Casting for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickelGL

Reaction score
Hello! Not new here, but its been long enough to get a new email and forget my old username and password. So I am planning an elk hunt in Colorado in 2022. I am looking at casting bullets for this. I am new to casting but an old timer I work with is going to teach me. I was wondering what mix/alloy you guys are using to hunt with? Or is it pure lead? I was looking at accurate molds and found the I bullet, surprisingly enough I found this mold before I found Idaho Lewis on you tube( looks like a lot of guys are trying to head his knowledge on here ). I am going to slug a couple of my barrels this week and order it on pay day( that's the plan anyways). Anyways what are your thoughts? We will be running these through inlines and probably some new englanders/renegades. I have some 2f on order but the inlines we might try to push these bullets with black horn. What would be considered pushing them to hard? 1600 fps? thanks

Thanks, good info but I read that the other night and although there were new responses I hadn't yet read. I am already planning on an over the powder card of some sorts. My biggest question is what lead or alloy to run. I guess I am concerned with if its to soft/ pure do I have to worry about penetration or lack thereof.
Under 1400FPS it does not matter, pure works great /20-1/ 40-1 .When you go fast is when you alloy/water cool and penetration is dependent on weight -distance-and how much meat is in your way/Ed

I would personally use pure or 40:1. You won’t have problems with penetration. Bullet might not exit, but it will go all the way to the off side.

1,400-1,500 Fps in a Muzzleloader is PLENTY, And about where you will end up with 2F Real Blackpowder (80-90 Grains of it) I have shot these Bullets to 1,500 Fps with no problems (Lubed with my Lubes, Can be found in the Casting Section under Bullet Lube Recipes :lewis:) accuracy was Awesome at 1,500 Fps :lewis: For Hunting, I personally would NOT go any Harder than 1-40 Alloy for Reliable Expansion

Awesome, thanks for the input guys! So the general consensus is the softer the better with a solid bullet. That’s what I wanted to confirm

Idaho is that 80-90grains weighed or by volume

1,400-1,500 Fps in a Muzzleloader is PLENTY, And about where you will end up with 2F Real Blackpowder (80-90 Grains of it) I have shot these Bullets to 1,500 Fps with no problems (Lubed with my Lubes, Can be found in the Casting Section under Bullet Lube Recipes :lewis:) accuracy was Awesome at 1,500 Fps :lewis: For Hunting, I personally would NOT go any Harder than 1-40 Alloy for Reliable Expansion

Awesome, thanks for the input guys! So the general consensus is the softer the better with a solid bullet. That’s what I wanted to confirm

Idaho is that 80-90grains weighed or by volume

If using Swiss 2F that is by WEIGHT :lewis:I can’t speak for the other Powders such as Goex as I haven’t tested them for Volume to Weight Grains? I shoot Swiss Powder Exclusively in my Rifles

Ok! I’ll be using Goex it was readily
If using Swiss 2F that is by WEIGHT :lewis:I can’t speak for the other Powders such as Goex as I haven’t tested them for Volume to Weight Grains? I shoot Swiss Powder Exclusively in my Rifles
Ok I figured that. Thanks for the input. I will be using goex as it seamed you be easily found. As with any loading start low and work up.

Latest posts

Back