Cap lock ignition failure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it have a Cleanout Screw on the Side of the Breech Plug?

Something like this
0EUFxKV.jpg
Yes it does but no luck removing it.

Hey! Has anybody ever tired to drill and tap that clean out? I’m sure it can be done. My early T/C Hawkin had one. Just picked up a renegade and a Green Mountain barrel neither have this hole. Helps cleaning out hang fires wet powder. Always carried a small bottle of 4F just in case. To pour in the flash channel. Kroil is your friend, let it soak for a few day! Be gentle, it will come out when it’s ready!!!

Yes it does but no luck removing it.

HEAT! I have removed several that were FROZE UP Pretty good, I simply pointed the nozzle of my little handheld steam Cleaner right at the little Screw, up close (Point Blank) and Let it get REALLY HOT, Then with a GOOD FITTING Screw Driver, or Allen head (whichever it is) Get on the Screw and Try it, So far i have been able to get Every 1 out that i tried by doing this :lewis:

I will almost bet that you have a Burr inside that Breech Plug where the Cross Hole enters the Patented Breech/Powder Chamber (Just like the Link above i showed you) Fouling will RAPIDLY collect around that Burr, After just 1-2 Shots it Chokes the Flash Channel Out, and now When you dump your next Charge in, It simply Can’t get passed the Blockage. I have seen this a few times now. I had a Brand new in the Box Lyman Plains Pistol (Made by Investarms) That was REALLY BAD, I fixed it in 2 Minutes at most :). You simply remove the “Cleanout“ Screw, and By hand Power, or Very gentle Hand Drill power, Go through that Cleanout hole in the Side with an 1/8” Drill Bit, I can Almost Gaurantee you there is a Metal Burr in there from the Manufacturing Process, that they missed at the Factory. Again, i have seen this before

Not at all uncommon, this happens a LOT, I use CCi No. 11 Caps most of the Time, But this Also happens with RWS 1075 PLUS Caps.

Sometimes after a Shot the Nipple will appear Plugged from the Fired Cap Debris (Doesn’t happen all the time, But fairly often) When i See this, I simply turn my Rifle Up so the Nipple is pointing Downward, and Run my Finger nail over it, It takes very little for this Debris to Fall out, leaving the Nipple Clear. Is there a Fix for this? Not that i have found? It’s simply the “Nature of the Beast” I deal with it as described above, i have not had a Hang, or Misfire from this Since, And We’re talking Several Years of Shooting, and as much as i Shoot that’s saying quite a Bit ;)

VYjQHml.jpg
The caps today seem to be more flimsy than they were about 6 or 7 years ago....even the RWS caps.

Latest posts

Back