Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like spicy but Jalapeno serrano Brazilian starfish are about all I care to enjoy in the heat dept. In years past I had eaten some pretty hot ones that actually gave me a stomach ache and made me sick but not anymore. At 65 I enjoy the flavor of peppers even and especially raw or grilled with the afore mentioned being my upper limit. Call me a sissy or whatever but I know to quit while I'm behind.:hot:

Is this hoarding too? Our local grocery chain has quit carrying this sauce and it was on clearance. So i cleaned out 1 store (about 5 bottles not shown) and left less than 10 bottles at the other store. I took all the ghost sauce because its just fantastic. Quite mild for "super hot" sauces too. Tabasco Scorpion sauce is hotter than all of them.

SCORED for $3 a bottle. Its almost $10 a bottle on Amazon and about $6 a bottle plus shipping if i order it from the Lola website.
RzjnaQ1.jpg

Is this hoarding too? Our local grocery chain has quit carrying this sauce and it was on clearance. So i cleaned out 1 store (about 5 bottles not shown) and left less than 10 bottles at the other store.
👍
If they're clearance priced then it aint hoarding. Buy it all before they throw it away or it ends up expired and for sale at a dollar store.

Is this hoarding too? Our local grocery chain has quit carrying this sauce and it was on clearance. So i cleaned out 1 store (about 5 bottles not shown) and left less than 10 bottles at the other store. I took all the ghost sauce because its just fantastic. Quite mild for "super hot" sauces too. Tabasco Scorpion sauce is hotter than all of them.

SCORED for $3 a bottle. Its almost $10 a bottle on Amazon and about $6 a bottle plus shipping if i order it from the Lola website.
RzjnaQ1.jpg
You missed stocking up on toilet paper , if that was on my shelf the other would be essential ./Ed

I buy baby wipes by the 1000 pack or larger. :D Im not joking but the Lola sauces are not all that hot. Just a tiny bit hotter than regular Tabasco or Crystals. The Lola ghost pepper sauce is probably the best tasting milder hot sauce i ever tasted and i make LOTS of hot sauce.

A few of my Sugar Rush Peach, and 4 little Thai Plants from Seed i saved a Couple years back, The Thai’s are more “Novelty” Like little Bonsai Tree’s, They are SCORCHING Hot little Things!

Sugar Rush Peach are my Favorite Pepper (I got my Seed Start from GM54, Thanks again :lewis:) This is gonna be a “Staple” Pepper here, Everyone that has tried these have loved them. The Little Plants are Doing good under my Small 2 Foot 4 Bulb Agrobrite T5 Light
0b5mlBc.jpg

The big winner here from everyone was the Antep Aci Dolma although they dont work well pickled. Much too thick unless you cut them into strips. Anteps look almost like a typical bell pepper but they are sweeter and have some heat. Occasionally upper jalapeno type heat. Most would be on the lower end though. I got some started from 2 seed sources this year. One from select pods from last year and one from Refining Fire Chiles seeds.

My mutant brown Scorpion i over wintered has been getting sun each day its nice outside. I had one CARDI Scorpion last year in a tiny pot that had brown pods. I know what happened. Its moma was grown next to a Naglah Brown the year before. They crossed. Instead of saving seeds from last years pods i saved the whole plant. This year i will keep it isolated and save those seeds. Pods last year were some real bruisers. :D

I got 1 Aji Oro i overwintered also. Its already taking off. It loves this spring weather with cold nights. I will put it in a larger pot soon and have pods by July.

Grow this year is smaller. More pots/beds are devoted to maters and greens. Gots me sum collards and kale going already. I got horseradish and chives already planted. Going much heavier on the jalapenos this year too.
Aji Panca germinated
Numex Jalamundo germinated
Numex Suave red germinated
Joes Long Cayenne germinated (possibly crossed with Thunder Mountain Longhorn)
Antep Aci Dolma germinated
And a few manzano that probably wont do anything this year. I kinda doubt they will even produce in my climate.

