Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slowwalker said:
Boy those dishes look gooood!

Gm54 Makes some AWESOME looking dishes of Food!! If i lived anywhere near his neighborhood i would make it a REGULAR Habit to swing by and visit about Dinner time :lol:

I’m getting the Bug to Start a Few Plants! :D What would be wrong with getting a Few of these Ed Curry Reapers going Now? I could handle 3-4 of them under my Little Grow light, Keep the T5 right down on them so they Grow out more than up. How slow of Growers are these things? I don’t want to Run my Big Light Setup yet. What do you think GM54?

Sure go for it. Ive got 2 rocotos and 2 aji arnaucho in the window sill right now. Even picked a small rocoto off one already. :D I will be starting some more in January and the rest by February. Certain varieties love the additional time.

And on a side note i just made another sauce. A milder one for tacos and nachos

38grams of sun dried ripe Numex lumbre

Steeped in
2 cups boiling water
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tbs onion flakes.

Tossed in the lumbre and killed the heat. Let it cool. When it cooled i blitz it in the Nutribullet with minimal amount of the steeping liquid for a thin paste. Let it rest in the fridge a couple days. The liquid had way more zip than i thought it would. My lumbre were pretty hot.

Added to almost a pint
1 tbs lime juice
5 tbs of green ghost vinegar i made several months ago.
So roughly .37+ cup total of lime and vinegar.

I call it Nacho Lumbre after the movie Nacho Libre and because its for nachos :D
Lumbre in Spanish is "fire" btw.

That Sauce sounds Good! I plan on doing more Stuff like this, We love Hot Sauce, especially my Dad and i :yeah:

On a Side note, Those Burr gherkin’s were AWESOME! Have you ever saved back seed from them? My Dad is the one that was in charge of those, He saved Back Seed from them. I didn’t get to see the Plants, I know they started Late, Dad told me they were planted in less than ideal conditions, But closer to the End of our Growing season they really got going, He brought me a Plastic Grocery sack of Little ones, They were DARN GOOD! They Sure are funny looking things. Will the Seed he saved from these come back True?

As a matter of fact.......

I had 1 volunteer plant last season from the previous year. Somehow a seed got in a small pot so i replanted it in a raised bed. The original seeds from Baker Creek were hybrids but the gherkins i got from the volunteer were fine. They make about the best dill chips i ever had. AWESOME for cukes and onion salad.

Now, its a tiny bit tricky to save seeds. They need to be fully ripe and you place the seeds in some water for a few days. Then rinse them off and dry them on a paper towel. They have a slimy film on them that needs to be removed by the soaking process. Same way as saving other cuke seeds. Good seeds sink in the water and bad seeds float.
https://www.seedsavers.org/grow-cucumber

This was from last June. The plants love heat and love water. Very little fertilizing is needed. By mid July this thing was starting to cover the other beds. They out live regular cukes every single time.
dsgSEQF.jpg

Very cool looking plant!

Any place you recommend to buy these Seed? I’m trying to think ahead just in case Dad’s Seed collecting doesn’t pan out? I doubt that he went through what you recommend above, i will have to ask him how he did his?

YAY!!! they got them again. I almost typed they quit but i looked first. These are the ones i bought and should be the seeds you got from me.
https://www.rareseeds.com/west-india-bu ... -cucumber/

Adaptive seed had some but are now sold out
https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/product/v ... n-organic/

Fruition has some atm
https://www.fruitionseeds.com/Organic-J ... n-p/c9.htm

Ive got 2-3 packs left and probably that many from seeds i saved.

BTW get an old tire. The larger the better. Dig a hole about the size of the rim around a foot+ deep. Place the tire over the hole and fill the whole thing up with a soil that drains well. Its a cuke mound and the black tire helps warn the soil in the spring. It also holds in some water. By the time it gets hot in the summer the vines will cover the black tire up.

GM54-120 said:
YAY!!! they got them again. I almost typed they quit but i looked first. These are the ones i bought and should be the seeds you got from me.
https://www.rareseeds.com/west-india-bu ... -cucumber/

Adaptive seed had some but are now sold out
https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/product/v ... n-organic/

Fruition has some atm
https://www.fruitionseeds.com/Organic-J ... n-p/c9.htm

Ive got 2-3 packs left and probably that many from seeds i saved.

