Cast Maxi Ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th Corps

Reaction score
Rooting around in my closet and found this.
036.jpg
This mold belonged to my Dad. He has been gone many years and I just forgot about it. Single cavity 220 grain Maxi -probably made by Lyman although the box is marked T/C. I decided to cast some slugs and try them out in my Dad's T/C Hawken percussion rifle.
038.jpg
Took the rifle and both round balls-.440 and the Maxi to the range.
I loaded the rifle with 60 grains of 777. From the bench, sitting the rifle delivered a wallop to my shoulder.
Standing off hand was pleasant with the same load.
Also shot some .440 patched round balls. They were pleasant to shoot with the same load from the bench and standing.
The maxi put some smack down on the water filled gallon plastic jugs I shot. Although I couldn't see them getting hit due to the smoke, they ended up torn apart and several feet from where they were placed on the embankment.
Shooting water jugs is fun. I'm not a hunter, but I imagine this maxi ball would do a number on deer.

Just a word on accuracy with the maxiball, only lube the bottom groove the top some times spin off the heavy lube and sends a flyer. Learned that from a long range shooter he sometimes shoots out to 5&600 yds with side locks. Keep the mold hot to avoid wrinkles.
coupe

I have the same mold and just before I came down to Florida for vacation I cast a few and I'm going to try them in my GM LRH barrel. I have them lubed with a hybrid NASA lube recommended by IdahoLewis and EdMelhig. I have a feeling they're going to shoot real good.

FYI for all the bullet casters out there: Track of the Wolf sells a 6-cavity Lee Maxi mold. Looks like it’s only available in .32 and .50, though(?). Sorry, .45 shooters!

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1201/1?PageSize=100
I just bought the .50, for a reason not entirely known. “Build it and they will buy…” 😆

I’m going to need a bigger furnace (or maybe just get into ladle casting)! 🤠

FYI for all the bullet casters out there: Track of the Wolf sells a 6-cavity Lee Maxi mold. Looks like it’s only available in .32 and .50, though(?). Sorry, .45 shooters!

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1201/1?PageSize=100
I just bought the .50, for a reason not entirely known. “Build it and they will buy…” 😆

I’m going to need a bigger furnace (or maybe just get into ladle casting)! 🤠
No big deal for me. I cast to pass time and as a hobby. Once my bullets are cast I examine and weigh each one and cull any with defects or over or below my tolerance. But with a good mold and a good casting routine, once you get rolling you get very little culled bullets.

No big deal for me. I cast to pass time and as a hobby. Once my bullets are cast I examine and weigh each one and cull any with defects or over or below my tolerance. But with a good mold and a good casting routine, once you get rolling you get very little culled bullets.
Excuse me sir, would you be willing to cast some 54 caliber Lee REAL bullets to sell to me? My Son has a Flintlock with a 1:66 twist that he wants to find a load for in the 320-390 grain range with the right hardness to deform but still penetrate both shoulders of a bull elk at a max range of 75yards. We are willing to buy the bullet mold that you can keep. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 6967E676-1D56-4834-83CC-8B9DE96CB1ED.jpeg
    6967E676-1D56-4834-83CC-8B9DE96CB1ED.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3F865849-F5A2-4F99-907D-36E45A88B6D8.jpeg
    3F865849-F5A2-4F99-907D-36E45A88B6D8.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 0
Excuse me sir, would you be willing to cast some 54 caliber Lee REAL bullets to sell to me? My Son has a Flintlock with a 1:66 twist that he wants to find a load for in the 320-390 grain range with the right hardness to deform but still penetrate both shoulders of a bull elk at a max range of 75yards. We are willing to buy the bullet mold that you can keep. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Pm sent. But in all honesty I don't think the REAL bullets will shoot better than a round ball out of that 1:66. I'd be glad to cast them but you'd just be wasting your money.

Last edited:
Those of you that read this post i told Michael his 1:66 will shoot prbs better than a conical. He still wants to go ahead and buy a bullet mold for his son's. 54. I suggested he buy the shortest bullet he can find.
Do any of you have any suggestions for him?

The Lee real's 54 300 grain I have seen them shoot pretty well in 1:66 twist with right powder load. I have that mold and like it so far

Really appreciate the info. We are hoping we can use a heavier bullet but will take that into consideration. He’s willing to shorten the range as well. Basically if you can hit a 10inch diameter plate with the right load you can put down an elk.

Thanks, we are getting 25 of the 320’s and 380’s and see which is best. Like I said, we will sacrifice range down to 30 to get the heavier weight depending how they perform. The 320gr REAL with a heavier charge might do it. Have to sacrifice some gallon jugs to figure out which is best.

I was struggling to find a load for my 50cal. 1:20 twist White MTN. carbine the maxi ball or hunter did the trick 80grns. of 2F with a wad grouped 2" at 50 yards any load with round balls was all over the target.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back