Cap and ball deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revolver? Here in MN its not legal to hunt deer with a ball and cap revolver. Sidelock pistols are legal, .45 cal and up. Different states have different rules.

I have a Traditions Trapper pistol in .50 shown in the avatar at left. It is very accurate and with my new glasses shoots as it always has. Very accurate with ball and patch. I think Ill get it primed to take a deer this year also. I may make another of those skinner sights for it.

I just went to take a look at it and the people at Traditions really like to stamp information on the barrel. It says 1/28 twist. Can that be right??? Maybe the oil blurred my vision.

EDIT it says 1/20 twist. If its made to shoot conicals it does excellent with round ball and patch.

Last edited:
40 caliber minimum in Oklahoma.
A revolver might be legal in the regular gun season but not during the muzzleloader. The rules say single projectile loaded from the muzzle end.

They are legal in Missouri, .40 cal and up so it would have to be a .44 at least for a revolver most likely.

Curtis

I have a Traditions Trapper pistol in .50 shown in the avatar at left. It is very accurate and with my new glasses shoots as it always has. Very accurate with ball and patch. I think Ill get it primed to take a deer this year also. I may make another of those skinner sights for it.

I just went to take a look at it and the people at Traditions really like to stamp information on the barrel. It says 1/28 twist. Can that be right??? Maybe the oil blurred my vision.

EDIT it says 1/20 twist. If its made to shoot conicals it does excellent with round ball and patch.

I've got 2 deer tags for next season that will probably go to waste as I have never been on a deer hunt, have no idea where to hunt and probably could not drag the carcass to the trunk of my Chrysler Sebring to take home.

Would you consider a mentor trip? I could use the experience, equipment and help.

stay in touch half cocked. During what used to be muzzle season we get a group of 10-15 guys and push deer. Its a good time and we usually kill a few deer. For the regular season I have Trump tower. A very nice, warm blind and I will get you out there to hunt.
Thank you my friend I will.

I never have. I think it is a marginal choice but if you wait for good shots and are a capable marksman it will do the job.

They are not legal for deer hunting in Indiana. I do carry mine during Muzzleloader season. I am hoping to use it for the Coup de grace. But I have never had a reason to shoot it. My .54 cal T/C Thunderhawk makes them dead.

Half cocked. You have a zone 3 legal gun?? For deer that is? One you would prefer to hunt with???

Or I have it covered with a Ruger carbine 44, My .50 Hawken, Wolf, or my Knight elite.

Your choice.

I have a 350 legend which is my preferred rifle, 12 gauge no slugs at the moment only buckshot and the 30.06.

I feel the most comfortable with the 350 legend from the savage axis. It has just the right amount of recoil. I need to find/trade/buy some hunting ammo or use the heavy grain Winchester suppressed ammo.

Great, get it ready for November.
Almost forgot about the cva wolf .50 cal.

Muzzleloader or regular firearms season I'll be ready. I will focus my time at the range with the 350 legend and the black powder CVA wolf.

Testing poi shift at 50 and 100 yards. The black powder rifle has "makers" all copper bullets. Just got off the phone with the buddy of mine who is going to give me a couple of boxes of 350 legend hunting ammo. And if I get small rifle primers from him there's a possibility that I might be able to make some All copper 350 legend rounds. If not I'll just stick to the box stuff.

In either case I'm sure it'll be a blast!

I have a 350 legend which is my preferred rifle, 12 gauge no slugs at the moment only buckshot and the 30.06.

I feel the most comfortable with the 350 legend from the savage axis. It has just the right amount of recoil. I need to find/trade/buy some hunting ammo or use the heavy grain Winchester suppressed ammo.

My youngest (9 at the time) took his first deer during the 2020 Mi Youth Weekend in September with a 350LGND, 10.5" barrel (registered AR-15 SBR), 180 gr winchester factory load, with a 9mm suppressor... cannot beat the round out to 150 yds... especially for kids ->a collapsable stock AR-15 can easily be set to accomodate any shooter in most any position.

Deer went 20yds and fell over dead. He hit solid lung, just behind where rear of front leg blended into the chest. 2inch exit hole... obliterated the lung to mush.

Back