The rest are seedlings that will be here in a few more days
7 Pot Madballz
Trinidad Scorpion (different pheno than CARDI)
Aji Panca
Mucho Nacho x2
Golden Greek

Simple salsa. Its more or less the recipe from Ro-tels site which turns out pretty good too.
https://www.readyseteat.com/recipes-Zesty-Fire-Roasted-Tomato-Salsa-7709?brand=23
Upscaled and my changes
2 Cans of the Ro-tel diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles
1 Can of the Ro-tel diced tomatoes with green chiles (No salt added)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbs fresh lime juice
3 tbs finely chopped cilantro
2 Jalapenos diced
3 Stalks of celery diced fine
About half a medium yellow or red onion diced
2 tbs of rocoto paste (optional) if you like a bit more heat

Drain the cans of maters though a fine strainer and add to a food processor with the lime juice, sugar and cumin. Pulse it until its as thin or chunky as you like.
Dump that into a large mixing bowl and combine with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Let it rest a couple hours in the fridge for the flavors to meld.
uwzDrUS.jpg

0vV5s1w.jpg

CARDI Scorpion and Naglah Brown cross plant i saved from last season. (Accidental from previous grow)
JDssqbf.jpg

Aji Oro from late last year i overwintered too. AWESOME tasty rocoto.
7BBcL1d.jpg

I hate it when a seedling looks at you and says TAKE ME HOME!! I wanted a ghost pepper plant anyway this year since i cut way back on supers this season. Ghost are still one of my favorites even if they are at the lower end of the super scale. They just taste better to me than most of them.
NEnipBw.jpg

They look GOOD GM54 :lewis: I will probably end up buying a couple Jalapeno plants since I didn’t grow any. I just got done Potting 30 Tomato seedlings, 3 Hybrid Varieties i bought from Totally Tomatoes. Sugar Rush, Sun Sugar, and Fantastico, All 3 Varieties have a SUPER HIGH Brix Rating. We love the little Tomatoes around here :lewis:

I got that big ghost at one of our farmers markets for $6. They sell smaller ones for $2 and $1.50 each in 6 packs. They looked better than the Bonnie/Burpee i got too.

Maters are
Super Sweet 100
Sweet Million
2 Big Beef
1 Genuwine Beefsteak
1 San Marzano
2 Early Girl

Last edited:
I got that big ghost at one of our farmers markets for $6. They sell smaller ones for $2 and $1.50 each in 6 packs. They looked better than the Bonnie/Burpee i got too.

It sure is a NICE, Healthy looking Plant :lewis:

I was over at Home Depot the other day, i was SHOCKED at their Tomato Plants, they had some REALLY nice ones, 3 bucks a Piece. When i see the Plant prices around these parts it makes me wonder if Starting, and Growing my own is Worth it? I can buy some REALLY nice Plants at these Nurseries around here CHEAP, But what’s the Fun in that Huh? :) I actually enjoy starting, and growing my own Plants, i can do varieties that i can’t Buy

I dont have the space for doing both peppers and maters under lights. The maters i want are normally easy to get locally cheap. Peppers on the other hand i cant always get what i want except online and ive gotten so many pitiful seedlings online its a last resort. I needed a couple Bonnies but none of the places had them yet. I want another Spicy Slice and i wanted to try Jalafuego too. The Bonnie maters/peppers at both Lowes/HomeCheapo were a joke compared to these $2 Papa Joe seedlings. Almost twice the cost for almost half the size.

The square green pot is a Papa Joe's Big Beef seedling. All the others are Bonnie. The Bonnie upper left (10 o'clock) is their Big Beef.
fWS0XoD.jpg

Do any of you have a line on a good Rocoto Sauce? Tabasco made one that was great but they discontinued it. It was addicting on tacos.

Or maybe a good recipe for one?

Nope and yes ive looked. Grow rocotos, make or buy baharat, a dash of maple syrup and a bottle of regular Tabasco. The other option instead of growing rocotos is rocoto paste. Belmont brand is good. I was totally bummed when they quit selling it. Their rocoto hot sauce was killer.

https://www.amazon.com/Belmont-Rocoto-Pepper-Paste-227g/dp/B004T6KH5Y

It was. You mentioned it once and I ordered it direct. Was real bummed when I could not get more, an email from them said they had no plans to bring it back. 😢
How much of the paste would you use with a bottle of the Tabasco?
I don't really care for regular Tabasco but mixed in would be ok. I had also got some of the Family Reserve and it was a little better than the regular.
I found out I can get the Rocoto peppers frozen here. A guy at one of my accounts told me where to get them, his family is from Peru. There is a couple markets in the area he lives that has a large Hispanic population.

Frozen rocotos would be WAY better than the paste. Taste some first. If they are too hot then simmer them in water. Dump a bottle of Tabasco, about 1/4-1/2 tsp of barahat, tbs maple syrup and probably no more than a couple TBS of rocoto into a small blender like a Nutribullet. Blend it up good, dump that into a small sauce pan. Rinse out the Nutribullet with a 3 tbs of water. Dump that into the pan too.

Simmer for about 15min and let it cool or pour into a bottle while still pretty hot then seal the lid. Let it rest for a week in the fridge. Mine turned out ok but much hotter than the Tabasco rocoto.

Latest posts

Back