Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cukes and onions. Added some of my milder peppers to it too.
3jwHfCh.jpg

Also made a test batch of mild pepper rings. One of the peppers i used is new to me so im not sure how its going to turn out.
bmylWQI.jpg

This was my weekend.

My Brother in Ohio is raising peppers, Jalapeno, Serrano, Garden Salsa, Habanero and one other but not sure what he got ( he thought it was labeled Super chili and then he told me Cayenne). We sort of got hooked on Jalapeno Powder Last year (Completely my fault :D)and so he told me if he raised them (on the family farm in Ohio he normally raised Jalapeno and Serrano) and shipped them to me would I dehydrate and Grind them. So this is our family project to see how it would work out. I received 2 boxes of peppers Monday evening and started Friday evening. I bought a 10 tray dehydrator and it took 2 full loads. Finished this batch up just a bit ago. This started as 10 LB of Peppers, mostly Jalapeno, Serrano, and Garden Salsa.

Left to Right. The mystery pepper He just shipped a few. Then Hab Powder (Man that stuff lit my tongue up, Cried like a baby), Pints.. Serrano (Level with top of label) Garden Salsa, and on right is Jalapeno. The Garden Salsa are longer than the Jalapeno but pretty much same heat level, good mixed. I put a little of the Jalapeno/Garden Salsa Mix on my eggs and grits this morning and it was real good.:drooling: This batch gets shipped to Ohio for My Brother to try and pass some out. Expecting one or 2 more batches, we'll see how the plants they do.

upload_2019-8-4_14-27-23.jpeg

The 2 on the left are the Garden Salsa, the Little red (and some Green) were the one I'm not sure of. Its pretty warm but nothing like the Hab.

upload_2019-8-4_14-31-59.jpeg

Last edited:
Im going to powder some bolsa de dulce. Probably smoke some too. Its lower end jalapeno heat level. Good jalapeno powder is over $20/lb. 4oz jars are $10+. I can buy Hatch powder for about that price or less. Hatch powder is a little more versatile for stuff like beans. You get all the flavor with a bit less heat. I only managed to get 1 NuMex Big Jim planted so i wont have much of that. I should have plenty of "dulce" powder if things keep going the way they are now. Dulce meens sweet in Spanish.

BTW if you need a safe anti caking agent. Go to a brew shop and buy rice hulls. They are cheap. Grind them up fine and use a little (1%) in your pepper powder. Same product as Nu-FLOW but at a fraction the cost. They are only $1.49/lb at my brew shop. https://www.ribus.com/nu-flow/

BTW if you need a safe anti caking agent. Go to a brew shop and buy rice hulls. They are cheap. Grind them up fine and use a little (1%) in your pepper powder. Same product as Nu-FLOW but at a fraction the cost. They are only $1.49/lb at my brew shop. https://www.ribus.com/nu-flow/
I was wondering about the caking,I was calling it packing. I just smack the side of the bottle. I'll check it out Thanks!

Last year I found the Jalapeno powder and it is $7 for a 6oz bottle but that is a local store brand. But when I started looking at it online I was shocked how much it costs. I had planned to get a dehydrator anyway and my brother has a garden and he gets a 6 pack of plants for cheap, so seemed like a good idea. Shipping them to me and back adds to the cost though but it is our own!;):cool:

GM,

Do you Freeze bulk powder or do you find it not needed?

Thanks,

I do freeze some powder. I had Korean pepper flakes mold on me when i get 2lb bags of them.

Thanks! Was thinking I might need too. Seems another box of peppers is headed my way this week.:D

Bonnet hot sauce coming soon. They are such beautiful peppers.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet
JM0fq6e.jpg

Trenton Farmers Market Scotch bonnet
iIyA8R1.jpg

A few Scotch Brains for a little more zip :D
sShy1iz.jpg

I got more than this but some are set aside for seed stock. They will be added after i get the seeds removed
8bFEY0J.jpg

I tasted just a dab of the Hab powder I made. I was crying like a little baby for a good while and felt I about burned the tip of my tongue!:eek::hot:
Just looking at those Scotch peppers brings tears to my eyes.

My Brother told me that he has a lot of Super Chili peppers so those should be coming my way.

These are his plants. But he thinks they are pretty much done for the year. They have been in a bit of a drought.
upload_2019-8-6_19-10-53.jpeg

He just texted me and said this batch shipping tomorrow. More Jalapeno and Serrano later. I just started crying again looking at those habs in the left.

Several super chili at the bottom of the pic.

upload_2019-8-6_19-12-21.jpeg

This 6 pack is stupid hot. I sampled the peach ones. Hotter than the ghost from last year. The other 2 red ones should be quite a bit hotter. Probably mix these with one large sweet red bell from Turkey. Im not looking forward to tasting these. :p
M0EDYsv.jpg

I sampled a CARDI Scorpion.. Those things are insane. Capsaicin oil was oozing all over the inside. This pod was a freak and lit my up like never before.
uVQ2WV3.jpg

armG8WM.jpg

Got a pretty Reaper today also.
xyeTnNb.jpg

Finally got some small pods on the brown bhuts. Hope i still got time for some ripe ones. Got lots of pods i could pick atm but im a tad busy to deal with them right this moment.

