Carrierless 209 Breech Plug for Sidekick, Shoots Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
This post will be a work in progress, I will add new information as I go along so check back for updates. I am really excited about this plug, and figured there would be several others that would want them too. This is a must, if you want to shoot Blackhorn 209 reliably out ot the Huntsman/Sidekick.

Finally, a one piece carrierless 209 breech plug for the H&R/NEF Huntsman/Sidekick. This breech plug headspaces off the rim of the 209 primer similar to the Hubbard plug. It is easily installed/removed with a ?? socket or nut driver for the hex head. Only 5/8? plugs are available presently, but there is a possibility that they may look into the 7/8? plugs if these do well, and I would think demand would drive their decision.

I have had one of these pre-production plugs for about a week now. My testing has been limited to function only at this point, as I have only shot it into spots on my snow covered berm from my garage. My Leupold Ultimate Slam scope has only been eye-ball bore sighted, but is very close.

My function testing was conducted with Federal 209A primers, 80 grains Blackhorn 209, and a T/C Cheap Shot. I had instant ignition every time. They have done testing with standard Winchester and Remington Kleanbore primers, 85 grains 777, and a 300 grain Hornady saboted bullet.

Although my testing has been limited at this time, I will be doing some accuracy testing as soon as time and weather permits. It was minus 8 F here last night, and the wind chill has been unbearable for shooting lately.

I have made a couple suggestions, and both were incorporated into the production plug. One was clean up some tooling marks that were machined into the top of the plug while cutting the hex head, the other was a simple o-ring option in the bottom of the pocket. This shows me they are willing to work with us, and aim to please. These breech plugs were machined on a CNC Lathe, and they have made a limited run at this time, so if you want one of these, you might not want to drag your feet to long. They have advised me that the price will be $28.50 shipped in the U.S., I think that is very reasonable considering they had to program the CNC. My Hubbard plug cost $35, and this one is far better and easier to clean being one piece IMO.

With my particular rifle, I fired a Federal 209A, one of if not the hottest 209's out there, it left some soot on the standing breech. First I was trying to figure out a shim, but I think I found the perfect alternative. I did this same exact thing with my Hubbard plug. I inserted an o-ring into the bottom of the primer pocket, this filled the gap in front of the primer, gave me about .015" crushable length between the primer rim and the plug, and allowed me to headspace off the front of the primer. This acts as a gasket and keeps the primer fouling where it should be, and blowback was almost non-existant.

These are all Federal 209A primers, need the hottest for Blackhorn 209. These were fired with no powder to check for seal. Left, Unfired; Middle, Fired with my o-ring mod (approximate measurements, O.D. .285", I.D. .145", Thickness .070"); right, headspacing off the rim (have a slight couple thousandths gap when locked up tight). The o-ring is a compression fit, but works better that way and stays put until you want to remove it for cleaning.
020-7.jpg

021-3.jpg

I also did a little unscientific test to check the primer pressure (no powder) going through the barrel with and without the o-ring. The muzzle was approximately 12" from the snow when fired. The one on the left is with the o-ring, the one on the right without.
041.jpg

This is a comparison of the standard NEF plug with primer carrier and the carrierles 209 plug.
017-6.jpg

This is the first 3 Federal 209A primers after my function test using the o-ring modification with 80 grains BH209 and the T/C Cheap Shot. Notice how clean they are, just a hint of smoke/soot on the standing breech. Two of the primer needed a little coaxing to remove, the other came out with fingers. I have since polished the inside of the primer pocket to make it a little smoother, this should help in that matter.
013.jpg

O-Ring installed.
011.jpg

This is a pic of plug and Federal 209A primer, no o-ring.
018.jpg

This is a pic of plug and Federal 209A primer with o-ring installed. Notice the slight gap, giving a crushable few thousandths, to help adjust for any variances in tolerances.
019.jpg

Please note, that this plug can be used with or without the o-ring.

The Carrierless 209 Breech Plug for NEF Sidekick Contact information: Call 1-800-638-7986, ask for Nick, or e-mail [email protected] . Monday-Friday, open until 5:00 PM, EST. Not sure when they open, but I?m sure 9:00 AM, EST would be a safe bet.

man o man

Busta you back in school early. Good picks of that snow and primer, what a difference. I look forward to more.

Excellent report Busta. I'm going to try that o-ring application in my Mustang. It gets quite a bit of blow back through the primer pocket with 209s. I switched to .25 ACP ignition and eliminated it, but can't get the .25s to work consistently with Blackhorn, even with small rifle magnum primers.

That snow test really tells the story.

Busta thanks for getting the ball rolling. I hope they do well so that the wait for a 7/8" breech plug for my Huntsman is not too long.

Good work, Busta! Maybe Remington would buy your idea and incorporate it into the next generation Huntsman (if there is to be one).

Is that just a rubber o-ring? Life expectancy?

Underclocked said:

My guess is that it would be pretty good if made from neoprene. Opening after a shot would reveal when it quit.
You'd want to have extras anyway, No?

Again, thanks Busta! :wink:

thank you.now my sidekick w"ont have to sit in the closet!

Great post Busta! VERY informative! I hope some of the muzzleloader companies out there are paying attention..

The rubber o-ring is a good idea . i was using peaces of rubber tubbing over the outside of the primers on mine creating a seal . I had to shut my Encore a little harder , but it sure stopped the blow by . :D

Underclocked said:
Good work, Busta! Maybe Remington would buy your idea and incorporate it into the next generation Huntsman (if there is to be one).

Yeah right, I was saving it for when I started making plugs, but now I don't have to. :lol: Somebody probably already stole it anyways.

Underclocked said:

I think they are a little tougher than rubber.

