Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW i tried another Tabasco sauce because i love Thai sweet chilli sauce. The stuff is very sweet and not all that hot. Tabasco has a Sweet&Spicy that taste very much like a Thai or Indonesian sweet chilli sauce. Im pretty sure that is what they were trying to make too. They did a great job of it. Our local grocery store had bottles on sale buy one get one free. Came out to $2.19 a bottle. :D

This stuff is VERY sweet and has hints of ginger/garlic. Delicious on fried chicken by itself or mixed with some chipotle sauce which makes it taste sorta like BBQ sauce when mixed.
https://www.tabasco.com/hot-sauces/sweet-spicy-sauce/

BTW i tried another Tabasco sauce because i love Thai sweet chilli sauce. The stuff is very sweet and not all that hot. Tabasco has a Sweet&Spicy that taste very much like a Thai or Indonesian sweet chilli sauce. Im pretty sure that is what they were trying to make too. They did a great job of it. Our local grocery store had bottles on sale buy one get one free. Came out to $2.19 a bottle. :D

This stuff is VERY sweet and has hints of ginger/garlic. Delicious on fried chicken by itself or mixed with some chipotle sauce which makes it taste sorta like BBQ sauce when mixed.
https://www.tabasco.com/hot-sauces/sweet-spicy-sauce/
I'm going to have to try that.

If you want to try a good Indonesian/Malay sweet chilli sauce, look for Linghams. Their extra hot has a serious kick to it.
https://www.lingham.com/home/
Mae Ploy brand is good also but its a Thai style. Both are similar and great for sweet and spicy wings. Just fry your wings plain until crispy and toss in the sauce or breaded and serve it as a dipping sauce. Not a fan of sauce soaked breaded wings.

Our DARN Weather is gonna HAVE to start getting better or my Stuff isn’t gonna do much, RAIN, Thunderstorms, MORE RAIN, It just keeps going. Usually by this time of year it’s HOT & DRY (Kinda Scary every year for 4th of July) But NOT this Year, you couldn’t start a Fire in the Hills with a Blowtorch right now. It is 52 Degrees here right now, and REALLY WET

Size matters....not matter what she says
Dg2Yvp3.jpg

gYjFw66.jpg

Scorps
B3wzK6N.jpg

Zhmc6Qs.jpg

Death Spirals
QMphOTZ.jpg

OB19yv6.jpg

2VRQMgx.jpg

Your brown Reapers...look at all the node forming on these things
npkm5Xj.jpg

lS6oQKg.jpg

Looonnnnnngggg Beans
u7MjCIx.jpg

WOW!! Those Brown Reapers are BEAUTIFUL Plants GM54, They are DEFINATELY getting what they Need :lewis: I am really Curious what you will end up with those?

Sampled my first 2 ripe Numex Orange today. They were tiny little boogers about pinky size. REALLY nice heat and no bitterness. Fairly sweet too. Green were much hotter imo. I think im going to take all the greeners off one plant and make a jalapeno verde hot sauce.

The Brown Reapers are starting to set pods now. At least 1 plant had a couple tiny pods a few days ago. Its still hard to make out the shape but my guess is they will not look like classic Reapers. They will look like your pods last year.

These Death Spiral pods are still growing and man they look cool. They will probably be some of the prettiest pods ive seen if they are like the pics ive seen. They ripen in various color stages and eventually end up red.

Sampled another commercial hot sauce yesterday. The brand is called Lola. The base is ripe jalapeno for all of them. They use habanero, ghost, scorpion or reapers for the "kicker". They are the 2nd ingredient in the list so this brand is not shooting for HOTTEST sauce. I got the jalapeno/ghost because im partial to both and i got my own scorpion pods.

This was a really nice tasting sauce and not all that hot. Tabasco Scorpion was quite a bit hotter. Loved the flavor and only 10mg of sodium per tsp. The garlic stands out pretty heavy. A bottle is about $5 at Schnucks market.
https://www.lolasfinehotsauce.com/collections/sauces
Really love it when the ingredient list is simple and natural.
Ripe Jalapeno, (then one of the hotter peppers), garlic, lime juice, vinegar and salt.

Do you think they will Stay Brown? That whole deal was an odd one for sure? I specifically bought C. Reaper Seed directly from Puckerbutt to make sure i was getting the “Real Deal” And out of that Seed Came a BROWN Reaper??? I emailed them, With pictures of the Brown Pods and the Plant. I got ZERO Response back from them :)

iArV1bU.jpg

Mw2Y7LV.jpg

t31CUZy.jpg

xTqzKxB.jpg

Its too early to tell the color. If pods are dark green they are often ripen brown. If pods are light green they wont be. My Scorps go straight from light green to orange to red. So did my Reapers and Dragons Breath last year.

