Can anyone recommend a good source to find good cast bullets online?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45cal 1-24 will work for a huge variety of bullets. Bullshop has plenty that will work in that twist. He has one labeled 405gr HP that looked interesting. Its a old Lee mould that has not be made in ages.

45 Caliber ~ Lee Moulds ~ .457 ~ 405 grains ~ HP

He does offer the Gould HP too. It will be close to 345gr if cast in pure lead.
45 Caliber ~ Lyman ~ 47122 ~ 330 grains ~ Gould ~ HP

These are both ".458s" so they need to be sized down. He does offer that too. You can also buy dedicated ML bullets from him. He was offering ".451s" from around 420gr to 488gr. Last time i checked with him it was under $50/100 bullets ready to shoot. Thats pure lead, lubed and sized to order.

It’s a good thing for guy’s like Bullshop, Cuz there is NO WAY I could sell my Bullets that cheap, I would HAVE to be double that Price to even consider it.

I’ll send just about anyone a handful of my designs to shoot for only shipping costs, but only cause I want to see how they shoot for other folks, and when I retire, I wouldn’t mind selling a few bullets here and there to supplement social security if there’s any left.

Especially with the price of lead not to mention having it shipped to you.
Plus it takes about an hour to cast up 50 bullets, by the time you heat up and prep everything to go.
You can do 50 in an hour and 150 in two.

I agree 110% with you guy’s, I get asked by PM on a VERY VERY REGULAR Basis about Casting and Selling Bullets? To the point that i turned my PM Feature off. Most people want something for nothing, and I can’t keep doing that. I enjoy helping others, But i have spent SEVERAL HUNDRED Dollars out of my Own Pocket, Casting & sending people Bullets to Try

Here are a few Reciepts I recently went through beside my Chair, most of these are where i have sent out Bullets for people to Try, FREE On Me, Most of time i even Sent Wads as well, With instructions on How to Load Etc. Then find out later the Guy stood in His Yard and Shot them off Hand trying to Group his Rifle? :rolleyes: I have seen, and Heard it all, BELIEVE ME
6dOkwD4m.jpg

You could Grow a LONG White Beard Trying To make a Profit Casting Bullets, I do it for my OWN Enjoyment, and i share EVERYTHING i know about it on here, in hopes of Teaching others how to Cast HIGH QUALITY Bullets

when you do the math it seems like a decent Deal (7,000 Grains per pound, How many of X Grain Bullets you will get from it) But as i have said MANY times, after Cleaning the impurities, Skimming the Dross, You don’t actually get a Full Pound, You lose more than you think

And it is VERY time consuming, Hand Casting that is. It takes my 20 pound Pot 45 Minutes to Melt when it’s Full, I have another 15-20 Minutes or so in Cleanup, Degreasing the Mold, and then heat soaking the Mold getting it up to Temp, By the time i Cast my 1st “Keeper” Bullet i am already in to it for 1 Hour, or a little more. And it Takes Close to an Hour to Cast 50 Bullets. Then I weigh EVERY Bullet and Keep to 1 Grain MAX. Then you have Lubing, & Sizing them, That takes a LOT of time as well. In short, There is a LOT of time that goes in to Casting a Perfect, FLAWLESS Box of 50 Bullets

The ONLY way I could sell Bullets as Cheap as Bullshop, is if someone was giving me the Lead Free, or i was getting it for near nothing. I pay 2 Dollars Plus Tax per Pound at Buffalo Arms for Certified PURE Lead, and that is as good of price as I have seen anywhere

No matter the Quantity, wether it’s 12 Bullets, or 112 Bullets You will need to use a Small Flat Rate Shipping Box, Lead is HEAVY, even 10-12 Bullets in a Padded envelope will end up costing you about the same as a Small Flat Rate, Therefore you are FAR BETTER OFF Using a SFRB, Which is $8.30 to Ship

You can do 50 in an hour and 150 in two. My time is worth more to me than that, to sell commercially that is. $0.50 a bullet is a pretty dang shiny price!
Agreed. I know you do machine shop work as I've seen you post about mold making. I'm sure you're used to the "can you machine this for me?" question that always comes up when people find out you own a lathe and/or mill. Most people have no idea that their "small job" (in their mind) requires 45 minutes of set up time before I even turn on the power.

My way of helping people now days is to Share EVERYTHING I know about Casting Bullets on here, Teaching ANY of you guy’s that want to learn, how to Cast your own Bullets just as good as i can Cast them. I have ZERO interest in Casting & Selling Bullets

My way of helping people now days is to Share EVERYTHING I know about Casting Bullets on here, Teaching ANY of you guy’s that want to learn, how to Cast your own Bullets just as good as i can Cast them. I have ZERO interest in Casting & Selling Bullets
Coming from someone new to this hobby and also new to this forum. Lewis, Ron, Muzzy, ED, SD you guys have all contributed in your own ways helping me. I truly appreciate it. I'm not going to lie, those of you who post about the bullets you are casting and experimenting with, really makes me want to also. But for now its not in the cards for me to be able to have a bullet casting setup (I have a young family and I dont think it would be fair to my wife to dive into any more time consuming hobbies, she is patient enough with the ones I am already into). So please keep sharing your knowledge and suggestions with me (i know you will), and I can promise you, I will never be one to ask for a favor, just answers and suggestions. As the OP of this thread, thanks again. BTW I did end up ordering some .45 Lyman goulds. I cant wait to get to shoot them and my newly relined barrel. I am a kid waiting for santa claus.

