Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prepped some stupid hot scorpions for the smoker. Gunna sun dry a day or two them chuckem in there. Plate on the right im just drying naturally for seed stock. Chose some of the prettiest pods as usual. Pods were sure bigger this year. I just slice them open first so they dry faster.
MoLyfju.jpg

Prepped some stupid hot scorpions for the smoker. Gunna sun dry a day or two them chuckem in there. Plate on the right im just drying naturally for seed stock. Chose some of the prettiest pods as usual. Pods were sure bigger this year. I just slice them open first so they dry faster.
MoLyfju.jpg
Do you dry the hot pepper seeds to the "won't dent with a fingernail stage" before storage?

I usually just put them on a paper towel and let them set on the dining table for weeks :p I get great germination rates with this method.

Today i didnt feel like dealing with super hot pods because i cant find the little knife i wanted to use. You have to be super careful handling pods this hot. Even the dried seeds are brutally hot.

You only have to touch a sensitive area of your body ONCE with high potency capsaicin oils to understand NEVER TO DO THAT AGAIN!!!

Been there, learned my lesson.

Well i should have paid better attention to the weather forecast. It rained its butt off so i had to put all them peppers in the dehydrator on 100F. Good chance of rain the next few days too. Now im stuck with the wicked pepper fumes for the better part of 24hrs. I guess i could have fermented them into a sauce but man that would be a brutal sauce.

A "Hot Willy" is no fun and it dont go way quick. Wash him all you want and he still burns for hours. I wear thick nitrile gloves or better yet..long Platex Living gloves when handling supers. Dont ever trust thin surgical gloves to stop it. They wont....been there. Clean every single thing you used during process first with plenty of warm soapy water. Then wash up to your elbows 2-3 times. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING with your bare hands until its all washed or thrown away.

Lighting wasn’t the Greatest this morning, kind of looks Yellow, The Sun was trying to come up behind me.

SRP From Seed i got from GM54
CmmbWUW.jpg

1 of my Numex Pumpkin Spice Plants, They all look like this, or Very similiar anyway. These things have Lots of Pods, But the Plants are Small, and Odd Shaped Pods, I won’t be Growing these again
e8uaPnF.jpg

My little Potted Garden :) I have 10 More Tomato plants to the Far left here just out of the Picture, i ended up With LOTS of Tomatoes. I have a Batch of Green Tomatoes, Cauliflower, LOTS of Hot Pepper, And Garlic, Fermenting in my Crock, They have 2 Weeks to go, I like them to Ferment for 1 FULL Month
Dh5j705.jpg

SRP flat out load up on pods. When they are yellar like that they make good pickled "banana ring" peppers. Ripe they are killer just to snack on. Once in awhile you get one with some zip but most are not much hotter than a jalapeno. Hard to discribe the flavor but its one of the best tasting baccatums. Only the Brazilian Starfish was as tasty to me. Those are very mild too, sweet and almost a cherry flavor.

My Orange Spice are not producing that good. Ive got 4 in ground, 1 in a fabric pot and 1 in a hard pot. Not one plant grew much larger than the other. They are scorching hot for jalapeno and i mean HOT. Good flavor too but not worth the garden space. Going back to Mucho Nacho and maybe Chichimeca again. Neither one has ever failed to produce huge plants with tons of big hot ripe pods.

Got some pics of your nasties. I think 2 might not be ripe enough but they could also just be a variant. Hybrids toss out all kinds of traits sometimes.
a0H7txo.jpg

Ho7f9j9.jpg

JwUEVTw.jpg

They sure look neat!! MEAN/NASTY :p Have you tried one yet?

On a Side note, My stuff is QUICKLY running out of time! It was 40 Degrees here this morning (38 at my Folks just up the Rd) Fall is FAST approaching here, you can really feel it in the Mornings now. We could Frost any morning at this Rate.

We still got well over a month of time left in our season. Good thing too because some of my plants wont have many ripe pods until then. I got tons of greeners on the Peruvian varieties and they are basically worthless to me green. I think this year im going to invest in a small vacuum sealer and the Mason jar attachment too.

The 2 "Reapers" that were more reddish are turning more brown now too btw. Really hate to get stuck with 2 phenos because i want brown, not reddish brown. Now i know to wait until they are BROWN before picking them. This new Canon captures the color better than my old one.

