Cast 452 for muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do, 300 grain Lee mould, mmp sabot. I get my best accuracy by sizing them to .451. They drop .453 with my alloy. If I do my part a less then 1" group at 100 is the norm. At some distance you can hear the thump that big flat nose makes when it thumps a deer. If you want to try a few, shoot me a pm, I'll send you some.

Attachments

• 20220126_195332.jpg
    20220126_195332.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 15
I do, 300 grain Lee mould, mmp sabot. I get my best accuracy by sizing them to .451. They drop .453 with my alloy. If I do my part a less then 1" group at 100 is the norm. At some distance you can hear the thump that big flat nose makes when it thumps a deer. If you want to try a few, shoot me a pm, I'll send you some.
I actually have the same mold and 280gr and a 230gr LBT molds from Verral Smith I shoot a ton of 45 long colts. I tried them all but go real accuracy maybe I'll try with the mmp sabot.

I was having problems also with accuracy, I tried them as cast .453 /.452 , then as a what the hay moment, I sized them to .451 and bam that's what it took.

I was having problems also with accuracy, I tried them as cast .453 /.452 , then as a what the hay moment, I sized them to .451 and bam that's what it took.
I don't think I sized mine ill have to revisit it. Also I couldn't get any of the .451 or .452 commercial bullets to group well. Tried the .458 hornady 300 gr xtp in an orange sabot and it's a consistent 1in group 100 yard gun. I've never had a muzzleloader as picky as this cva optima

That's the fun part , figuring it out. If you can afford it now days.
Once I got the sizing figured , with the mmp sabot, they shoot good in all our guns, including my cva optima pistol.

Not sure about pure lead. I was just wanting some opinions on this. So far no one's chimed in about pure lead. I'm going to have to do more tests myself.

I’ve made a few molds years ago for some good friends wanting to cast and use in a sabot.
Basically, a Paper Patch bullet to me.
I use pure lead in ML for hunting. Pure is very mailable.
Wheel Weights are hard (rock), in a solid they will not expand much and if a HP they will fragment.
These were 350gr & 390gr, I believe.
46717B72-B7E6-4CD1-95A9-6A1443F318F4.jpegEEE7F09B-CFEA-4698-940D-8501C49AFE13.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve made a few molds years ago for some good friends wanting to cast and use in a sabot.
Basically, a Paper Patch bullet to me.
I only use pure lead in ML. Pure is very mailable.
Wheel Weights are hard (rock), in a solid they will not expand much and if a HP they will fragment.
These were 350gr & 390gr, I believe.
View attachment 19446View attachment 19447

The ML casting I’ve done to date is conicals and round balls. I’ve only ever used pure lead. I’m just getting around to trying sabots in my encore and I plan on using pure first.

Back