Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be afraid...BE VERY AFRAID. Yes, Lew they are scorching hot evil little buggers.
pF819Hp.jpg

cggYGZj.jpg

jgwPfZ3.jpg

Chopped some peppers (all very mild but 1 jalapeno) and 3 red shallots for a sofrito. Making more or less a chilli with beans today.
0rPBXyv.jpg

Last edited:
That looks good. BTW thanks for the info on sprouting pepper seeds. I got a late start sprouting in late Feb. but my plants are now about 3ft. tall. I'm speaking of the Brazilian starfish. They are just now putting on pods but I'm confident they will ripen before frost where I live. I planted a few cayenne, jalapeno', and some Hungarian hot block, besides bell peppers. Thanks again for the help.

Ive been wanting to try these for awhile since i ferment a fair amount of cabbage and some peppers too. I dont like using my regular kraut/kimchi fermenter for super hot peppers. Getting the heat out of them concerns me a little. These fit Mason jars and include a pump to remove the air from the ferment. No air means yeast and mold have little chance of growing. Lacto B however does not need oxygen to thrive. The lids will vent as the lacto bacteria creates CO2.

Mine should arrive in a couple more days. I have glass weights already so i just got the 3 lids with pump set for $25.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJVVORE
51dyF%2BGFYlL._AC_.jpg

Ripe jalapeno jelly. No salt added. Just vinegar, peppers, organic sugar, fresh lime juice and pectin.
vEYP5lQ.jpg

And them lids seem to work great. Started a small batch of slightly spicy kraut.
KqsvlqS.jpg

Jalapeno and bacon scalloped taters. This is actually very mild. Almost all the peppers are on top while it bakes. Its only 2 good sized jalas with seeds removed. Super simple recipe too. Just get 1 box of scalloped and 1 box of au gratin. Half the amount of butter it calls for but add some real cheese. Pour 1 pack of the dried taters in your casserole dish. Top them with half the cheese and half the bacon. Its only a couple tbs of bacon. Repeat with the other pack of dried taters, cheese and bacon. Pour the heated sauce (per directions) over the dried taters. Add some chopped jala on top and bake per directions. Thin sliced onion optional.
yGAerQX.jpg

SUa47dE.jpg

Been playing with my Instant Pot. Soaking beans and long cook times are now looking like a thing of the past for me. These are ready after a 30min cook time and natural pressure release. The beans were about perfect in texture. Toss in some lightly browned little smokies and set it to "keep warm" or "slow cook" until you are ready to eat.

Frijoles Charros aka cowboy beans with bacon and lil smokies. Toss it all in the instant pot (except the lil smokies). 1lb of dried rinsed beans and 5-6 cups water/stock. Plus the bacon crumbles and seasonings. I used a quart of no salt added chicken bone broth and 2 cups of water.
0o8ub74.jpg

regoDxX.jpg

Been playing with my Instant Pot. Soaking beans and long cook times are now looking like a thing of the past for me. These are ready after a 30min cook time and natural pressure release. The beans were about perfect in texture. Toss in some lightly browned little smokies and set it to "keep warm" or "slow cook" until you are ready to eat.

Frijoles Charros aka cowboy beans with bacon and lil smokies. Toss it all in the instant pot (except the lil smokies). 1lb of dried rinsed beans and 5-6 cups water/stock. Plus the bacon crumbles and seasonings. I used a quart of no salt added chicken bone broth and 2 cups of water.
0o8ub74.jpg

regoDxX.jpg

Man that looks Good!! :drool:

Be afraid...BE VERY AFRAID. Yes, Lew they are scorching hot evil little buggers.
pF819Hp.jpg

cggYGZj.jpg

jgwPfZ3.jpg

Chopped some peppers (all very mild but 1 jalapeno) and 3 red shallots for a sofrito. Making more or less a chilli with beans today.
0rPBXyv.jpg

It looks like them Mutant Reapers turned out good for ya, Are you gonna grow them anymore?

I stil get a kick out of the ”CRICKETS“ Email response i got back from PuckerButt when i asked what could possibly have happened? :) My C. Reaper Seed was in a Sealed Pack DIRECTLY from them, And i get Chocolate Pods from 1 Plant :) The cool part is they remained True for you (Chocolate) from the Seed i sent ya

They are great. I made them a tad too spicy. Used a can of chopped jalapeno from Walmart. Its a tiny can but them little guys got some zip. Nothing brutal but they aint duds either. Only other spicy pepper was 1 tsp of chipotle powder. For people that want mild i would guess maybe 1 chopped mild jalapeno is about perfect or half the can from Walmart.

This is stupid simple to make and the spices are common. It dont taste like chilli that much. Just Google charro beans. Pick one recipe you like. The critical thing is the bean to liquid ratio in the instant pot. They should be a little soupy but if you like thicker then use 5 cups of liquid total.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=charro+beans

It looks like them Mutant Reapers turned out good for ya, Are you gonna grow them anymore?

Thats them, They are brutally hot. I might grow them again.

I got a mutant brown Scorpion in a small pot i was able to bring inside. I saved seeds from the year before and 1 plant gave me brown pods. All the rest of the Scorpions this year grew true. I kept the brown one away from all my other plants. Before i brought it in i trimmed it back to about a 9" stump. Its been thriving in a window sill that gets hit with warm air from a heating vent.

