Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used some of dem dried taters for one of my favorites......Chicken curry and some really killer Japanese short grain rice. This one is quite a bit hotter than it looks. I tossed in about half of a minced yellow bonnet along with some milder pepper powders.

Curry is one of those things you pretty much hate or love.
osrYeXR.jpg

Gave mine a little sprinkle of Aleppo powder just for the flavor. :D
USKpV7J.jpg

Waiting on C. Reaper seeds to Sprout :yeah: i just started them the evening of the 20th, How long do these usually take to Sprout? I’m sure that Varies with Conditions, They are in a Mini Green house (Seed Starter) on my Seed Starting Heat pad, i had good luck with this setup last year. I hope some of these come up!

Any pepper close to "super hot" or hotter may take a long time to germinate. Just make sure to keep it damp and warm. Once they sprout its better to give them some fresh air so you dont get stem rot. My best success rate is a damp paper towel in a ziplock. Leave them in it just long enough for the seed to release from the sprout. Then transplant into good potting mix but dont go too deep. They will pretty much root themselves.

GM54-120 said:
Any pepper close to "super hot" or hotter may take a long time to germinate. Just make sure to keep it damp and warm. Once they sprout its better to give them some fresh air so you dont get stem rot. My best success rate is a damp paper towel in a ziplock. Leave them in it just long enough for the seed to release from the sprout. Then transplant into good potting mix but dont go too deep. They will pretty much root themselves.

I wish i had did the Ziplock bag this Go around but i am to late for that now, i just used the Jiffy type pellets that Swell up when water is added, I had REALLY good Germination success doing this same thing last year, Hopefully i at least get a few of these to come up :yeah: I don’t know what the Temp is inside the Mini Green house thing? I have it sitting on my Germination Heat pad, Little Water Droplets all over the inside of the Clear Dome Top. The Rocotos did AWESOME like this, I cannot remember how long it took them to Germinate though? I remember the others were faster to Germinate. I had 100% Success on the Rocoto’s Germinating doing this same method, I even covered the Dome with a Towel on them to Hold the heat in better. I am thinking a full week on these C. Reapers and I should start seeing something happen?

Houston, We have Lift off! C. Reapers from PuckerButt seed Co. have sprouted :yeah: 8 Full days to be exact, i can see 4 for sure. Good chance there will be more tomorrow morning, I only had 10-12 Seeds. These are gonna be REALLY tough to Grow here in our Climate, But i gotta try! These guys are gonna go under a Grow Light REALLY soon!

GM54, I have a Full bag of Pro Mix BX, I know we talked through this thread about a Mixture (Pearlite, and Pine Fines) I’m gonna want to Transplant these guys REALLY Soon, Tomorrow, Day after tomorrow? I don’t want them to get “Leggy” These will go under my little Single T5 Grow light that i used for the Rocotos last season (which did STELLAR :yeah: ) I can get this Bulb Right down on them like 2-3” This Little Single T5 Doesn’t put out hardly any Heat, i can EASILY hold my hand on the Top of the Fixture. Pearlite is the only thing I know i can easily go get, What Ratio to a Dixie Cup of Pearlite to This Pro Mix BX do you recommend?

ProMix BX is 75-85% peat moss, Get a bag of the biggest chunk perlite you can find. I would add about another 10-15% perlite to the BX. The ProMx HP is 65%-75% peat moss and thats the high porosity mix. ProMix BRK is what you want if you can find it. That one has the pine bark fines already. Its only around 50% peat moss.

Right now my 2 little rocotos are in a 50/50 mix or ProMix all purpose and a pine bark mix. A little worm castings too covering the top of the pot.

GM54-120 said:
ProMix BX is 75-85% peat moss, Get a bag of the biggest chunk perlite you can find. I would add about another 10-15% perlite to the BX. The ProMx HP is 65%-75% peat moss and thats the high porosity mix. ProMix BRK is what you want if you can find it. That one has the pine bark fines already. Its only around 50% peat moss.

Right now my 2 little rocotos are in a 50/50 mix or ProMix all purpose and a pine bark mix. A little worm castings too covering the top of the pot.

I remember you telling me about the Pro Mix BRK, I tried but couldn’t find that stuff anywhere Local, The BX was all I could find. Our Local Nusery carries the BX, He told me that he started carrying it for the “Other” Fellas :roll: Anyway, the BX is what i have to work with. I will go get Some Pearlite First thing in the morning, i might get a Bale of it? I would like to Rototill A Whole Bunch of it DEEP in my Little Garden This Spring (with respirator on!) Our Ground is FROZE SOLID right now. Pine fines is something i have not seen anywhere here in Bags to Buy? I could get LOADS N LOADS of Bark from Our Saw mills, But i would be afraid of that Stuff having Larch/Tamarack mixed in it, That stuff is HARSH. I used Larch/Tamarack Bark in my Front Flower Beds just for the Looks, The guy at the Mill Warned me that it would Kill flowers, i had never heard that before? We don’t have Flowers, just wanted it to Cover the Ground, that was 2 years ago and not 1 Blade of Grass has come through it!!

Ask your shop if they carry TImberline products. Timberline sells what they call Soil Conditioner. Its made from mostly aged pine bark fines.

It will be in either a white and orange or black and orange bag.
171a04e4-670b-4835-a5cf-e5a2e5af6ee0_1.8e687f1a2af88d04e1b791f141a752b0.jpeg

timberline-grow-media-50055100-64_1000.jpg

b3bb40a8-7533-49c2-81f1-92865e823045_400.jpg

Thank you GM54, i will check on those. I might just order a Bale of the BRK Stuff?