Not sure on the life expectancy, haven't wore one out yet. :wink: I have had one in my Hubbard plug for a few shots, Blackhorn 209 will swell the primers some being a progressive powder with a tight seal.

Thanks for posting this, Busta.

I'm going to bring the breech plug for my Remington Genisis to ACE Hardware when I get a chance and buy a couple of o-rings to try this.

The only thing I don't like about the Genisis is that the torchcam can get REAL sticky to open (from primer fouling) after as few as 4-5 shots. Your o-ring mod may just cure this.

Thanks again, Carl

Busta,
Who is testing this plug other then you? You have mentioned that it has been to cold for you to do some testing. I'm looking for some results at 15 degrees and colder. My Disc Elites are great at 25 degrees and above. Below that it's a different ball game.

My local sporting goods store has a SideKick i want pretty cheap. I just want to make sure all aspects are covered with this plug to the best of your knowledge. Thanks

Grouse said:
Busta,
Who is testing this plug other then you? You have mentioned that it has been to cold for you to do some testing. I'm looking for some results at 15 degrees and colder. My Disc Elites are great at 25 degrees and above. Below that it's a different ball game.

My local sporting goods store has a SideKick i want pretty cheap. I just want to make sure all aspects are covered with this plug to the best of your knowledge. Thanks

The only other person that I know of is the guy that designed the plug, Nick. He has been shooting 777 with Winchester W209's and Remington Kleenbores. I think I am the only one that has shot BH209 from one, but I have no doubt that it will work in any temperature. The length from the end of the primer to the powder is less than .300", and the flash hole is .040" diameter and approximately .200" long. If you look at my primer pic where I shot BH209 with the o-ring, all the fire went directly into the powder charge. I would think the only thing better would be to put the primer into the powder, but then you would be using a breech loader. :wink:

I have shot it in very cold weather, but I have not subjected it to cold weather for long periods of time. Maybe this weekend when I have time. Like I said the post will be a work in progress. I would go as far as to say, this plug with the o-ring installed is going to be hard to beat for setting off BH209. Every other 209 plug I have, the flame has to travel through a lengthy flame channel which collects carbon and impledes/cools the flash. This is just my opinion, as I said my testing has been limited at this point, but I will update as I go. I only wish I had loaded my rifle and let it set out the other night when it got down to -8 F here. I have no doubt what the outcome would have been, but of course I don't know for sure.

I will try some overnight extreme cold weather testing this weekend, time and weather permitting. I should have used that -8 F night, but I didn't have a doubt in my mind, so I guess it never crossed my mind. But your right, it needs this stamp of approval.

Thanks Busta,
My garage is detached from my house uninsulated. I like to leave three weighed out loads of BH209 in Lanes tubes over night along with ML, primers, bullets, and sabots. That really simulates an all day hunt in a tree stand a little glorified. Hunting my extra loads would be in pocket that would be warmer. The gun is actually colder hunting. The new vision plug is in my Vision loaded in the garage now with two extra loads to try tonight. I forgot this morning. :oops: I also think very confident of this plug like you.

Re: grouse

wayles said:
Grouse you have the muzzle taped off??
Wayles

No i dont. That's just added protection when needed. All rounds fired with ease but got to warm today for a real good test.

I'm gettin a couple of em, thats for damn sure.

I just emailed em.

thanks Busta

It's up to 50 degrees here today, snow is melting very rapidly, and the wind is just a howling. Just a couple nights ago it was -8, hope I didn't miss my opportunity for some cold weather overnight testing. Never crossed my mind the other night, but I have full confidence in the design. If I am not getting any blowback under load with the o-ring, I know all of the fire is going into the powder charge a mere .300" away. I am not a Rocket Scientist, but I do know that a .040" flash hole lets a lot more fire flow through vs a .030" flash hole. Of course that could be the case in both directions if the seal isn't strong enough..

IF my calculations are right, the volume of flame traveling through a .040" x .200" flash hole cylinder would increase by approximately 77-78% over a .030" x .200" flash hole cylinder. I also got a 56.25% decrease figuring it the other way, been a while (30+ years) since I used that part of my brain and I think there might be a few less cells in there now. Anybody hear an echo? :lol:

Using this formula to find the Volume for each, then figuring the difference. Please correct me if I am wrong, because in my world pi r round not squared. :D There must be a mathamatical genius on this board somewhere?

V = pi * radius2 * length

CarlV said:
Thanks for posting this, Busta.

I'm going to bring the breech plug for my Remington Genisis to ACE Hardware when I get a chance and buy a couple of o-rings to try this.

The only thing I don't like about the Genisis is that the torchcam can get REAL sticky to open (from primer fouling) after as few as 4-5 shots. Your o-ring mod may just cure this.

Thanks again, Carl

CarlV,

Your breech plug probably headspaces off the front, so you wouldn't have room for the o-ring unless you drilled the primer pocket deeper. This primer headspaces off the rim on this plug. The primer pocket is approximately .055" deeper than the front of the primer. This space allows room for a .070" thick o-ring with approximately .015" of compression between the primer and standing breech. Your swing block would probably not work the same as a tip-up (break-open) rifle. that long barrel gives a lot more leverage to easily compress the o-ring without hardly noticing the difference. A static shim would be very noticable, and would not allow closure like a compressable o-ring.

This type plug doesn't need the o-ring to function, I just prefer it to headspacing off the rim.

I have to work the o-ring a little to get it lined up right because I am using an over sized one (.285") to fit tightly in the .247" hole. Once it is done a couple times it is not hard. Nick said his were 1/4" O.D., so they should drop right in easily, I just hope they stay put.

Back