Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished off each bottle with 1 Tsp of maple syrup, 1 Tsp lime juice and since i thought it needed just a little more zip....1 tsp of Burns&McCoy. Its still pretty mild compared to most sauces using super hots. Imagine A1 steak sauce with some heat to it.

Its Brown Bhuts, Naglah Browns and Aji Panca peppers with Caribbean spices and some black garlic. If you ever had Jamaican Pickapeppa sauce you would have an idea of the flava mon.
xa9e4e5.jpg

ITb7yKL.jpg

WL9hhgg.jpg

I bet that’s Good Stuff! These few Brown Bhuts i got from you ended up in Chile, Which was QUITE Tasty!!

I would like to get in to Some of this Hot Sauce Making, I know i would enjoy it :lewis:

This turned out great. In Spanish it would roughly be called Picadillo con papas secas or Carne molida con papas secas. Normally you would use fresh taters but i love the Peruvian dried yellow taters

Carne molida=ground beef
Papas=potatoes
Seca or secas=dried
Con=with
Picadillo would roughly translate to "hash"

Over 3lbs of ground beef and 1.5pounds of some locally made chorizo. Aside from the fresh onion i used dried red bell peppers and papas secas. Drained off most of the fat while cooking it down in 3 batches. Chorizo first then the ground beef x2. Letting the meat drain as i browned the next one. Instead of Aleppo i added some of my ripe jala and bolsa de dulce blend. Also added a tbs or so of Kirklands no salt seasoning and around 42oz of "Better than Bullion" beef stock.

Could not resist topping it with a little Mex cheese blend.
UAOhvrf.jpg

s3t3ZaE.jpg

3lbs ground beef
1.5lbs Mexican chorizo
About 1 14oz? bag of Peruvian dried yellow potatoes soaked for an hour first in hot water
1 can Ro-tel diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 large yellow onion diced
1-2 tbs Kirkland no salt seasoning
About 3 tbs of dried red bell pepper flakes because i was out of fresh green bells.
1 tbs Aji panca powder
2 tbs ground cumin
2-3 tsp of granulated garlic
2 tsp ripe jalapeno powder blend
About 42oz of beef stock

Lets see your “To Grow” List for this coming Spring.

I am REALLY gonna Focus on GOOD Eating Peppers, Good Heat, Even HOT, But mainly Really good Flavor that I enjoy eating. Jalapeño’s are TOP of my list, These new ones (Numex Lemon, orange, and pumpkin Spice) And DEFINITELY Plenty of the Sugar Rush peach you Sent me FOR SURE, I have REALLY High hopes for those!! I have explained them to my Folks, they are curious to try them, my Dad will Love em, if i can Grow em?
And of course Rocotos, The Rocotos are not only Good/HOT, But they Also look Really neat, they are actually a Pretty Plant :lewis: I plan to have them out in my Front yard, up close to my House like i did with the Mini Reds 2 years ago. They get very little Sun There, FIRST thing in the Morning for a few Hours and thats it. I might try a Few in my Backyard as well, that is FULL SUN, ALL DAY
I will definitely Grow a Few Super Hots (the JPGS you sent me) But NOT Many of them. I have a Hard time with that DISTINCT Chinese Smell, and Flavor, The Heat is UNREAL and I’m good with that :lewis: I’m just not Overly Crazy about the Chinese Flavor of the Super Hots. They do work KILLER though to ad to Food, Such as a Big Stew, Pot of Chile Etc. To BOOST the Heat :)

CARDI Scorpion...taking a chance with my own seeds. Getting more is being a pain. CARDI dont respond to my emails so they can suck an egg.
Nasty brown Reapers
Aji Oro
Numex Lemon Spice
Couple more jalapenos
Aji Panca
Bonnets
Antep Aci Dolma if i would quit getting jerked around on the seeds. I still have not gotten mine from Fords or a forum trade i made so im a bit pissed about that.
Joes Long Cayenne....loved these for cayennes
Chilhuacle negro [chee-WAH-lee]...Its a brown spicy bell from Mexico
Probably forgetting something else

Got all my seeds but the Anteps. I got my own but a seed mix up cost me this year. Cant chance it again because nothing else is like it. They were all Tekne Dolmasi. No heat at all but its a great sweet bell from Turkey. Antep aci dolma is a super sweet spicy bell from Turkey.

Do you know of ANY little Ornamental type peppers that are Actually Good eating? The little Thai Peppers are a SUPER COOL little Plants, SMOKIN HOT, But as we have talked before, They aren’t much for Flavor

Not really. They are all kinda YUCK as far as im concerned. Mostly just hot and bitter.

My Aji Arnaucho look pretty cool when peppers are in multiple stages of ripening. Taste like a slightly milder habanero. Plants stay pretty small and produce LOTS of pods.

