Can you quiet down the cocking of the hammer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Lewis said works for any hammer gun.
Yes, exactly, pullin the trigger then cocking then releasing the trigger eliminates the sometimes loud clicking cocking a hammer can make. And it works the same on all hammer guns I learned to hunt with a hammer shotgun as a kid & started applying it to ml's when the inlines first came out hunting in up close & personal conditions its a big help when the slightest noise is costly.

Yes, exactly, pullin the trigger then cocking then releasing the trigger eliminates the sometimes loud clicking cocking a hammer can make. And it works the same on all hammer guns I learned to hunt with a hammer shotgun as a kid & started applying it to ml's when the inlines first came out hunting in up close & personal conditions its a big help when the slightest noise is costly.
Just remember, if your rifle has double set triggers, it is not the same as all hammer guns. It is not the same thing as a exposed hammer, single trigger cartridge gun.

Guns with double set triggers have a device that blocks off the half cock notch so the sear will not enter it while the hammer is falling from the full cock position. It is called the "fly" and it is necessary to allow the hammer to fall directly from the full cock position to the fired position wihout getting hung up in the half cock notch. This is very different from a single trigger gun.

The only safe way to get a rifle with double set triggers to half cock is to either, raise the hammer from the fired position directly to half cock without your finger on the trigger, or to lower the hammer from full cock to a position that is less than half cock and then, without your finger on the trigger, pull the hammer back up to the half cock position.

Zonie is correct in what he say’s about “Set Trigger” Model Rifles, The “Fly” at the Half Cock notch, and how it works.
That said, I have a Single Trigger TC New Englander that was Bought Brand new, it also has a “Fly” The lock appears to be identical to my Hawken’s and Renegades. It is important that you know, and understand your Rifle

Last edited:
Just remember, if your rifle has double set triggers, it is not the same as all hammer guns. It is not the same thing as a exposed hammer, single trigger cartridge gun.

Guns with double set triggers have a device that blocks off the half cock notch so the sear will not enter it while the hammer is falling from the full cock position. It is called the "fly" and it is necessary to allow the hammer to fall directly from the full cock position to the fired position wihout getting hung up in the half cock notch. This is very different from a single trigger gun.

The only safe way to get a rifle with double set triggers to half cock is to either, raise the hammer from the fired position directly to half cock without your finger on the trigger, or to lower the hammer from full cock to a position that is less than half cock and then, without your finger on the trigger, pull the hammer back up to the half cock position.
Thanks for adding a great post. I guess I should have excluded the traditional sidelocks with dbl set triggers or added a caveat there instead of making the sort of blanket statement for ALL hammer guns instead of specifically referring only to the inline hammer fired ml's.

Thank you all for your helpful advice, I will be sure to give this a try at home with an empty gun, and pass this info to my friends who might have the same concern.Good shooting, Good Forum.

It’s a simple process that has been used since hammer guns were invented :lewis:

Latest posts

Back