Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Numex Orange are many times hotter than most jalapeno. Upto 30k SHU.

The brown bell is a spicy small variety for making Oaxcan mole. Many recipes dont have the authentic pepper listed because it is so uncommon.

This is the authentic pepper
https://spicetrekkers.com/products/spices/chilhuacle-negro-chile
When I get a garden back growing, that will be one pepper I will have to try growing. The times that I have made mole, I have had to substitute other peppers (dried red Oaxcan, dried chile Negro, dried Ancho). I also want to try growing true Hungarian paprika peppers.

PIC DAY!!!

I must have 500+ super hot pods out there. I got no idea what im gunna do with so many Scorpion pods let alone the massive amount of the others. :D

First off though Antep Aci Dolma are turning. Got big plans for a beef panang curry with some of these.
ylXYqJv.jpg

L0f74xY.jpg

Aji Panca are all loaded like this.
PfCVpKA.jpg

Aji Oro has a few ready to pick. LOVE LOVE LOVE these peppers. SOOO SWEET.
To10TCH.jpg

R15kEhc.jpg

My freak brown Scorpions. Cant wait to sample one of these nasty buggers. Should be a Naglah Brown and CARDI Scorpion cross.
HRFL30P.jpg

UkjFJa6.jpg

Scorps out the wazoo. Every plant is packed with pods.
X5iV5gQ.jpg

optib7G.jpg

Death Spiral are just so cool looking and probably as productive.
Euw3Hl2.jpg

AUm9C2j.jpg

No ripe mutant Reapers but look at these bad boys Lewis. Nasty looking suckers. Its a freaking jungle in there and hard to get pics.
a7Dgjmi.jpg

PfY9k1k.jpg

QE7GtF2.jpg

LeDQKwZ.jpg

My brother is over 6ft tall as a reference.....Mammoth Sunflowers
frTMaT0.jpg

Deck and patio group shots
epcejkG.jpg

ndVCkTW.jpg

Lower deck steps with Aji Amarillo
GFy0110.jpg

A few i picked. The orange Numex are brutal too. I had 2 sliced thin on a plate of nachos.
CzjnhWP.jpg

xXgA6J8.jpg

5p2hdJf.jpg

woZE1cI.jpg

Curiosity is a hard teacher. I just had to sample this nasty brown demon. A piece only a few times larger than a grain of rice will make most people gag. Vile to the bone like most brownish pods ive tasted fresh
DoAOeNd.jpg

The Death Spiral was maybe 50% as hot but my mouth was already ruined. Flavor was far more pleasant. Even the smell is way more inviting.
zqx27IT.jpg

PRjeNWt.jpg

I knew it would be hot. Both parents are over 1mil SHU. My Scorpions last year were as hot as my Reapers and Dragons Breath. The thing is.....brownish pods when fresh remind me of battery acid and a turpentine chaser. I very seldom find one i like fresh. Even my aji panca i dry first. Then make into a powder or paste.

HOLY COW!! AWESOME Stuff GM54!! EVERYTHING you have there looks AMAZING!!! :lewis:

Those “Mutant” Reapers look an awful lot like they did here for me, i am REALLY Curious if they will Stay Brown? The Numex Orange are DEFINITELY Orange, That is neat they are True to Color :lewis: I don’t have anything Ripe yet, My Dad and i had a Couple of Green ones yesterday (Not sure which variety we had? Since the Crows pulled my Markers 😡) The Flavor was AWESOME, Good Solid Heat, All around Great tasting Jalapeño, But the Plants are PATHETIC Little Things?? Almost like Dwarfs? And thats all 3 Numex Varieties

Those MAMOTH Sunflowers are COOL!! Are you sure your Brother isn’t a Dwarf? 😄 Those things look neat!! My Dad planted some Sunflowers this year, But they aren’t ANYTHING like yours, I will show him these when i get back out to Visit him.

These Death Spirals are just beautiful pods and the plants seem great sofar. Cool pods dont mean squat to me unless they produce well. Scorpions have brutal heat but almost none of the "yuck flavor" i pick up from lots of really hot peppers. Hard to describe, sort of chemical and metallic. They have less of that "habanero smell" to them so they are great for just adding zip to milder sauces.

Not one of my Numex is all that big. Good number of pods for plant size but im just not all that thrilled with them. I sliced up 2 ripe ones for a plate of nachos. They do light you up good. Flavor is good green or ripe. Not as bitter as Zapotec but not quite as sweet as Mucho Nacho. Not one pod yet had much size to it. Thumb size at best. Spicy Slice overall has been much better but not anywhere near as hot.....Chichimeca and Mucho Nacho are still the 2 best jalas i have ever grown. Great flavor, plant/pod size and production.

I cant wait to see what color the 3 "Reaper" end up. Very few pods are Reaper-ish when compared to mine last year. I had some beauties last year but ive seen Reaper shape all over the place. They are about twice the size on average i would guess. I will only save the seeds from the best samples.

