Cast bullet for sabot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I cast RB’s in .32, .36 and .45 for my sidelock rifles, but I’ve always bought bullets for my .50 inlines.
I was thinking about buying a Lyman .44 Elmer Keith mold to use with a sabot. It’s a 245 grain bullet.
Maybe the Accurate 455S mold would be better? It’s a 255 grain bullet for a sabot.
This would be for hunting as well as low cost range shooting. I get scrap lead flashing for free because my wife’s family owns a masonry contracting business, which makes casting my own attractive.
Thoughts? Pure lead or hardened? Is there a better mold to use? Would something with a hollow point be better?
We have been using 80 grains of BH209 with a 250 grain bullet. I would think a lead bullet would work fine at that velocity?

I shoot 90 v grains of pyrodex select in my Knight Bighorn pushing a 400 gr Harvester Hardcast and am very happy with the load. I am current looking for a similar mould to cast my own. Mike.

MSalyards said:
I shoot 90 v grains of pyrodex select in my Knight Bighorn pushing a 400 gr Harvester Hardcast and am very happy with the load. I am current looking for a similar mould to cast my own. Mike.
In a sabot? I don’t want to shoot anything that heavy, I’m looking for something 250ish.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
In a sabot? I don’t want to shoot anything that heavy, I’m looking for something 250ish.

I am going to piggyback on this thread if you dont mind. I am considering getting a 45 caliber 330gn gould mould for use in a 50cal. Is this too heavy for what you are thinking?

The bullet is vey popular in cartridge rifles ad has a great reputation as a game-getter, but I am wondering if anyone has used it in sabots. MMP?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

No, its not too heavy but i would have it cut smooth sided if its just going to be for sabots. Removing the lube grooves though would add a fair amount of weight but still well within what a sabot can handle.

I’m looking for a 250 grain bullet because my 3 daughters all hunt, they don’t have a problem with the recoil and I’d like to keep it that way. It’s just easier for me if all of us use the same load. I’m just looking for an inexpensive replacement for what we are shooting now. If I can find something I can cast, the cost will be minimal. Sabots are easy for them to load, so I want to stay with them.

LBT (Lead Bullets Technology) can copy about any bullet. I used parts I liked for about 3 bullets to get my design. But it is a .500 diameter for Sabots in a .54 caliber.

Just one option.

Click on "premium molds" under the products listing on the left and scroll down to the bottom where he mentioned Muzzleloader.
http://www.lbtmolds.com/

GM54-120 said:
No, they dont make a HP mold but there is a company that will turn your single cavity mold into a HP mold for $60
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

I have thought about using this same guy to enlarge 2 bands on a Taper design Mold (Lyman Plains) I have read all good things about his work :yeah:

I've been experimenting with a 300 grain 451 dia mould from Lee. The bullet has a big metplat and shoots amazing in a MMP black sabot. I killed a doe with one at over 100 yards, big hole in, bigger hole out. Dropped at the hit. ( One deer doesn't prove much, but very promising )
I've cast them to a bhn of 16.

I've been playing around with my homemade bullet swage, producing .45 caliber bullets in weights ranging from 240 to 570 grains and shooting them in .50 rifles in a
TC #170088252 Sabot. I have no idea how accurate they will be, since I am shooting them over a chronograph at short range, but I have not had any problems whether I am using pure lead or wheel weights. It does not seem to matter what the material is.

I explained elsewhere on this site that I bought lead .429 255g HP and .429 305g HP from G.T. Bullets. They shoot excellent in my Wolf. My buddy tried them in his Traditions and they work excellent as well. (1 1/2 inch groups at 120 yards) They are inexpensive and the hollow points are craters. The 305s chrony at 1779 at 15 ft from muzzle with 100g 777. All this talk about casting your own. Im jealous. Id love to do that but a guy can only has time for so many hobbies.

I cast RB’s in .32, .36 and .45 for my sidelock rifles, but I’ve always bought bullets for my .50 inlines.
I was thinking about buying a Lyman .44 Elmer Keith mold to use with a sabot. It’s a 245 grain bullet.
Maybe the Accurate 455S mold would be better? It’s a 255 grain bullet for a sabot.
This would be for hunting as well as low cost range shooting. I get scrap lead flashing for free because my wife’s family owns a masonry contracting business, which makes casting my own attractive.
Thoughts? Pure lead or hardened? Is there a better mold to use? Would something with a hollow point be better?
We have been using 80 grains of BH209 with a 250 grain bullet. I would think a lead bullet would work fine at that velocity?

I have the 45-255S and 45-295H, I like them both. The 45-295H dropped a nice muley for me. I would also suggest considering a .40 cal bullet. Tom has made the 40-265S and 40-290S for me. The 265S is very accurate, the 290S is new and I've cast a few but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. I just noticed the 40-225M and although I don't have one it looks interesting.

Back