You take incredibly good pics that are uploaded so that they are clear, with very good color resolution.

One of my major pet peeves is someone trying to sell a black powder rifle, traditional or inline, that has poor images. Or, not enough images of the areas of a used rifle that EVERY SINGLE POTENTIAL PURCHASER is going to want to look at before they decide to purchase.

Your images are stellar, and leave NOTHING to be desired.

That Canon sx540 was a bargain. Really wanted another camera but it was slightly out of the budget. This one could have a little better low light quality and i would love a standard view finder instead of only a LCD display. What i REALLY like is i dont have to remove the SD card to get the photos off. They upload through the wireless connection on my network directly to my computers.

Aside from not having a view finder my only big complaint is i cant charge the camera battery through its USB port. The battery must be removed to charge it. Nikon HAD a camera with all the features i wanted but now that model is discontinued. The new model is $800 and at that price its not worth getting a Point and Shoot to me.

The Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DC-FZ80K would actually be the better choice if buying today. Only about $50 more than the Canon. You only give up 2 megapixels but gain all the other features such as USB charging, view finder, RAW image and 4k video.
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX540-HS-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ80

Last edited:
That Canon sx540 was a bargain. Really wanted another camera but it was slightly out of the budget. This one could have a little better low light quality and i would love a standard view finder instead of only a LCD display. What i REALLY like is i dont have to remove the SD card to get the photos off. They upload through the wireless connection on my network directly to my computers.

Aside from not having a view finder my only big complaint is i cant charge the camera battery through its USB port. The battery must be removed to charge it. Nikon HAD a camera with all the features i wanted but now that model is discontinued. The new model is $800 and at that price its not worth getting a Point and Shoot to me.

The Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DC-FZ80K would actually be the better choice if buying today. Only about $50 more than the Canon. You only give up 2 megapixels but gain all the other features such as USB charging, view finder, RAW image and 4k video.
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX540-HS-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ80

That Panasonic has me thinking :think:

To get most of those features in the Canons you are pretty much in the $500+ range and you still dont get USB charging. So the FZ80 is a lot of camera for the money. My old cam is a Panasonic. I got many many years out of it and it still works. USB charging is not a huge deal but sure can come in handy.

I can also connect the Canon to my Samsung Galaxy tablet. The 10" screen is the view finder and allows me to take shots remotely. Kinda fun to play with actually. Not a feature i really use but it was fun to tinker with it. Not sure if the Panasonic supports this or if you can get am iPad app to do the same thing. Might want to look into that feature too.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/panasonic-image-app/id590212732https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/soft/image_app/dsc/ios/ios02.html

Last edited:
Picked a few today. Think im gunna make a Scorpion mash from these. It will just be peppers, salt and bottled water ferment. Then ground into a mash for later use. It would be insanely hot if used straight in a sauce. Ive got a commercial Scorpion pepper sauce and it flat out lights you up. So the mash will just be used to "enhance" other sauces that need a little boost. :D
DsMiFSg.jpg

This one is a new pepper for me. Chilhuacle Rojo (red). Another variety from southern Mexico. I will sample one later today. They are not supposed to be really spicy. Took forever to get ripe pods too.
kddwqpz.jpg

Added a few more to that plate this morning and some others too.
JiEbTzL.jpg

00B47Vj.jpg

Another "Idahoian Reaper". I hear they growem funny up in them parts
OCmGJcR.jpg

More stupid hot NuMex Orange, brown spicy bells and FAT Early Flame jalas.
3gliRfs.jpg

1LdGqZN.jpg

tTEQmxR.jpg

Mixed pepper SALSA!!!
2 Early Flame (1 almost totally ripe)
3 Spicy Slice (greeners)
2 Flaming hot ripe Numex Orange Spice....and yes i sampled it first after the other 2.....Easily 5 times as hot.
1 Ripe Rojo
2-3 TBS finely minced red onion
1/8 Cup cider vinegar
1/8 Cup fresh lime juice
1/8 Cup water
1 TBS Champagne vinegar. Topped off the jar so brine reached the top.
1/4 TSP sea salt
1/2 TSP sugar

Makes about 12oz of ZESTY SALSA!!!
OQXSjrA.jpg

Scorpion and Death Spiral ferment with Korean solar salt. VERY expensive for salt. I bet this sauce would break 500k SHU if i wanted. :hot:
Z5hb0d6.jpg

Latest posts

Back