Casting Lyman Plains for one of my new to me 54cal Renegades

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot some 20-1 the other day sighting in ,excellent to 196 (ranged) but way hard starting (requires small hammer) and deforming bullet without caution ! So these are cast from pure and lubed with Idaholewis modified Nasa lube . However before I finish lubing I thoght I would do a couple of outside in the sun photos to show of the pretty colors of pure lead (hope it shows) ! I thought given the success of the presidents son Hunter I too could be famous and rich by creating colorful art and mine would be accurate too /Ed
View attachment 15665View attachment 15666View attachment 15667
This mould is a tapered design, correct? With the to band being .548? Did they ever make a hollow base version?

This mould is a tapered design, correct? With the to band being .548? Did they ever make a hollow base version?
547 and never heard of a hollow point cause what' s the point ? This nose profile in pure lead is awesome and needs no alteration in my opinion and anything it hit's would agree had it lived !/Ed

Wrong end...hollow base, like a minie.
Sorry that never occurred to me ,as the hollow base is what expands to engage rifling on a mini where as The Lyman plains engage by tapered bands (TOP) band being largest engraving when loading ,so they would be performing the same task , probably why it never occurred to me or the mold maker ./Ed

Unlike the Hornady Great Plains bullet, the Lyman Plains bullet is a flat based, non hollow point. I used this bullet last year and took a nice 8 point with it. But, I wasn’t happy with the performance of the bullet in pure soft lead. It should be hardened up just a tad to avoid over expansion.

Unlike the Hornady Great Plains bullet, the Lyman Plains bullet is a flat based, non hollow point. I used this bullet last year and took a nice 8 point with it. But, I wasn’t happy with the performance of the bullet in pure soft lead. It should be hardened up just a tad to avoid over expansion.
Just slow it down and it absolutely works and so will your shoulder , and 150 yds it is still a deer killer with an
blood trail ! Found a round ball made with pure does the same with too much speed , it needs to be made with pure to work but it flattens and often does not exit under 80yds but then over 80 it slows enough to get a pass thru . Unlike the RB it does not need speed to wack most anything walking and is designed to engrave upon loading (again) like a patched RB as does the Lee REAL however it does not require excessive speed or for that matter a gas check (required) much over 1500 fps . And proper placement helps too!/Ed

Latest posts

Back