Coming from someone new to this hobby and also new to this forum. Lewis, Ron, Muzzy, ED, SD you guys have all contributed in your own ways helping me. I truly appreciate it. I'm not going to lie, those of you who post about the bullets you are casting and experimenting with, really makes me want to also. But for now its not in the cards for me to be able to have a bullet casting setup (I have a young family and I dont think it would be fair to my wife to dive into any more time consuming hobbies, she is patient enough with the ones I am already into). So please keep sharing your knowledge and suggestions with me (i know you will), and I can promise you, I will never be one to ask for a favor, just answers and suggestions. As the OP of this thread, thanks again. BTW I did end up ordering some .45 Lyman goulds. I cant wait to get to shoot them and my newly relined barrel. I am a kid waiting for santa claus.
You won’t regret that Gould bullet. My grandkids love them but the Deer hate them.

It’s a good thing for guy’s like Bullshop, Cuz there is NO WAY I could sell my Bullets that cheap, I would HAVE to be double that Price to even consider it.
Better to give away a few. Like the crack dealers. Hookem with a free sample, then they have to get into casting cuz they dont want to go back to paying for what they can make at home. Thats how i got hooked on casting.

bstorric, You are a wise young man. Time limitation dictate you can only do so many things in life. Get selfish with your time and your whole family will suffer. When your children move away you might have time to pursue additional interests. But the time they are at home is very special and passes oh so quickly. I smile. Then there are the Grandchildren.

I agree 110% with you guy’s, I get asked by PM on a VERY VERY REGULAR Basis about Casting and Selling Bullets? To the point that i turned my PM Feature off. Most people want something for nothing, and I can’t keep doing that. I enjoy helping others, But i have spent SEVERAL HUNDRED Dollars out of my Own Pocket, Casting & sending people Bullets to Try

Here are a few Reciepts I recently went through beside my Chair, most of these are where i have sent out Bullets for people to Try, FREE On Me, Most of time i even Sent Wads as well, With instructions on How to Load Etc. Then find out later the Guy stood in His Yard and Shot them off Hand trying to Group his Rifle? :rolleyes: I have seen, and Heard it all, BELIEVE ME
6dOkwD4m.jpg

You could Grow a LONG White Beard Trying To make a Profit Casting Bullets, I do it for my OWN Enjoyment, and i share EVERYTHING i know about it on here, in hopes of Teaching others how to Cast HIGH QUALITY Bullets

when you do the math it seems like a decent Deal (7,000 Grains per pound, How many of X Grain Bullets you will get from it) But as i have said MANY times, after Cleaning the impurities, Skimming the Dross, You don’t actually get a Full Pound, You lose more than you think

And it is VERY time consuming, Hand Casting that is. It takes my 20 pound Pot 45 Minutes to Melt when it’s Full, I have another 15-20 Minutes or so in Cleanup, Degreasing the Mold, and then heat soaking the Mold getting it up to Temp, By the time i Cast my 1st “Keeper” Bullet i am already in to it for 1 Hour, or a little more. And it Takes Close to an Hour to Cast 50 Bullets. Then I weigh EVERY Bullet and Keep to 1 Grain MAX. Then you have Lubing, & Sizing them, That takes a LOT of time as well. In short, There is a LOT of time that goes in to Casting a Perfect, FLAWLESS Box of 50 Bullets

The ONLY way I could sell Bullets as Cheap as Bullshop, is if someone was giving me the Lead Free, or i was getting it for near nothing. I pay 2 Dollars Plus Tax per Pound at Buffalo Arms for Certified PURE Lead, and that is as good of price as I have seen anywhere

No matter the Quantity, wether it’s 12 Bullets, or 112 Bullets You will need to use a Small Flat Rate Shipping Box, Lead is HEAVY, even 10-12 Bullets in a Padded envelope will end up costing you about the same as a Small Flat Rate, Therefore you are FAR BETTER OFF Using a SFRB, Which is $8.30 to Ship
You are spot on. I didn’t even consider clean-up, lubing, and sizing.

I have asked several here for samples and you have been generous to me. I still have some and now I have a gun that is capable of bringing out the best in them. I did offer payment but all refused. So as I see others needing supplies I try to pass along the generosity and give to them. No funds required. I get you cant make bullets for all of us. But when you post pictures of those beautiful works of art, and idahoron shoots them into water and shows us how effective they are, well, you cant blame us for wanting some of those. :D

Yeah, they lack in the website design department...but I wouldn’t expect anything else from hidden gem like that. I kinda like it. Once you get familiar with how it all works, then it’s like you have your own private bullet casting service. There is a reason midway USA or brownells doesn’t do the same thing... it’s too specialized. I don’t think you could scale it up and it would still work

Back