BTW get an old tire. The larger the better. Dig a hole about the size of the rim around a foot+ deep. Place the tire over the hole and fill the whole thing up with a soil that drains well. Its a cuke mound and the black tire helps warn the soil in the spring. It also holds in some water. By the time it gets hot in the summer the vines will cover the black tire up.

AWESOME Deal!! I will order first thing in the morning :yeah: Thank You MUCH for the Links! This is a WAY better Bet than Trusting Dad’s Seed collecting Method :lol: He knows a lot about this stuff, But I’ve never heard him mention the procedure you did above for Cucumber Seeds? I would almost Bet that he collected and Dried them Straight from the Burr Gherkin

What an AWESOME idea on the Old Tire as a Cuke Mound, I can see how that would work REALLY well Holding in some Water, I will definitely try it :yeah: I have seen the Old tire trick used for Potatoes, When the Plant comes up you place the Tire over it and Almost cover the Plant, and as it continually grows you keep adding More soil in the Tire just keeping the Plants head above the Soil, Do this until you have the Tire Completely full. A containment way of “Hilling” the Plants up.

South American style pot pie. I used my aji panca powder with the ground beef and Mexican chorizo. What makes this one more interesting is the use of Peruvian dried yellow potatoes (papas seca amarillo). A 15oz bag is a couple bucks at the market. I used half the bag for this.

Pic of the filling before adding the top crust.
VIn7OnF.jpg

GM54,That looks very close to the Rabbit Pot Pie I made last month...I have to quit looking at your pictures..it’s making me hungry :drinkers:

BTW i do keep fairly accurate notes on recipes i whip up. Never know when its gunna workout really well. You could probably make this pie using some subs for the couple harder to find items or i can show you where to find them.

GM54-120 said:
BTW i do keep fairly accurate notes on recipes i whip up. Never know when its gunna workout really well. You could probably make this pie using some subs for the couple harder to find items or i can show you where to find them.

Your food ALWAYS looks Amazing my friend!! :yeah:

I plan to Grow a good Bunch of Tomatoes this year for Salsa Making, i have seed saved back from 2 Varieties my Dad has kept going for Several years now. The 1 is called Whipper Snappers, talk about Prolific producers! They are ideal for Pots, the Plant Stays Fairly small, But man they Produce, and keep on producing! The other variety is a Little Yellow Cherry type that Dad has also kept For the same amount of time, These are my Wife’s Favorites of the 2, and I’m not so sure thay aren’t mine as well, REALLY GOOD! The Wife prefers these Smaller Tomatoes for her Salsa making? I’m not complaining, She does a good Job on her Salsa :yeah:

My Pepper Crop might be kinda Boring this year? Zapotec’s are definitely on my heavy Focus list, I really want to work with a Good HOT Jalapeño Variety, And be able to keep them True, Therefore I shouldn’t have them around any other annuum right? With our REALLY Short Grow season i have to Focus on Something that I know has time to make it here, It’s a Sad Sight to See these BIG, healthy, Super Hot Plants With Little flowers and Tiny immature pods all over them Run out of time!! I am pretty much gonna give up on them. My other thought is to let my Dad take the Zapotec’s after i get them Started and Going good, That way i can do a Bunch of Different stuff. Rocotos will be a Sure thing for me! I am excited to Try these 2 new Rocoto Varieties. Rocotos are a VERY Hot Variety that I know for Sure does well here, I signed up to be notified off Aji Oro Rocoto Seed but have not heard anything? I would really like to try those as well!

I did not get many aji oro seeds in my trade but if i get at least 3 to germinate i can spare some. I will look around and see if i can find a source.

GM54-120 said:
I did not get many aji oro seeds in my trade but if i get at least 3 to germinate i can spare some. I will look around and see if i can find a source.

Much appreciated!! But it’s no big deal if you can’t, I have these 2 new Varieties to work with, plus seed from 1 of my best Mini Red’s

Back