Calamari and pie anyone?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatMachine

Reaction score
My woman and I caught a bunch of squid over the summer. She cleaned them marinated and fried them last night and they were awesome. I made the fresh backed apple pie earlier in the day.

Attachments

• F9121B70-B4FA-4689-803C-3B71189D784D.jpeg
    F9121B70-B4FA-4689-803C-3B71189D784D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 7E4CAB6E-7409-43B7-9E1C-3EF7B3E8489A.jpeg
    7E4CAB6E-7409-43B7-9E1C-3EF7B3E8489A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I love a good calamari from small squid but love my apple pie maybe a little more. I use brown sugar butter and cinnamon in it. BTW the pie was for dessert. We had rice with the calamari.

Attachments

• 5E2F969D-618F-4C13-864E-EBF4FB5F43A0.jpeg
    5E2F969D-618F-4C13-864E-EBF4FB5F43A0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Love them both Calamari and Fluke, when i moved to NC I was confused as down here fluke are are called flounder. But I spent many a day on the Great South Bay ,Fire Island inlet putting those squid strips on hooks.

Man, that brings back memories. I used to fish the waters of Rhode Island for fluke, black sea bass and scup.
My buddy and I fished Narragansett Bay and out by Block Island.
Maaaaan I loved catching a mess of black sea bass & grilling them up the same day. Dang good eatin right there. I loved flounder fishing too. I didn't know the diff between fluke & flounder either, I always thought they were two names for the same fish. One of my fav seafood dishes is stuffed flounder with crab imperial.

I love a good calamari from small squid but love my apple pie maybe a little more. I use brown sugar butter and cinnamon in it. BTW the pie was for dessert. We had rice with the calamari.
Why to make a feller drool with envy & hunger. Wish I could belly up to your table too. I like calamari when its cooked right & has a nice dippping sauce, whether its marinara or something else, but I can't imagine life without pie in it almost daily. They need to make pies bigger though IMHO bc I only get 3-4 pieces to a pie before its gone. There are times when I can sit down with a good homemade apple pie like grandma use to make & a half gal of rich & creamy vanilla ice cream & a large soup spoon & go straight up Homer Simpson on them.

Every so many years off the coast of California the Humboldt squid come up from somewhere and eat their way through lots of sport fishing and pelagic school fish. These are jumbo squid running from 40 to 100 lbs and take over the near coastal net fishermen landings. At first they make good money but after a while the market is flooded, the fish houses can’t afford to ship so much so the price just keeps dropping. When I had my boat shop out there we ate lots of it. Even though they are big the flavor is great. Too bad it doesn’t last long and easily freezer burns.even with tight vacuum packing it seems too long in the freezer makes them too soft

Rick

Last edited:
There Are Five species of flounder , the ones I fish for are winter flounder which get up to only around 4-5 lbs. & summer flounder which is known as Fluke which can weigh up to 20 lbs . All delicious eaters !
I’ve fished for them in Maine, New Jersey, Maryland and North Carolina and it seems like no matter where I go they’re a half inch short of whatever the limit was at the time!
I think it’s always been the summer flounder that I’ve caught.

Maaaaan I loved catching a mess of black sea bass & grilling them up the same day. Dang good eatin right there. I loved flounder fishing too. I didn't know the diff between fluke & flounder either, I always thought they were two names for the same fish. One of my fav seafood dishes is stuffed flounder with crab imperial.
Oh man, remember spearing or catching black bass when I was lifeguarding on Long Island...catch them gut and gill them then grill them...add lemon and enjoy along with clams on the half shell. Also love Calamari...brings back memories from a previous life.

Latest posts

Back