That Sunflower variety is called Mammoth Sunflower. They are supposed to get upto 12ft tall. Heads upto over a foot across. They are just food for the pollinators and for the birds later this fall/winter.

Forgot to post this one. Its a Habanada that looked like hell for weeks. Then all of a sudden it turned into a small shrub. Habanada is a almost completely heatless habanero. They will ripen to orange and look a lot like a orange hab. Right now they are a very light green. I sampled a very early ripe one. It had no heat at all but a nice flavor.
VpWjd87.jpg

FtwDg9Y.jpg

I dont pull, clover, catnip or volunteer lime basil. Clover is actually beneficial and so is catnip. Clover provides shade for the soil and is nitrogen fixing like beans. Bees like clover and catnip but some bugs dont like catnip.

These are such cool looking pods. I cant get over how pretty they turn out. Flavor aint bad either for a super.
B0BnTfm.jpg

SKAuLWc.jpg

Starting to get some ripe really sweet and mildly spicy bells
sJZdo0W.jpg

First time attempting a VERY sweet chile sauce. Some adjustments might be needed. This is sorta of close to a Thai sweet chile sauce.
3/4 cup vinegar (rice or cane)
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 semi spicy red bell peppers or a ripe Anaheim (deseeded)
4-5 Joes Long Cayenne peppers
1" piece of ginger pealed and chopped
1 small shallot (golf ball size) finely minced
1 TBS minced garlic
Blend then simmer all the above except the sugar for about 10-15min
Add the sugar and reduce the heat for a few more minutes. Just take care not to burn the sugar.
Thicken with tapioca starch and water slurry if needed

1 TBS lime juice after sauce has cooled

First time attempting a VERY sweet chile sauce. Some adjustments might be needed. This is sorta of close to a Thai sweet chile sauce.
3/4 cup vinegar (rice or cane)
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 semi spicy red bell peppers or a ripe Anaheim (deseeded)
4-5 Joes Long Cayenne peppers
1" piece of ginger pealed and chopped
1 small shallot (golf ball size) finely minced
1 TBS minced garlic
Blend then simmer all the above except the sugar for about 10-15min
Add the sugar and reduce the heat for a few more minutes. Just take care not to burn the sugar.
Thicken with tapioca starch and water slurry if needed

1 TBS lime juice after sauce has cooled

How many folks in your family? I have noticed the vast amount of mainly hot peppers that you grow. Surely, you can't be eating all these peppers yourself?

I have truly been in love with spicy food since my friend Frank (7 years serving in Korea), and Andre (fellow medic born in Korea) introduced me to REAL Korean food at the local restaurants in Seattle & Tacoma. Since they could speak Korean, I often got to taste things that most Caucasian diners normally did not get to eat. Things that were not printed on the menus, but that you had to know to ask for.

Sadly, acid reflux keeps me from enjoying all but the very mildest of spicy foods any longer.

Your peppers look great.

Spent a short while in Osan. Frankly i dont find the vast majority of Korean food to be all that spicy. Its not mild but a good Sichuan/Chengdu style Chinese hot pot is quite a bit hotter. Thai is often much hotter still.

I make kimchi jjiggae and my own kimchi often. I even use pepper flakes imported from Korea for my better batches. Ive grown my own Korea peppers too. Most are quite a bit milder than cayenne.

Spent a short while in Osan. Frankly i dont find the vast majority of Korean food to be all that spicy. Its not mild but a good Sichuan/Chengdu style Chinese hot pot is quite a bit hotter. Thai is often much hotter still.

I make kimchi jjiggae and my own kimchi often. I even use pepper flakes imported from Korea for my better batches. Ive grown my own Korea peppers too. Most are quite a bit milder than cayenne.
Whenever I would order the spicy Korean dishes, Andre would usually have to force the wait staff to give me "5 ☆". Especially, if we were eating in a new restaurant where he did not know anyone (He lived his teenage years in Seattle).

Most of the time I would have the kitchen staff peeking out at me as I took the first bites. I then knew that the cook had stuck it to me, and I was probably eating 10-15 Stars worth of heat.

After the first bite the sweat would usually be pouring off my forehead, and pooling in my hair, and collar.

My sinuses would INSTANTLY clear, with snot pouring out my nose; requiring me to use up every napkin at every unattended table around me in order to bring it under control.

Afterwards, I could eat at any of those restaurants alone, and receive exemplary service, having paid my dues ,so to speak.

Go try a Thai place. Ask for Tom Yum soup like he would make it for a Thai man. Thai peppers are way hotter than anything ive tried from Korea.

Got my first ripe Habanada. I may have finally found a "sweet habanero" worth growing. Pod is nicer size than other "dulces" ive grown in the past.
qDOzIyt.jpg

Heads up on grow bags. I got these on the way to checkout. 20 7gal bags are $25.99 or a 10 pack is $18.99. I got 3 years from the Winners brand but they are much more expensive atm.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086DHF34J?tag=forumyield-20

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back