Carry ammunition.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard enough to find ammo in the first place, and now they think I should buy more? 🤬

Yeah this stuff is pretty important I learned it somewhere a while ago and check my pistol when I used to unchamber and chamber my defense ammo. I just stopped doing that. The only reason I was is I did not have a concealed and in order to open carry and be able to travel in a vehicle I need to unload my firearm while driving. You don't need to do that with the CPL.

I first noticed this in my 9mm pistol. I was using the Hornady self defense ml I forget what it's called but it's got the little red plastic dot in the middle of the hollow point. Anywho it's also got a cannelure well I noticed that going deeper and deeper into the brass.

Interestingly enough I haven't noticed this in any of my AR platforms including 556 300 blackout 762x39 450 Bushmaster or 350 Legend. This phenomenon of chambering and bullets getting seated back for me seems to only occur in pistols.

Pistol ammo generally has a taper crimp rather than a roll crimp. The taper crimp does not hold as securely allowing bullet set back. I say generally because pistols using what is considered revolver ammo are using rolled crimp ammo.

Every time you jack cartridges in/out of a semi-auto you scratch/dent/loosen bullets. Factory ammo is also coated with substances to eliminate corrosion is one form or another. Betting your life on rounds other than fresh, out of factory box ammo is really not a great plan. Shoot old stuff, carry new.

Sweat & body salts can cause problems, as will scratches & dents from improper loading of magazines. Add hard-to-see grit that gets into firearms carried, moisture, etc. ..well, do what you wish. Proper maintenance is important, as is fresh clean ammo. A jam on the range is not the same as a misfire in a gunfight. My .02 cents.

Very good info. I had noticed this happening years ago with my 45ACP 1911. I now carry a Sprinfield XD in 9mm and have not noticed the bullets sinking in deeper, but have often wondered about that. I like the idea of rotating the rounds so that you are not constantly chambering the same one round.

Yesterday I did shoot all of my carry ammo by accident. I went to the range and loaded the wrong magazine by accident. I was a little irritated since that stuff is expensive, but maybe it was a good thing.

I have two carries. One hold 7+1 and the other 17+1. I never have the clips full to the max. I always leave 2 out so the sring is not so tightly compressed. Each spring and fall I rotate magazines and ammo.
Since now a retired LEO I use this format Spring and fall. When I was on the street every quarter we would fire and load with fresh ammo. That weapon was being carried in the elements daily

Good advice on not loading the mags fully. I had not thought of that. I do try to rotate mags as well. Most of the time I end up not having a fully loaded mag just because it's difficult to get the last couple of rounds into my Springfield XD mags. I never had that issue with a 1911 but then again those were single stack and much lower capacity

Latest posts

Back