Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afterwards, I could eat at any of those restaurants alone, and receive exemplary service, having paid my dues ,so to speak.

We have a couple outstanding authentic Korean, Chinese and 1 great Taiwan place here. I also had a Chinese friend that took me to a couple of them. He introduced me to jjamppong. Its a spicy seafood noodle soup from Korean. Its also somewhat popular in areas of Japan and China. Ive found you have to tell the waiter no less that 2 times I LIKE SPICY. Ive gotten Sichuan beef noodle soup a couple times at one of our better places that was just outstanding. They sort of freak out when they see you dive into a bowl of soup like that.

My favorite Korean place is known for the huge amount of Banchans that come with all the meals. They are little side dishes like kimchi. I adore one called Kkaktugi. Its a spicy fermented radish made in a similar manner as cabage kimchi. I get some pretty amazed looks when i ask for seconds on the banchans. They almost always ask if ive been to Korea. Truth be told though i was not a huge fan of Korean or Japanese food back then. Fried rice, curry and tempura were the main things i would eat.

Habaneros are the best pepper for cooking,,to me,, I add one or two to every meat or soup dish I cook,,to just pick up and eat would be devastating to me,,as most people,, cooking opens up a whole other dimension to a habanero, many people never try it,,not realizing the excellent flavor

I add a habanero or Scotch Bonnet to Caribbean curries. They called it a floater. For mild its removed and for spicy you leave it in until it cooks away into the sauce. Habanero also goes really well with sweet like a pineapple habanero sauce over chicken or pork. Mild habanero flavor is also stellar with beans....That is where habanero "dulce" come into the picture. They are often called Aji Dulce which translates into sweet pepper. Many are members of the habanero family (chinense). Habanada is just a man made hybrid aji dulce. Numex also offers one called Numex Suave. Its a critical part to some Caribbean and South American bean dishes. Such as black bean stews.

Many of those dishes are not spicy or only slightly. Such as Brazilian Feijoada or Cuban bean stew is very mild usually.
https://leitesculinaria.com/84803/recipes-black-bean-soup.html

Todays ripe pods however are anything but mild. They will make a habanero seem like a jalapeno. I had 1 ripe spicy bell also.
GEA9g7y.jpg

jcn9jSF.jpg

Almost the last of my brown Scorpion crosses... There is one more out there.
S3Vx1ku.jpg

Death Spiral (top), Long Cayenne (middle), Numex Orange spice (bottom left) and Aji Oro (bottom right)
3RjmB39.jpg

Orange Spice are dinky little things. This is about the largest one ive gotten.
cxw8rkW.jpg

AND........YES Lewis the seeds you sent me are producing brown pods. I found 2 starting to ripen on 2 plants so at least 2 plants will produce brown pods.

It Burns Burns Burns

Last edited:
Gm54-120,,have you seen this pepper before? Been trying to identify it

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_132616768.jpg
    IMG_20200806_132616768.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200806_132554818.jpg
    IMG_20200806_132554818.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 12
I don't feel the burn Except in my pocket book. You spend a lot of money for your cooking hobby. I'm going to start calling you Julia Childs 54.
You put on quite a photo display for a muzzle loading forum. I prefer the guns, can't shoot a pepper, Or maybe I can.
If you have a veggy stand in front of the house more power to you
Make new friends and recover some cost.
You gotta have some one helping you. Or maybe not. (trolling)

We have a couple outstanding authentic Korean, Chinese and 1 great Taiwan place here. I also had a Chinese friend that took me to a couple of them. He introduced me to jjamppong. Its a spicy seafood noodle soup from Korean. Its also somewhat popular in areas of Japan and China. Ive found you have to tell the waiter no less that 2 times I LIKE SPICY. Ive gotten Sichuan beef noodle soup a couple times at one of our better places that was just outstanding. They sort of freak out when they see you dive into a bowl of soup like that.

My favorite Korean place is known for the huge amount of Banchans that come with all the meals. They are little side dishes like kimchi. I adore one called Kkaktugi. Its a spicy fermented radish made in a similar manner as cabage kimchi. I get some pretty amazed looks when i ask for seconds on the banchans. They almost always ask if ive been to Korea. Truth be told though i was not a huge fan of Korean or Japanese food back then. Fried rice, curry and tempura were the main things i would eat.
If you have ever been in a room full of Koreans that have been eating Kimchi and smoking their cigarettes You haven't lived.
Kimchi takes some getting used to. OK for a small side dish if you can get past the smell
Tempura is maybe Japanese Tempura is not Japanese.
I spent many days working in Japan they eat very little fried food , mostly fresh from the sea and vegetables . Their food chain is about 2or 3 days to the table. Much better than we have in our country.
Beef is all used, they eat all parts of a cow including the stomach.
Kobe beef is some of the best in the world. A steak in US dollars would cost about $120.00 per 2 lbs.

