Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of my Plants are Planted Outside in the HARSH World :), Peppers and Tomatoes, All in Pots. Their 2nd Day out was a Windy Day (Go figure) The Wind Blew Fairly Hard All Day, Typical Spring Weather, I did nothing to try and Help, No Plants were harmed. It is Suppose to Start getting Warmer in the Next Few Days, Looks like Nice Weather Ahead, Plants will LOVE it :lewis:

We are still getting rain but at least we get some heat and sun in between. My first two Aji Oro are not too fond of it but the late start i put out is doing great. A couple of the maters are taking off now. Other than alfalfa meal, im out of dry nutrients. Makes it a real pain to fertilize anything unless i want to use some milorganite which i try to avoid for edibles. It looks like Alaska no longer offers the fish/kelp pellets.

I reckun ima gunna have to take a stroll upta Menards and grabs me a bag of Chick N Poo to get by.
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...gr243bb25/p-1500013962194-c-1463608034798.htm
bagshadow-1500_orig.png

ga-chart_1522519335.png

Got this on the way. Not nearly as hot as Burns & McCoy but im a sucker for all natural hot sauce that is low sodium. If you like REALLY hot but tons of flavor try Exhorresco. Its brutal.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BADXRRO
Ingredients: Apple cider vinegar, Blood orange concentrate, pears, applesauce, Scorpion peppers, brown sugar, Jolokia peppers, Red Serrano peppers, lime juice, ginger, garlic.

This one will flat out light you up if you aint skeered. :p
https://www.amazon.com/BURNS-MCCOY-Exhorresco-Hot-Sauce/dp/B07215M16K
Exhorresco_Label_Medusa_Fort_Collins_Colorado_Hot_Sauce_1024x1024.jpg

Got this on the way. Not nearly as hot as Burns & McCoy but im a sucker for all natural hot sauce that is low sodium. If you like REALLY hot but tons of flavor try Exhorresco. Its brutal.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BADXRRO

This one will flat out light you up if you aint skeered. :p
https://www.amazon.com/BURNS-MCCOY-Exhorresco-Hot-Sauce/dp/B07215M16K
Exhorresco_Label_Medusa_Fort_Collins_Colorado_Hot_Sauce_1024x1024.jpg

Don’t know if you’ve ever tried el Pato, but it is hot tomato sauce in a little yellow can with a duck on the label. Great on corn tortilla tacos!!! Not too hot, but it will make your eyes sweat....Great flavor as well..IMO

39 degrees here this Morning, I bet it’s right on Freezing 9-10 miles up the Rd at my Dad’s Place. Dad has seen it Freeze HARD Here the First Week of June. This Can be HARSH Country For Gardening, Especially Growing Super Hot type Peppers that require a Long Grow Season, It can be done But it takes a LOT of TLC, I’m better off to Stick to Jalapeño’s :lewis:

I stil want a Green House, I plan to Build one in the Next Year or 2, This Year i had to Prioritize a Wood Shed

We are having a week of 85-90Fs and today we got some rain. Nights have not been too bad though so the plants get a good rest in between. I tried the Rogue hot sauce. Not terribly hot. Mixed some with a really mild chunkie pineapple hab sauce. Smothered a couple pork tenderloins in it. Cracked out some good rice and some surprisingly good store bought kimchi (after i aged it another few months) :p

BaYKys6.jpg

Fv1lN9b.jpg

Rice has a classic Japanese seasoning on top called Furikake. This one is made with dried/smoked bonito. (katsuo) So its called Katsuo or Kastuobushi Fumi Furikake. Oops this one is Katsuo Mirin Furikake and made in Japan. The other one i get is made in Taiwan. Stuff is killer on rice.
k8zEnGU.jpg

Starting to get some peppers.

Spicy Slice jalapeno should be close to ready in a couple more days.
0caFNWv.jpg

Somewhat rare Aji Oro (rocoto). Cool looking plants with purple flowers and fuzzy.
0KW4yDy.jpg

Chilhuacle Negro. Uncommon spicy brown bell from southern Mexico.
OpG1Gm8.jpg

Aji Amarillo (baccatum) are starting to bloom now. Critical pepper for many Peruvian dishes
Jw7CH11.jpg

A few of my CARDI Scorpion peppers
yZqtre2.jpg

Some late start Brown Reapers and Death Spiral
EC8SE5u.jpg

Early Girl, Spicy sweet bell from Turkey, container cukes and a little dill
Qt1VwiV.jpg

On a side note. Tabasco had a free shipping deal going on. SHIP4DAD was the code.

I got 3 bottles of Tabasco Family Reserve, 1 Bottle of Tabasco Scorpion and 1 bottle of Tabasco Rocoto. The Family Reserve is just stellar if you like Tabasco. Aged 8 years vs 2 and they use white wine vinegar. The Scorpion sauce is way hotter that i expected but not brutal. The Rocoto sauce is a bit milder than regular Tabasco and flat out delicious. I smothered soft tacos with it the other night.

