Cal Decisions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacrvrrat

Reaction score
New to muzzleloading. Looking to buy my first muzzleloader but I am having a hard time figure out which caliber to go with. I have read multiple other threads on here and still can’t find what would be best for me.

I am looking at buying a Knight UL. I live in CA so it would be set up for a peep sight. Will probably run BH209 and from what I can tell I can run sabots.

My main question is do I buy the .45 or .50 KUL? I am leaning to the .45 based on what I have been reading here but I have to run all copper bullets so I am not sure I can run full bore copper. Cost is really not an issue but I would like to pick the rifle that will work for me in CA but give me options if I go other places mainly out west. Thanks for helping a new guy.

Welcome to the forum. A lot of shooters like the 45 for various reasons. It's a good calibur for deer and such. You'd have to do a bit more shopping for bullets as places like Cabela's and Bass pro carry more 50 cal stuff. But you can certainly find what you need.
More hunters prefer a 50 for elk size animals farther range.

Welcome to the only ML forum worth talking about.
IMHO you cant go wrong with either caliber in a Knight UL. I only have .45s and love them but i would probably lean toward the 50 if i were in your situation. For all the reasons you mention. You can find .40 all copper to shoot in a sabot. But if you travel out of state to hunt a caliber rule might bite ya in the @$$.

Depends on the regulations of states you plan to hunt, some only allow .50 cal. .45 caliber is legal in Utah (where I live, no I’m not a polygamist lol) so I prefer that, although I do have way more .50 cal MZ’s than anything else. .45 cal used to be hard to find (in production MZ’s)
I’m takin the .45 when I can.
Many more bullet options if you plan to shoot full bore. Sabot’d bullets, not so much...
Hell, buy one of each. You’ll end up that way anyway...😁

I would go with the 45 with The 1:20 twist barrel. You should be able to shoot 45 cal all copper bullets with good accuracy and you might not have to buy a sizing die. I shoot Barnes 250 grain TEZs out of my slower twist Knight Disc Elite, they require a knurl for a tighter fit.

Maybe do a shout out here and see if anyone has shot copper bullets in their fast twist 45 Ultra-Lites or if they might be willing to do so.

You guys are all missing the obvious solution. One of each. I prefer .45 because I have a long range background, and hunting in the west a long range shot is very likely. The BC choices in 45 caliber lend themselves to longer range shooting, especially with land riders. But, as has been pointed out, in some places a 50 caliber is required. I have several sitting around that honestly don't get shot much, but in the event a hunt comes up where one is required I'm good to go.

Its a tough choice. I have .50s and have not been disappointed. But I can see why a .45 would hold some interest. Don't count on borrowing supplies from another hunter as a basis for picking your caliber. If you have to borrow something that means you dont know where it shoots in your rifle. Unless its the same item you shoot. I do agree at least locally there are more supplies for a .50 but I get all mine through the internet anyway. If you become a regular here you will likely do the same and have enough inventory where the locals will be buying from you. Choose the caliber you want or best suits your needs and start building your inventory.

New to muzzleloading. Looking to buy my first muzzleloader but I am having a hard time figure out which caliber to go with. I have read multiple other threads on here and still can’t find what would be best for me.

I am looking at buying a Knight UL. I live in CA so it would be set up for a peep sight. Will probably run BH209 and from what I can tell I can run sabots.

My main question is do I buy the .45 or .50 KUL? I am leaning to the .45 based on what I have been reading here but I have to run all copper bullets so I am not sure I can run full bore copper. Cost is really not an issue but I would like to pick the rifle that will work for me in CA but give me options if I go other places mainly out west. Thanks for helping a new guy.

I 'think' you might find that several states in the west will require a 50 cal for hunting elk. And as mentioned you would probably have many more bullet options for the 50.

With that said the fast twist 45's are becoming the in thing! If you are hunting primarily deer the 45 really could be the way to go!

If you become a regular here you will likely do the same and have enough inventory where the locals will be buying from you. Choose the caliber you want or best suits your needs and start building your inventory.
SnapBangs Muzzleloader Emporium, for all your frontstuffer needs. I'd shop there. 👍

Thanks for all the replies.

I think it really comes down to can I shoot solid copper full bore (no sabot) in .45. Something like the Barnes Spit-fire. If I can, what tools if any would I have to buy, if any?

Thanks for all the replies.

I think it really comes down to can I shoot solid copper full bore (no sabot) in .45. Something like the Barnes Spit-fire. If I can, what tools if any would I have to buy, if any?

Sure you can! there are thin copper walled bullets that you can size to fit your bore... Not sure you can size an all copper Barnes bullet though.

I shoot full bore Lehigh copper bullets from my 45 fast twist Knights. They shoot great! I am shooting the Lehigh .458x260 gr. CF sabotless bullet. Do not let the .458 size concern you to much - the barbs are .458 but the bullet body is smaller and will load.

45-260-Sabotless.jpg

45x260-Cupped-Base.jpg

They shoot accurately also...

458-260-Sabotless-Target.jpg

I size Barnes copper solids for one rifle and knurl for the other (different bore sizes). Both rifles require using a wad with copper solids.

I'm not sure about current production Knight 45 cal. barrels but my older Disc Elite takes a Barnes .451 250 grain TEZ with no sizing, just a knurl.

If you do have to size, I have sized lots of Barnes all copper bullets in my Swing-Lock 45 cal. smooth sizing die, they go through the die with little effort.

Swing-Lock dies are expensive but are worth every penny when you want to try different 45 cal bullets in your 45 cal. muzzleloader. I use my die in a RCBS Rockchucker supreme press.
7cd8ljb.jpg

Last edited:

As Sabotloader said if you want one rifle that will give you out west options, and elk is one of those options, than many states REQUIRE at least a .50 cal for elk. I know that my home state of Idaho does. A .45 cal won't be legal if you decide to pursue elk.
I won't go into how silly I think the .50 cal requirement is, but it is the law in some states.

Sure you can! there are thin copper walled bullets that you can size to fit your bore... Not sure you can size an all copper Barnes bullet though.

I shoot full bore Lehigh copper bullets from my 45 fast twist Knights. They shoot great! I am shooting the Lehigh .458x260 gr. CF sabotless bullet. Do not let the .458 size concern you to much - the barbs are .458 but the bullet body is smaller and will load.

45-260-Sabotless.jpg

45x260-Cupped-Base.jpg

They shoot accurately also...

458-260-Sabotless-Target.jpg
Good to know. Will look into this more.

I size Barnes copper solids for one rifle and knurl for the other (different bore sizes). Both rifles require using a wad with copper solids.
When knurling are you just using 2 files? Or something else.

Back