The brown scorpion had to have crossed with a Naglah brown i had next to it from the year before. Ive got some of the seeds saved from this years pods too. I will see if they throw off brown pods. Other than being brown they look pretty much like a CARDI Scorpion. Out of all super hots ive tasted i prefer the flavor of the CARDIs.

Thats them, They are brutally hot. I might grow them again.

I got a mutant brown Scorpion in a small pot i was able to bring inside. I saved seeds from the year before and 1 plant gave me brown pods. All the rest of the Scorpions this year grew true. I kept the brown one away from all my other plants. Before i brought it in i trimmed it back to about a 9" stump. Its been thriving in a window sill that gets hit with warm air from a heating vent.

The brown scorpion had to have crossed with a Naglah brown i had next to it from the year before. Ive got some of the seeds saved from this years pods too. I will see if they throw off brown pods. Other than being brown they look pretty much like a CARDI Scorpion. Out of all super hots ive tasted i prefer the flavor of the CARDIs.

The Heat of the Super Hots is IMPRESSIVE & THEN SOME But i just can’t hack the Capsicum Chinese Flavor, it does me in 🤢

On a sidenote, I’m EXCITED to get my Plants Started :p Have you done your This years To Grow list?

No i have not. All i know for sure is

Aji Oro--rocoto, i got one in the widow sill right now.
NuMex Jalmundo and Suave Red....seeds came a couple days ago.
Brown Scorpion in the window sill.
Aji Panca and Aji Amarillo
Antep Aci Dolma...i got a huge supply of seeds now if you want to try these awesome pods. Sweet and almost jalapeno hot. Early pods are milder. Late season got hotter.
Gunna grow out another round of Joes Long Cayenne. I got a feeling mine crossed by the way last years looked vs the year before. I want to see how they turnout this year.
Probably more Death Spiral because they look so cool and crank out pods. Baker Creek probably still has seeds too.
https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/hot
I got high hopes for the Jalmundo but i will still look for Mucho Nacho again. Maybe Bonnie will bring them back. Its still my favorite jalapeno. I will grab another Habanada when they got seedlings locally. The Numex Sauve is supposed to be very similar.

Made my favorite coleslaw. This is the original recipe. Dont worry the Rothchilds pineapple hab sauce is very very mild.
https://www.robertrothschild.com/blogs/vegetarian/roasted-pineapple-amp-habanero-coleslaw
Mine is just slightly different and i use no oil in it.
1 14oz bag Coleslaw mix, store bought
1 cup Mayonnaise (Dukes)
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp. Robert Rothschild Farm Roasted Pineapple & Habanero Dip or Sauce
1 Tbsp. Lime juice
2 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar (optional but i like it sweeter)

Let it rest at least 4 hours in the fridge. Overnight is even better. Only about 1300mg sodium in the entire batch if you use Dukes mayo.

Just blended down the Cayenne/Numex ferment from Sept 15th. Nice tangy Louisiana style hot sauce tang to it. A few more weeks in the fridge and i will cook some down for a sauce. Quite tasty just as it is but the flakes are a bit tough. Im going to mix some of it with a little rocoto paste too.
wCFOca1.jpg

D8vQwDa.jpg

2 Cups dried black eye peas (soaked over night)
1 Quart chicken bone broth (no salt added)
1.5 Cups water
1 TBS Kirkland no salt seasoning
1 TBS Dried red bell flakes
1 TSP Kirkland granulated garlic
2 Bay leaves
1-2 TBS tomato paste or powder (optional)

Cook all of the above on a low simmer for about 45min. Adjust with more water if needed. Should be close if you soaked your beans over night.

Saute your "sofrito"
Dice a pound or a little more of your favorite smoked sausage in a little good oil. I use avocado oil usually.

Set the lightly browned sausage aside and leave as much oil in the pan as possible. You will need this for the sofrito.

1 Medium onion diced
2-3 stalks of celery diced
1 good sized jalapeno deseeded and diced
2 TBS of crumbled bacon

Saute all the above until the onions are softened and set it aside until "beans" are about half cooked. Should be close at 30-45min. You can add them right away if you dont mind the onion melting away to nothing. I like more pieces of onion left.

Add the sausage to the beans about 20min before they are done.

1-1.5 cups of washed and chopped collard greens or Kale. Add your greens to the pot just long enough so they are cooked to your liking.

Once its all comes together you can adjust your salt/pepper and any additional heat you like.

Last edited:
Cow peas are a cookin so i got the rest prepped. Greenridge Farm Naturals smoked sausage without added nitrites.
Onion, celery, jalapeno and bacon bits it one bowl. Went more authentic and used collard greens. Sweat them first in a little of the sofrito
x0GqUdX.jpg

tSiisCd.jpg

wrwFdPy.jpg

Starting to thicken a little now.
UDrQfZR.jpg

Plated and garnished with fresh culantro and Tabasco. Warm naan on the side.
pJRwiVo.jpg

Last edited:
If you like to watch people eating hot stuff, First We Feast (Hot Ones) videos are a great. They talk to the celeb or whoever while snacking on spicy wings. Each new wing with a hotter sauce than the last. Some of these videos are a riot watching people sweat while trying to do the interview.

WARNING SOME DO HAVE ADULT LANGUAGE

Latest posts

Back