CAR PROBLEM

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to my local Rural King store close by to see if they had any ammo for my brothers 6.5 creed moor rifle.Car drove perfectly going there,no problems no shake,nothing.Went in the store shopping and came out to leave and started the car,backed up 2 feet and the drivers tire fell off and the fender fell on top of the tire.Needless to say I had no way to move the car.Called my brother who lives 28 miles away to come and get me.So when I got home yesterday I called a tow company to come get it and take it to my mechanics shop.He called me today and said that the c.v joint had broke and that the other side was bad also.He said it would cost $400.00-$600.00 to fix.So,now I have to put up the 2 cva muzzleloaders up for sale to cover the cost of the repair.So cva shooters look in the for sale section here in a little bit and I hope to have them posted.Heck of a way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

That sucks, I feel for you.
I bought a brand new Nissan Frontier back in 2014. I also spent about 1500 bucks on the extended warranty, which I believed was for 10 years, (should a checked). Anyway, the AC and heat weren't working, started over the winter. I brought the truck to the dealership to have it fixed.
Unfortunately for me, the warranty expired a year ago. I ended up paying over 700 dollars to fix the problem.
Plus, I'm out my initial investment.

Went to my local Rural King store close by to see if they had any ammo for my brothers 6.5 creed moor rifle.Car drove perfectly going there,no problems no shake,nothing.Went in the store shopping and came out to leave and started the car,backed up 2 feet and the drivers tire fell off and the fender fell on top of the tire.Needless to say I had no way to move the car.Called my brother who lives 28 miles away to come and get me.So when I got home yesterday I called a tow company to come get it and take it to my mechanics shop.He called me today and said that the c.v joint had broke and that the other side was bad also.He said it would cost $400.00-$600.00 to fix.So,now I have to put up the 2 cva muzzleloaders up for sale to cover the cost of the repair.So cva shooters look in the for sale section here in a little bit and I hope to have them posted.Heck of a way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Dang it, sorry to hear that. Its good that you have a good brother & he's close by. I've been in a position for a decade that I've had to sell my things to get something new or replace something. That price to fix those CV joints aren't bad at all.

Dang it, sorry to hear that. Its good that you have a good brother & he's close by. I've been in a position for a decade that I've had to sell my things to get something new or replace something. That price to fix those CV joints aren't bad at all.
Last time I replaced CV joints in my Dodge 4x4 was well over $1000 per side.
Walk

Last time I replaced CV joints in my Dodge 4x4 was well over $1000 per side.
Walk
Yep, they are a PITA to change & you need special tools for CV joints. As long as the guy charging him that price, knows what he's doing, thats a good deal IMHO. I know that unless it was family or an unrelated brother, I wouldn't do it for under 600.00 per side.

I had the same problem only I was going 55 MPH Left front tire came off and went across the medium strip just missing an oncoming car I had that tire replaced due to a blow out Come to find out the young man who did the work for goodyear on that wheel did not tighten the lugs and it was just a matter of time till they sheared off. Really scary Good luck with the repair

Mine gave no indication anything was wrong.IF I had been going 55 mph and the tire dropped off and as the fender came down on it,it could have caused catastrophic damage.Lucky I was in the parking lot and backed up only 2 feet when mine happened.My brothers boat had his boat trailer lug nuts shear off and the tire rolled 1/2 mile ahead of the truck.

Mine gave no indication anything was wrong.IF I had been going 55 mph and the tire dropped off and as the fender came down on it,it could have caused catastrophic damage.Lucky I was in the parking lot and backed up only 2 feet when mine happened.My brothers boat had his boat trailer lug nuts shear off and the tire rolled 1/2 mile ahead of the truck.
I'm so glad that you weren't on a highway when that happened. A parking lot was a fortuitous place for that to break.

Yes I have given it plenty of thought as to when that happened.If I had went another 1 1/2 mile further to wal-mart,it is hard telling what could have happened.Trust me,I am eternal grateful it happened when it did.Paying for the repairs is small compared to the ultimatum.

Do most folk on here only fix it when it breaks? Servicing a vehicle should show up incipient failures waiting to happen. Example :- high end German cars cost more in Germany than in the US but reimporting them to Germany won't work as Germans hear that Americans on average apart from oil changes do not do the regular servicing.

I stay on top of my vehicle maintenace like white on rice.Regular oil changes,tune ups and any irregular noise I have checked out.But as I stated this incident gave no indications of this happening.The car drove straight down the road,no shake,no shimmy,and no noise.It just broke with in the 2 feet of my backing up.Sh$$ happens!

This car is a Chrysler,Sebring and 2004 with 142,000 miles and gets 32-37 miles to the gallon of gas.And I know the mechanic so I feel he will do me right.Hope so at least.And oh,it is a convertible.
Sorry to hear of your problem. Just was thinking that I'd kill for that kind of gas mileage in my truck.

That sucks, I feel for you.
I bought a brand new Nissan Frontier back in 2014. I also spent about 1500 bucks on the extended warranty, which I believed was for 10 years, (should a checked). Anyway, the AC and heat weren't working, started over the winter. I brought the truck to the dealership to have it fixed.
Unfortunately for me, the warranty expired a year ago. I ended up paying over 700 dollars to fix the problem.
Plus, I'm out my initial investment.
Your not making me feel good! That`s what im driving 2014 Frontier. Still purring though. I`ve thought about replacing it but tough market right now. Good day

I called on new vehicle dealers for 30+ years and IMHO a customer would be better off investing the amount they would have paid for an extended warranty in stocks/bonds. Historically that amount would yield an amount sufficient to cover the vast majority of problems likely to occur in 10 years of ownership. An exception to that theory might be these electric vehicles coming online. Those batteries are currently very expensive to replace. I don’t know how long it will take to determine how that situation will trend.

Nissan quality has really gone down hill for quite some time.
Youtube "Scotty Kilmer", never found anything he has to say to be wrong, so far.

Really sorry to hear that happened and they came the cause of you selling guns but I do understand. I was a mechanic for 30 years and although your situation is very unusual, especially the part about no noise prior to this. But I learned a long time ago sometimes strange things happen with no warning. Usually your mechanic would notice a split axle boot or noise in the joint as they move the car and are turning the front wheels but as I said strange things happen.

just glad nothing happened while you were actually on the road and there were no injuries. That’s the most important

Greg

Back