Cal Decisions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure about current production Knight 45 cal. barrels but my older Disc Elite takes a Barnes .451 250 grain TEZ with no sizing, just a knurl.

If you do have to size, I have sized lots of Barnes all copper bullets in my Swing-Lock 45 cal. smooth sizing die, they go through the die with little effort.

Swing-Lock dies are expensive but are worth every penny when you want to try different 45 cal bullets in your 45 cal. muzzleloader. I use my die in a RCBS Rockchucker supreme press.
7cd8ljb.jpg
Looks like there are a coupe of options for all copper. Good to know they can be sized. Thanks.

As Sabotloader said if you want one rifle that will give you out west options, and elk is one of those options, than many states REQUIRE at least a .50 cal for elk. I know that my home state of Idaho does. A .45 cal won't be legal if you decide to pursue elk.
I won't go into how silly I think the .50 cal requirement is, but it is the law in some states.
Yeah, now that I know what my options are I can figure out the route I want to go. Prior to this I wasn’t even sure certain things were possible. Thanks.

2 double cut files. I always brush my bullets after knurling to be sure no steel from the files could be stuck in the knurling as that would be bad for a barrel. I have never had anything like this happen to me but have read a post on another board where someone did. I also wire brush my files occasionally. These files only get used for this purpose.

For deer hunting smallish CA black tails I’d get a 45. If you want Elk options in some of the other states, then a 50. Check the regs where you may hunt.

If Elk Weren’t on the Menu, the Caliber choice would be EXTREMELY Simple for me, 1:20 Twist .45 Cal, Here in Idaho we have a .50 Cal Minimum for Elk and they are the Reason i got in to Muzzleloading, therefore i have no choice but to own a .50, since i have a .50 i figured i might as well have a Few .54s and a .58 as Well. In short, i am a Muzzleloader Addict :)

Performance wise, what differences will I see between a .45 full bore load and a sabot .50 load? What about a .50 full bore?

Drew my muzzleloader tag yesterday so will need to make a decision on what to buy coming up. Thanks for everyone’s responses. They have been very helpful.

You will get a bit more speed in the 45 using the same weight bullet and powder charge. Where 45 is legal its a no brainer. 45cal bullet options for full bore are numerous. Not nearly as many for 50cal but there are a few good ones. Cali says no lead so you will have to use copper. The Lehigh 45cal sabotless bullet will be the one to strongly consider if going 45cal. In 50cal you can get Thor bullets for close to the same price.

Latest posts

Back