder how that would work? Ty

Not that I would buy another caplock but if I did I'd go a 58 cal Chambers English Sporting Rifle. Of course it'd look much nicer in flint.

Despite what some may say, Pedersoli have a good reputation for a reason. I've owned 5 and all were great guns.

Last edited:
My go-to deer rifle for many years has been a Late Lancaster style built for me by Mike Avance years ago. I wanted a shorty and this one is a 36" X .45 X 13/16" barrel. Accuracy is all I could ask for and the stock is a real beauty.
That's a beauty.

One thing I've learnt is that the price paid for quality is soon forgotten. The pain of a cheap gun will carry on forever!

Shorty,

I have had this .62 Jaeger barrel [31"] for 12 years and finally ordered a Virginia pre-carve and is back from Pecatonica.

Butt plate is 2 x 5 1/4", 2 1/2"s of drop. it is light, but guns are carried more than shot.

It is not a target shooter, so the kick will never be felt when shooting at game!

Shorty,

I have had this .62 Jaeger barrel [31"] for 12 years and finally ordered a Virginia pre-carve and is back from Pecatonica.

Butt plate is 2 x 5 1/4", 2 1/2"s of drop. it is light, but guns are carried more than shot.

It is not a target shooter, so the kick will never be felt when shooting at game!
Sure would like some pics of this fine rifle

Only the barrel is inlet, I am starting to gather parts.

Walnut stock.

There you go, once again showing a mighty fine looking rifle. Sure be a looker n you say a shooter also

Latest posts

Back