I ended up with at least 7 little Reapers that i can see, I made up a nice mixture of Pearlite and my Pro Mix BX, I have them Re potted to Dixie cups, and under Light 3-4” over them :yeah: i will get a picture of them when they are standing good in the next few days. There is a Good chance there will be a few more pop up in the next day or so? I tear the little lining off the Pellets and break almost all of it away when i Re Pot, I am only keeping 6 seedlings Regardless of how many more might pop up. The little Green House Grow setup i used this time was very different than the Bigger 72 Flat that i used last year, These pellets are more Woody? Instead of Peet, I’m thinking Coconut fiber? I didn’t pay attention and read the label

No mistakes this year :lol:
Pwj978nl.jpg

These are the remaining pucks from the little 36 plant Green house starter kit thing i used, as you can see they are quite different than the Peet Pellet type. Appears to be a blend of Coconut fiber? They done a Fine job :yeah:
bUncRj1l.jpg

Those do look like coco coir based pellets.

Mix up some of that Neptunes Harvest when they get a couple sets of true leaves. Its mild enough it should be fine. Promix has very little nutrients in it. I need to take pic of my 2 in the window sill. They are over a foot tall now. Probably gunna need to top them a little. They love this Happy Frog i got cheap.

I did step up to Jay Peach Ghost Scorpion this year. They are supposed to be hot. Got some brown bhuts and naglahs too. The brown bhuts look mean.

A guy about 90miles away grew these last year. Its a giant brown bhut, scorpion and reaper cross. Still waiting to find out if he is going to have seeds available.
8icdbjV.jpg

Them are some REALLY Nice looking peppers!! And i bet SMOKIN HOT!

Have you ever grown these Ed Curry C. reapers? Have you ate one?

Here is the exact Seed starting Green house thing i used this time, Just a Cheap Generic Looking Brand, But i sure like these better than the Peet ones i used last year, these are real “Woody” Fibrous type stuff
venSXvwl.jpg

Never grown or tried a Reaper. The ghosts ive grown are hotter than i can handle but i like the flavor....Or should i say the lack of a certain flavor common in some really hot peppers.

Jays Peach Ghost Scorpions are supposed to be pretty hot but not as hot as a reaper. They get great reviews though for flavor. I think i got a extra pack of those seeds from Jim Duffy.

These are now available from White Hot Peppers. They are supposed to be brutal
https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/product ... y-scorpion
leviathan-gnarly-scorpion-8_1024x1024.jpg

This guy does a ton of reviews and stuff on thehotpepper forum. If he says they are hot then they are HOT. Ive seen him eat stuff i cant begin to eat. Ive seen him eat bonnets like ive grown and barely bat an eye. About half way into the video you can tell he is HURTING. :D
[youtube]6nSyStjN3B0[/youtube]

Yep! That fella was Hurting!! Them peppers in the pic look awesomely MEAN!! :D

GM54, Have you ever used a Heat pad under Dixie Cups on seedlings you transplant? I thought about trying that with these? But I’m not so sure it wouldn’t be better to let them Get use to some Cooler temps? My house Rarely gets below 70, largest fluctuation is 65-72, We are getting really cold at night (it’s 22 out now) 65 is about the Coldest i have ever seen it in our house, i am up by 3am and get the Fire Going good, Doesn’t take long and the House is back up to 70, Do you think I should be using the Seed Starter Heat pad under these? I have a long time in the house with these Guy’s, I’m Afraid they will outgrow what Room i have, and lighting? I cannot Safely get Plants outside til Mid, Late May. So these Guy’s have a Good 4-1/2 months to go here in the House

These new little C. Reaper plants are about to get some more Lumens over them :D This little single Bulb 2ft Jumpstart light did REALLY good on the Rocotos last year. A single Row of cups is Perfect, But when you have 2 Rows of Dixie Cups this little Single bulb just isn’t enough, the plants start leaning inward toward the Bulb. Where i have this Little light setup is a Perfect Spot that i plan to continue using, a little 2 Ft long Setup is all i have Room for. I decided to Upgrade the Fixture to the Same Setup/Brand as my Big 4ft 6 bulb (Hydrofarm/Agrobrite 30,000 Lumens) This is a 2 Ft 4 Bulb, and lays down 8,000 Lumens, I will be using my little Jump Start Stand as It fits PERFECTLY in this Corner, The Little Stand is VERY Durable

This is the New one

9U4dYFIm.jpg

Out of all the brands ive looked at, those get the best reviews. Ive checked out a few at the "hippie" shops and the Agrobrites just look like they are made better. Sunblaster looks nice too but you have to buy each one separately. Plus you still have to buy the mounting bracket. That 4 bulb 2ft would have cost you double plus the cost of framing them into 1 unit.

So $90 is a steal for the Agrobrite and its well made.
https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLP44- ... B0049XGYWM

Yep, That’s exactly the one i ordered this morning, Free 2 day Shipping with Amazon Prime, Suppose to be here the 4th, Hopefully it arrives Safe :yeah: I am a little Skeptical about it Fitting in my little Jumpstart Frame though? I can’t find exact measurements of the Agrobrite outside to outside? This little Jumpstart frame is PLENTY Durable, inside the frame measures 24-3/4” Even though this little Jumpstart light setup is called a 2ft, the lamp housing is only 22” Wide. It’s plenty easy enough to build a little Stand if this doesn’t work? If it doesn’t work, knowing me i will find 4 or 5 little seedlings to put under the T5 Jumpstart :D You have created a Monster GM54 :lol:

Latest posts

Back