Not really. They are all kinda YUCK as far as im concerned. Mostly just hot and bitter.

My Aji Arnaucho look pretty cool when peppers are in multiple stages of ripening. Taste like a slightly milder habanero. Plants stay pretty small and produce LOTS of pods.

I notice the New Mexico Chile pepper institute has Several varieties, VERY Colorful, Pretty darn cool looking!! I wish they spoke of Flavor on them, I think they would be fun to Grow just for the AWESOME Colors if anything else, but i hate to Waste Pots/Potting soil on something I likely won’t eat

Added Death Spiral peppers to the list last nite. I was looking into the Jay's RED ghost scorpion but these look just a little cooler. Not as hot as some supers but plenty hot at around 1.3mil SHU.

They ripen to a nice red after going through a couple stages. These are not ripe yet.
Death-Spiral-Chile-Plants.jpg

Those are NEAT LOOKING PODS!!

If there was a Market Around here for the SUPER HOT Pods i would Grow them for fun, and to Sell them :lewis: There’s Nothing COOLER Than Watching these GNARLY SUPER HOTS Grow out, The shapes, and forms they Take on :lewis:

Death Spiral change colors several times. Lot of them grow tails. Flavor is supposed to be pretty good before the agony kicks in :D

Made this today and if you like onion dip...Well you got to make this.

32oz of sour cream
8oz of cream cheese softened to room temp.
4 tbs of dehydrated green onions. Just the green tops. Save the lower part for other stuff.
1-2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp jalapeno powder...more if using for corn chips
1 tsp granulated garlic
1.5 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black or white pepper
Mix it all up good and chill for at least an hour.

This blows away Deans green onion dip. Just a hint of spice from the jala powder. Deans is 170mg sodium in 2 tbs. Green onions will dry in a dehydrator on 140F in about 4-5 hours. 6 small bunches made enough powder for 56oz of dip so its really cheap to make. 6 bunches cost me $3.

My cream cheese was 95mg in 1oz (x8 for the total)
The sour cream sodium is 15mg in 2 tbs (x64 for the total)
1.5 tsp of sea salt is 3540mg

Last edited:
Finished up my Scotch bonnet ferment today. Pasteurized and seasoned it. Turned out a fair amount hotter than i expected. Very tangy with a hint of pineapple. It needs to rest a few days so flavors combine better. Plus my mouth is on fire from all the tasting.
RzH7X9g.jpg

DNpzoIg.jpg

Got my Antep Aci Dolma seeds from Fords the other day and some from RFC. Took awhile but its all good now. Its a must grow pepper if you like a spicy bell. They are really sweet too.

I forget to include Aji Amarillo in the grow list i posted also.

My take on Mexican Charro Beans. Its like ham and beans with a kick.

1lb of dry Canary beans soaked over night
qPdepXz.jpg

1.4lbs of smoked hocks, a little spicy smoked sausage and ham lightly browned first. The sausage and ham goes in near the end. Kirkland no salt seasoning, cumin powder, granulated garlic, white pepper, aji panca powder (home grown), some paprika and turmeric for color.
7vlHI5u.jpg

A whole white onion softened in the sausage drippins and avocado oil
iti5ceF.jpg

Toss most of that in a pot with a couple bay leaves (except the beans). Let the hocks cook about an hour before adding the soaked beans. We want them hocks starting to fall apart first.
05K3oyt.jpg

7RVpgVg.jpg

I am Chomping at the Bit wanting to get Seedlings Started :) It’s stil Way to early here, The Reapers this Time last year taught me that, they Outgrew me FAST, I Topped them Down to Stobs 2 times for Sure, maybe 3 times? By the Time i got them out they Were BADLY Root Bound. This year I’m gonna make myself Wait til Much later! I really enjoy getting them Started, it’s pretty neat to See Green, Growing plants when there’s Stil Snow on the Ground, And Freezing.

My tomatoes will get started the latest, I’m not gonna start them til the Very last Week of April. Most of my Jalapeño type Pepper stuff will be the the 1st of April, That gives me 2 Full months with them in the house before they can Safely go outside. I did Build that 8 ft Hoop house, I’m sure it will get Plenty of Use this Spring

Small fabric pots will help a ton if seedlings need a lot of time inside. They self prune the roots. I need to start a couple plants soon. Really want more aji oro rocotos this year.

Small fabric pots will help a ton if seedlings need a lot of time inside. They self prune the roots. I need to start a couple plants soon. Really want more aji oro rocotos this year.

You know, i never thought about the Little Fabric pots? Awesome idea! They Air Prune as the Roots try and Extend from the Pots, isn’t that right?

Latest posts

Back