Nalglah Brown are really pretty when you get a few on the plant to contrast the green
c4vQR6w.jpg

JPGS, great producer and shape but overall flavor is just ok. Think i liked the CARDIs and red bhuts better for flavor.
0IfmEkh.jpg

Really like the Scotch Brains from Juanitos. VERY attractive pods.
1TABFpX.jpg

CARDI Scorpions from Juanitos doing great and much hotter than i expected. Probably adding these to the "grow too list"
HUrBRgt.jpg

A mantis is guarding one of my Dragons Breath. About at 10 o'clock from the top ripe pod
8cJu41Z.jpg

TFMs from Trents seeds were a great choice for another bonnet to try. Not quite as pretty as Dreadies but does fine here.
S7M9rLr.jpg

Tekne Dolmasi ready to go. Bottom pic is a larger one for my seed stock when its ripe. These are a must if you like sweet red bells.
rH3TGn7.jpg

NlVzYVt.jpg

Anuum patch covered in volunteer burr gherkin vines. They dont climb the peppers so i figured why not let them grow to shade the soil. Got a almost ripe Zapotec in that mess too. :D
paPKcit.jpg

Liana long beans went into overdrive now. Picked almost a pound today and could have picked more. That trellis is about 8ft tall
p8IWq21.jpg

I can hardly keep up now. Had to sell some of these just because i hate messing with so many super hots. Well,.. and they sell for more than filet Mignon. :D I might have to grow way more Reapers next year if i can keep getting $7/100 grams. :p Ive barely touched my bonnets, SRP and Bolsa De Dulce plants lately.

Over 1600grams are mostly screaming hot peppers. :p
ShFIxiz.jpg

f1YoUCG.jpg

B7L0kn7.jpg

Joes Long Cayenne is a great producer and great flavor for a cayenne. I think i got another load i can pick today or tomorrow. Im already over a pound from a sorta smaller plant in a pot. Gunna make a batch of fermented sauce with a 2-4 Scorpions added to the mash.
X6NrfgL.jpg

8RmOkra.jpg

amazing looking peppers, I have a batch of reapers and ghost peppers no one wanted fermenting. Probably inedible for me and most people as way too hot aside from a drop here and there. Not sure what i'll do with it, but it was worth a try so we will see.

When unsure you can just freeze them. They still work fine for most stuff. Vinegar based mash even freezes well. Freeze it in ice cube trays. Use a cube of super hot mash added to other hot sauces for extra zip when needed.

I use mine by adding just a few to much milder pepper sauces. If you dry them you get mostly only the heat and not the typical super hot flavors as much. So for lets say.....a 2 quart cayenne ferment i would add maybe 4 super hots. 1 12oz bottle of Crystals hot sauce would get 1 pod added.

I did just that the other day because Crystals is so cheap and its so simple. I used 1 dried Scorpion, some aji panca powder and granulated garlic for flavor. Cooked that in 8oz 50/50 water vinegar. Mixed it with 12oz of Crystals for a heat increase without being brutal.
zO6JZVo.jpg

Dehydrator has been running away the last few days. A local market had Hatch chiles on sale for 98 cents a pound and i picked a load of jalas too. Deseeded and quartered them all first. Kicked up the temp to 130F and they dry fairly fast but still retain a nice color.

I did a test batch of supers the other day. Carefully cut them in half (sorta) but left the stems on. Gives me something to hold on to. I hate handling super hots. Man do they dry fast that way. Fumes though are pretty rough. Not gagging bad but it makes me sneeze like mad.

I got 600 grams of long cayenne (4 supers tossed in) fermenting and a big bag of bonnets going in a fermenter very soon. All very rough chopped so they are easy to hold down under the brine. The cayenne ferment is on its 5th day and already has a nice sour smell. I used some Cutting Edge culture starter to get it going faster. I could not risk them since it all that i have. Bonnets i can chance without the starter. I got lots of those.

Ripe Zapotec jalapenos for my seed stock. These are wicked jalapenos. Great heat for a jala and not a hybrid. Got quite a few more ripe on the other plants too. I should have plenty of extra seeds in a couple weeks.
jl0GpLa.jpg

Those are some pretty Jalapenos. I dried Peppers on 3 different weekends (2 Dehydrator runs each first 2 weekends and one full on the last) to make 3lb of powder. Jalapenos, Garden Salsa, Serrano, and a few Habs and Super Chili. I tasted a dab of each on my tongue to check for taste and heat. I almost cried like a baby when I did the hab.:eek: It sneaks up on you and when the burn starts it just keeps coming. The Jalapeno, Serrano and Garden Salsa powders were a BIG hit with my Brother (He grew them all), My Sister and my Nephew and his wife. Heading home this coming weekend and have about 20 shaker bottles to take there. They can't wait. :D We are not into the super hots, not sure why my brother raised the habs. They did not do all that well though. Had a lot of them that looked good outside but not on the inside.

This was about all of it for this year. We are planning for more next year since it went over so well.

upload_2019-9-16_18-19-27.jpeg

upload_2019-9-16_18-19-6.jpeg

Made a new Label as a sort of Family Joke.

upload_2019-9-16_18-20-17.jpeg

Latest posts

Back