This is a MUST try if you like hot a sauce but dont want your face to melt.
https://countrystore.tabasco.com/products/rocoto-pepper-sauce
rocoto_pepper_sauce_final.png

Family Reserve if you like Tabasco. I cant find it cheaper anywhere
https://countrystore.tabasco.com/products/tabasco-family-reserve-sauce
03465---reserve_pdp_wr.jpg

Scorpion sauce for the "non-whimps" :p
https://countrystore.tabasco.com/products/scorpion-sauce
03132-large.jpg

Tabasco Rocoto??? Now that is COOL! I have always liked the Smoked Chipotle Tabasco, I get it Fairly regular

BTW i sampled a really small Numex Orange Spice....Well, its quite hot for a jalapeno. I would say at least 3 times hotter than a Mucho Nacho and slightly sweeter too.

BTW i sampled a really small Numex Orange Spice....Well, its quite hot for a jalapeno. I would say at least 3 times hotter than a Mucho Nacho and slightly sweeter too.

I sure hope my plants do good this year, it’s been an AWFUL Rainy Front Season, It just keeps raining! Awesome weather if ur a Duck, Not so much if you are a Pepper Plant. July and August should get HOT as usual, Hopefully anyway. I have lots of Little Flowers on about all of my Plants, If everything does good i will send you a Sample of these Lemon Spice, and Pumpkin Spice

Ive got to sample several others also. Most are really small still. The Spicy Slice are almost full size but the plant is still small so im removing the rest of the pods in a couple more days. One jalapeno i bought at the market was very tasty. They are called Kaboom Black Jalapeno. On the milder side but very good flavor. PepperJoe sells a black jalapeno but i have no idea if they use his seeds.

Tabasco still has free shipping if you get $50 in sauce. You cant get the rocoto sauce anywhere else but their store. Amazon has the Family Reserve and Scorpion but its more expensive. A 6pack should get you to around $50. I got the Family Reserve for my dad. He LOVES it. You can almost smother a taco in the rocoto sauce. It wont send you into orbit. One bottle wont last you long.

A little early but the plants need some size instead of pods atm so i picked them. One on the left is a store bought black jalapeno....Quite tasty too. Neither the Spicy Slice (center) or Early Flame (right) are all that hot but they aint duds. Nice jalapeno flavor with around normal jala heat.
hlmjsWf.jpg

On a side note...My Aji Oros, Aji Amarillo and Long Cayenne are starting to load up on tiny pods!!!!!

We are having a week of 85-90Fs and today we got some rain. Nights have not been too bad though so the plants get a good rest in between. I tried the Rogue hot sauce. Not terribly hot. Mixed some with a really mild chunkie pineapple hab sauce. Smothered a couple pork tenderloins in it. Cracked out some good rice and some surprisingly good store bought kimchi (after i aged it another few months) :p

BaYKys6.jpg

Fv1lN9b.jpg

Rice has a classic Japanese seasoning on top called Furikake. This one is made with dried/smoked bonito. (katsuo) So its called Katsuo or Kastuobushi Fumi Furikake. Oops this one is Katsuo Mirin Furikake and made in Japan. The other one i get is made in Taiwan. Stuff is killer on rice.
k8zEnGU.jpg
104 today 106 the next ten days. Yep June is here. A little late this year thank god. We’ve never tried growing peppers. May have to give it a shot

I need to start taking better care of mine! It’s been RIDICULOUSLY Wet here, I Notice quite a Bit of Yellowing, I’m gonna give everything a good Dose of Nitrogen (Tomato Fertilizer you sprinkle) That has always worked good for me in the past :lewis:

The trick to growing peppers in really hot climates is give them some shade after about noon to 1pm. They dont need to bake in the sun all day. If you cant plant in a spot like that get a shade cloth that has a bout 40% reduction. My super hots on my lower patio get no direct sun after about 2pm or so. These are in pots. They can handle quite a bit more sun in ground. The shade gives them time to relax during the hottest part of the day.

When it rains a lot its a battle. I struggled with it this year and last year. Dry fertilizer is way better for this than a liquid. Peppers hate having soaking wet roots all the time. It starves them of oxygen and creates a bad environment for good bacteria/fungi. They literally drown and even fertilizer does little to help. Fabric pots help when combined with a dry nutrient on top. ATM im waiting for mine to dry out just a little more so i can fertilize too. Nothing is bad right now but after all this rain im sure they will need some soon.

I will get more pics soon. My crazy mammoth sunflowers are about 3-4ft tall now and i just picked a pound of "pickle barrel" cukes. Its a container variety cucumber. Does awesome in pots. The thing is LOADED right now with flowers and tiny cukes.

Both Chilhuacle Negro are producing now.
8mwZpx7.jpg

dMFksV7.jpg

Aji Amarillo
Wsg9D78.jpg

9aJ36p3.jpg

tQidm0m.jpg

One Aji Oro is just loaded with small pods considering its early still
d6WUNTp.jpg

XukZG3J.jpg

Mh7Jb9K.jpg

Joes Long Cayenne are both loaded too.
jJKS2TT.jpg

Antep Aci Dolma has a bunch of pods just starting.
TPc63m4.jpg

This is why i love CARDI scorpions. They grow like mad and produce soon for a super.
nazc8qU.jpg

rK4wXrQ.jpg

Checkout the size of my mammoth sunflowers
O5zA81l.jpg

Deck crew
7KfnRsq.jpg

Lower patio crew
m4c0yOb.jpg

Peno and panca patch. Also had some volunteer long beans pop so i made a cheap trellis for them
cNu7U3V.jpg

And drum rollllllllll please............Your 3 brown mutant Reapers (back) and 2 extra Death Spiral. I should get at least a few ripe before the season is over.
oPgceKk.jpg

Latest posts

Back