From people ive seen post before...... The owner is kind of a jerk about the whole C. Reaper dealeo. 7 Pot Primo is rumored to be from the same bloodlines and as hot as the Reapers. He aint happy about that. Im pretty certain a couple other supers i grew last year were just as hot as my Reapers. I got Scorpions out the wazoo outside now. Just went and checked the plants a few minuted ago. Got probably 20+ nice size Death Spirals and at least a dozen baby "Brown Reapers". I still got 2 late start Deaths just starting to flower and they are really bushy plants.

This years Pepper, and Tomato Crop sure doesn’t look promising at my House. This was the Wettest Spring, beginning Summer i have ever Seen here, My Tomatoes were BEAUTIFUL, The nicest plants i have ever Raised, What seemed like Out of the Blue, i noticed a LOT of Yellowing? I hit them with EVERYTHING I could think of? It turned out to be a Blight, Blights (Early & Late) Are not Curable, You can Treat to slow it down, But when they get the Disease they keep it, I ended up using Bonide Copper Fungacide in a Last Ditch effort to Save them, They definitely look better :lewis:

My pepper plants are somewhat of a Joke this year as well, I tried the 3 Numex Spice Jalapeños, Lemon/Orange/Pumpkin, The Plants aren’t very large, and some have very few Pods, I only have maybe 2 Pods that are large enough to taste, they are Stil Green (I doubt i will be Growing anymore of these) The Sugar Rush Peach (From GM54 Seed) are MY BEST Looking Plants BY FAR, They are ROCKING!! They have TONS of Blooms, They are Trying HARD, But very few Pods, I hope they have enough time here in our Short Growing Season

We have Just over 1 Month of Quality Growing Weather Left, If things don’t REALLY pick up the Pace here soon, I will probably be able to put the entire Harvest in a Ball Cap :confused:

Im not impressed with the Numex plant size either. Small plants and small pods. Ive got one in a bag, a few in ground and one in a pot. All of them are small and just not very appealing compared to others ive grown. Plants growing right next to them look normal.

I got loads of these Scorpions and Death Spirals. Your Reapers got a couple nice sized pods so far. One pod looks sort of like a large Reaper. I got one Scorpion turning and quite a few Aji Oro turning now. Maybe a dozen. Last year the Scorpions produced early too.

When i was about nine years old my Mon and the neighbor ladies met to make apple butter. i got the fire started. and hung around trying to be helpful. At the appropriate time someone told me to get the oil of cinnamon and pour it in the kettle. i didn't know cinnamon oil is really hot stuff. Got some on my hands and was OK until i had to pee.

Got my first ripe Scorpion and its nice size. Several more turning as well as some Death Spirals. The big surprise is 1 Scorpion plant is throwing reddish brown pods!!! Last years Scorpion was near my Naglah Brown. Pods look really close to my other Scorpions but the color is much different. It has 2-3 turning and should be ready to pick soon. That plant was one of the last i put out and i had run out of pots. So its in this tiny little pot.

I really love this Scorpion variety for plant growth and production. The Death Spirals from Baker Creek are looking like the will grow and produce almost as well.

Other mentions.....I got one Mexican brown bell ripe but lost a branch on that plant with 6 more pods on it. Aji Oro have several pods nearly ready to pick. Joes Long Cayenne are turning but ive lost several pods to rot and drop in the heat. They sure are LONG this year though. Several storms have been rough on pod heavy plants like Aji Amarillo. Ive lost quite a few pods off them. The "Reapers" from Lewis's mutant brown plant are rather large pods for Reapers. Only a few have a similar shape. Still too early to tell what color i will get but the 3 plants look great.

Early Flame jala is nothing to rave about but pods taste very good. Personally, it not any different than the typical Early hybrid that has been around for ages. Spicy Slice is a nice jala but milder than Mucho Nacho and not quite as fat. VERY good flavor. Numex Orange pods are small. Production is good and they are VERY hot. Plant size just fails to impress me at all. They will catch you off guard. Slice off the tip and its pretty normal jala heat. Slice into the seed part and it lights you up good for a jala. Im saving as many ripe as i can for sauce. It should make some great ripe jalapeno sauce.

Im waiting for some cloud cover to get better pics and its just too hot outside. By the time im done watering i need to cool off in the ac. Looks like possible rain the next few afternoons so hope to get update pics soon.

What is your ratio of bell peppers to hot peppers that you grow? Do the chocolate/Mexican Brown bell peppers have an earthy taste? I have only eaten red, yellow, orange, purple, and green bell peppers, not the chocolate/brown ones.

My stomach can no longer tolerate but the mildest of capsaicin heat due to acid reflux.

I admire the hot peppers that you grow. They look great.

The Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Catalog is one of the best, along with Johnny's Selected Seeds.

I've heard about those Numex peppers. They have about double the heat of a standard Jalapeno, correct?

Back