Casting bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenDoggie

Reaction score
Hi all, I am very new to in-line muzzle loaders. I just ordered a Lee 50 cal. 250 gr cast mold and some lead ingots. My question is do I need to buy some sabots to load the bullets into or can I use the bullet by its self? I will be shooting a CVA Optima V2 pistol and a Traditions Buckstalker rifle, both in 50 cal. Thanks for any assistance. And is there more equipment I need. I already have a melting pot.

Youre casting .50 cal bullets so you dont need sabots. But you will likely want to use wads over the powder. You may want to get a sizer to get a good bullet fit to your gun. Lee makes a few different sizers for .50 cal. Not very expensive.

50cal bullet in a 50cal will not need a sabot.
You will need to lube the bullet grooves, SPG lube is a good one.
A wad under the bullet (over powder) is also recommended- wonder wad is one.

You did not say which mold ,if it is the Lee R.E.A.L you absolutely want a felt wad over the powder and (no to sizing) for this mold .It like the Lymans 395 gr plains is meant to engrave upon loading ,sizing will defeat or lessen the engraving /Ed

I'm shooting 209 buckhorn does this matter?
I understand BH 209 is cleaned up with the same cleanup as smokeless but as soon as possible like black powder . Black powder is as simple as water and for smokeless everything else so Alox is great for smokeless ,BP not so much (for sure)so no for BP .BH209 probably likes Alox but I use my homemade bear oil/lamb tallow with a touch of BW to lube my cast and it does not mind BP or BH209 . Works for me/Ed

Back