Can you shoot 2 minutes of angle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-ring

Reaction score
Of course, that means a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Many people would be really unhappy if they shot groups that big at 100 yds......or 4 inch groups at 200 yds. Look at the dimensions of the 10 rings on the targets that are used in mid. and long range competition.
Target SR...................200 yards...........7 inches in diameter
Target SR-3...............300 yards...........7 inches in diameter
Target MR-65...........500 yards...........10 inches in diameter
Target MR-1..............600 yards...........12 inches in diameter
Target LR.....................8-9-1000yards.....20 inches in diameter
If anybody can shoot these distances and hold 2 minutes or less in the 10 ring, you will win every competition you enter!
Unfortunately, little things like wind deflection and mirage will mess up yourDSC_0122 (3).JPG perfect score. Here is a group I shot at 200 yards with iron sights on Sunday that is really meaningless. Perfect conditions, bench rest, and the stars were all aligned. Once every couple of years I shoot a group like this. Can I do this with any regularity? Make no mistake. Positively not. My realistic goal is to develop a load that shoots 4 inches [2 MOA] or under at 200 yds. When I accomplish that, I'm a happy camper and I'm ready to compete. I might add that this is for "iron sight" class. The only groups that really matter are the ones you shoot under match conditions. It's comforting to know that your rifle and load are capable of excellent accuracy. The bad side is that you can't blame the rifle if [when] you screw up.
Shiloh Sharps 40-70 Sharps straight, 14 1/2 twist, 65 gr. Swiss 1 1/2 powder, 440 grain Hoch bullet, home lube, .030 poly wad, Win. lg. pistol primer. X

You said meaningless but its really not. Thats just a good day! In 2008 Kenny Wasserberg shot the 5@ 200yd record at Raton, 1.336" with pp. The grease groove guys spent a week trying to beat it with no luck. Maybe pp would be a place to start?;)

You said meaningless but its really not. Thats just a good day! In 2008 Kenny Wasserberg shot the 5@ 200yd record at Raton, 1.336" with pp. The grease groove guys spent a week trying to beat it with no luck. Maybe pp would be a place to start?;)
Here is the second group I shot on Sunday at 200 yds. with a different bullet. I'm a realist. Groups like this are so few and far between that I pretty much ignore them. It's out of the norm for me. Not that I don't like when it happens, but I never let groups like this go to my head or let anybody think I can do this with any regularity because I can't. As far as PP bullets go, I've got a good one from buffalo arms and it shoots pretty good but I've always had better results shooting my favorite greasers. It actually doesn't matter which type you shoot. When it's match day and conditions are really stupid, whoever reads the conditions best, wins. X DSC_0123 (2).JPG

For me, it's always good to know the gun will shoot. That way on those days that I spray all over the target I only get frustrated at myself :confused: , which happens more than I like to admit. It's all good times though.

Latest posts

Back