Casted up a Few more .45s for a Friend

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Lew’s 412L mould as a HP would make and be a better bullet! 😁
Personally I don"t see any need for a hollow point as 45cal an up, at BP speeds is a awesome hole puncher without a lot of meat damage with that wide flat nose . Hard bullets maybe need HPing for expanding with penetration at long range but is that needed with muzzle loaders and soft cast conicals ? Maybe someone could explain the advantages in hunting situations for me /Ed

Personally I don"t see any need for a hollow point as 45cal an up, at BP speeds is a awesome hole puncher without a lot of meat damage with that wide flat nose . Hard bullets maybe need HPing for expanding with penetration at long range but is that needed with muzzle loaders and soft cast conicals ? Maybe someone could explain the advantages in hunting situations for me /Ed

I feel the same way Ed, I have always been on the Fence about Hollow Points. But as a Hunting Bullet, at Typical Blackpowder Velocities, and it’s equivalent Substitutes, I don’t see a Soft Lead Hollow-point Bullet Hurting anything? At Distance, where the Bullet has started to Slow Down, The Hollow Point “Might” have a slight Advantage in Expansion? It’s Questionable? At Normal Hunting Distances of Say 100-150 Yards, I don’t think a Hollow Point has any advantage over a SOFT Lead, Wide Meplat Bullet?

The Golden Age of Cast Hollow Points was arguably in the 1890s - Glen E. Fryxell

Last edited:

Here is Ron L’s Test with Ed’s Lyman Gould Hollow Point, The Gould has an AWESOME Reputation as a Big Game killing Bullet. But is the Hollow Point really needed? I don’t believe so. But they look neat, if that Counts? :)

Hollow Point
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/ed-350-grain-homecast-hollowpoint.27287/
Same Lyman Gould Bullet, Except Cast Solid. I see no difference? If anything, this Solid Version looks better :)
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/ed-359g-45-caliber-fp-80g-blackhorn.28537/

Last edited:
Here’s a few 45 Cal Hollow Points :p

v8GTeaB.jpg

avs0Wlj.jpg

IbyJIiI.jpg

Cgcej8p.jpg
s1PztFJ.jpg

jUVfFNb.jpg

aIgTR2C.jpg

bIOmAHt.jpg

5RsuErA.jpg

Z0TEtyX.jpg

qN0e4v9.jpg

xmSliCM.jpg
Lewis, I just fell in love I’m afraid. That .457-365 design is coming next. I’m gonna increase it by one grease groove and hope for a .453 drop and a 410-420 grain bullet. Of course, I’m gonna have to just scale it off of the picture, but I should get close enough to the same shape to not make a difference.
That long ogive should give a little better BC and the hollow point should get good expansion at 200 or so yards.

IMO where the HP or not comes in is how soon it expands. The Gould from the tests for example look similar but shoot both into gel using a high speed cam. I would wager the permanent and temporary wound channels differ. I would wager depending on MV you will see the HP expand sooner. I would wager either have just as good of a chance at a pass through on deer. Deer are not that thick and the sooner you displace tissue the quicker they will die. I still prefer 2 holes vs 1. More holes are more places they can bleed out in case tracking is needed. Plus your chances of more organ/tissue damage and trauma increase.

It should be noted that Ron's Gould test were with 80gr by volume of BH209. Thats a smoking fast load for the pure lead Gould. It should easily be over 1400fps and probably 1500fps+. I dont have my old notes but IIRC i got over 1400fps using 80grV and a 460gr from a 27" barrel.

The 50gr test tells the rest of the story

Gould HP at 1155fps and a full inch expanded.

Non HP with the same load
IMG_2635.JPG

Last edited:
The 50gr test tells the rest of the story

Gould HP at 1155fps and a full inch expanded.

Non HP with the same load
IMG_2635.JPG

Whoever Cast these? They didn’t use Soft Lead, This Solid Gould Bullet is Harder than Soft Lead, I would Bet on That.

Last edited:
Lew's right those bullets are not mine. This is the link to Ron's test on my Solid Gould bullet using pure lead. But the load was 80 grs.

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/405587-ed-359g-45-caliber-fp-80g-blackhorn.html

Ed, I put both of Your Gould Tests (Solid, and Hollow Point) in post #25 :lewis:

It would be nice to know the Exact story on those Other Gould Bullet Tests (the Light 50 Grain Test, that GM54 Linked) Who sent them to Ron? What was they Made of? By the looks of that Solid Bullet, I say it’s NOT Pure Lead

Lew just noticed that in post 25. Have no idea as to who made those bullets.

It would be nice to see that get Straightened out, As they are listed as YOUR Bullets in Ron’s Testing, and Creates Confusion. The only real way to Straighten it out would be for Ron to Test your Hollow, and Solid Gould again with the Reduced 50 Grain Charge. There is no Disputing that Both Of your Gould Bullets (Blue Lubed) that went through the 80 Grain Test are YOUR Gould Bullets. The Mixup is the Light 50 Grain Charge Test

On a Side note, I am opting out of Hollow Pointing my 45-412L Mold. Erik of “Hollow Point Mold Service” finally got back to me by Email.

It’s way more than i am Willing to Spend on the Conversion. He charges 100 Bucks to do his “Inset Bar” Conversion to a Single Cavity Mold, and 50 Bucks More for an Additional inset Bar so i Would be able to Cast it Solid as originally Designed (The Pins in the “inset Bars” are NOT Removable/Replaceable, You have to Purchase an entire inset Bar) Then add Another 20 in Shipping to and From, that puts me at 170.00 Dollars, Which is 50 More than i paid for the Brand New Accurate Mold itself. And to top it off, He said It’s a several month Wait This time of year. I WON’T be waiting on his Service

At 170.00, I just don’t see it Being Worth it. I am Happy with the BIG Ole NASTY, WIDE MEPLAT, The way i had it Designed :lewis:

It would be nice to see that get Straightened out, As they are listed as YOUR Bullets in Ron’s Testing, and Creates Confusion. ......

There is no confusion. The bullets were provided by Ed. They are Ed' bullets.

Here is what he wrote in the thread about the hollow point bullet.........

I know my grandsons love this bullet. Even with a load of 50gr of 777-3F the deer they shot were DRT. But with that load we limit their shots to 50 yards.

Here is what Ed wrote the next day about the flat point bullet, after seeing the results of shooting his flat point bullet..........

Like Art I would have thought it would have mushroomed more. Guess I'll be sticking with the Hollow Points for hunting.

The recorded history indicates these are Ed' bullets.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/ed-347g-hp-homecast.30604/
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/ed-360-fp-homecast.30610/

There is no confusion. The bullets were provided by Ed. They are Ed' bullets.

Here is what he wrote in the thread about the hollow point bullet.........

Here is what Ed wrote the next day about the flat point bullet, after seeing the results of shooting his flat point bullet..........

The recorded history indicates these are Ed' bullets.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/ed-347g-hp-homecast.30604/
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/ed-360-fp-homecast.30610/

Lew's right those bullets are not mine. This is the link to Ron's test on my Solid Gould bullet using pure lead. But the load was 80 grs.

Ed say’s they are not his

I love cheese puffs! 457125 hollow point, thinking about sticking a piece of hard 2 shot in the hole.

Well guys I am now 70yrs old and maybe my memory is failing? Wonder if they were from when I was testing the slightly harder lead when I was trying to use 5 bars of pure lead and one of 40-1? What is throwing me is the yellow lube? I can't recall the last time I used that lube? :rolleyes: 😳

Latest posts

Back