I lived in Misawa for several years. My stay in Osan was much shorter. Ive eaten more kimchi than i could remember. Ive had kimchi that was over 2 years old. So im quite familiar with kimchi.

That pepper has 2 traits that stand out.

1) Stems are fuzzy
2) Pods face the sky

My guess would be goats weed pepper

Thank you one of our employees brought it from Mexico it is very very very hot,I thought about saving the seed to grow and sell to our customers here in Southeast Texas but I have no identification for it ,,appreciate the help

OK Saw you guys flying F-100's In V.N. Took a ride in a C-130 and a C123. We had three 0-1 Bird dogs on our airfield used for forward observation.
We were flying Grumman OV-1 Mohawks over Cambodia and Laos.

My family was there for an entirely different purpose known as the elephant cage. UNIVAC had the contract for the main frames that stored intel data for numerous agencies.

ANFLR-9 antenna array...Sorry no pics of it from back then. This one is many years later.
2GBo8Np.jpg

I lived here...Maybe 10-12 miles from the ocean. Seems like it was a bit less than that though. The base was around 5-6 miles from the ocean
ixwAjhN.jpg

One of the most beautiful places i ever saw was Lake Towada. We fished there a few times. The street markets were wonderful. Fresh seafood galore. They even had a stall with cultured pearl oysters. Give the guy a few yen and pick one. A tavern closest to our house specialized in fried oysters and beer. A dozen oysters were cheaper than the bottle of beer. Another place had maybe 6 tables on the floor. You sat on cushions to eat. It was a tiny little place. The owner of that place came to the states not long after we returned. He opened a restaurant in Omaha not too far from us. Eating there was a multi course banquet.

I can assure you, my food "hobby" is far cheaper than trying to find places with the same food. Some of the peppers i grow will easily sell for $7/100grams at the farmers markets. Some are even hard to find online. When you do they are stupid expensive. A tiny bag of dried aji panca is $20ish online. You wont ever find them at any of our local specialty markets and no other pepper can replace them for some Peruvian dishes. One serving of aji de gallena is $15 or more. I can make it for a couple dollars. Its just a mild creamed pepper chicken and potatoes but requires aji amarillo peppers. I can buy those but they are canned and the pepper paste for the good stuff is over $10 a jar.

I can easily get $15-$18 per USPS flat rate box of my fresh pods.

Last edited:
Pendereys in Texas used to sell a decent selection of hot dried peppers in their catalog. Some of the ones that you grow. And, yes the prices are high for dried aji panca peppers.

Ive gotten this brand before but in the powder which is sorta reasonable. Whole dried pods though are expensive. Thats more than good fillets
https://burmaspice.com/product/aji-panca-whole/
Ive gotten it a little cheaper on Amazon
https://burmaspice.com/product/aji-panca-powder/
My homegrown though i know what they were fed and what pesticides were used...NONE other than neem oil that is completely safe for humans.

This is the good stuff and i can make the same thing with my pods WAY cheaper
https://www.amazon.com/Zócalo-Peru-Organic-Panca-Paste/dp/B003D0MP52

These Numex Spice Jalapeños have been a Bummer to say the Least, I won’t be growing them again. I will get some Pics soon, hopefully i start getting more Ripe Pods soon.

Ive got a few ripe and they are hot. Other than that i just cant get into them. To be fair though neither the Spicy Slice or Early Flame have produced a single rip pod. While both produce ok and have good flavor.....I love a ripe jalapeno for sauce. I would have loads of ripe ones by now if i had Mucho Nacho or Chichimeca. They have done great every time ive grown them.

Latest creation and i think this dog is gunna hunt. I bought some 365 ripe jala sauce at Whole Foods. Kinda mild for my tastes, a bit too thin and just a tad too vinegary. I thought this needs some zip and some natural sweetness without adding sugar.
SpzzGV0.jpg

QagkaBE.jpg

Tasty and not too hot. Gunna try another batch when my aji amarillos are ripe.
1 Bottle 365 red jalapeno sauce
2 Numex Orange Spice (deseeded)
2 Aji Oro (deseeded)
1 Tsp lime juice

Blend the hell out of it in the Nutribullet.

Latest posts

Back