Quantcast

Casting Tip: Mold Temperature for PURE Lead

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

jcnull2305

Do they say what molds those regular handles fit? Lee or Lyman? If they fit a Lyman 1 cavity mold im going to buy one
Why are you asking the new guy??

And why is your new profile pic a photo of your buddy choking on a bag of cheesy Poof's!?!?

Here's what I can tell you: they have 4 options aluminum or steel; 2 cavity handle or Lee 6 cavity handle. That being said, I've read that Lee handles will fit Lyman 2 cavity molds without modification. I got a steel mold from Accurate Molds - a 1 cavity .54 cal that fits perfectly.

I don't have any Lyman molds, though... So, yeah, I'm kinda useless here. 😒

michiganmuzzy

Supporter
Supporter

Why are you asking the new guy??

And why is your new profile pic a photo of your buddy choking on a bag of cheesy Poof's!?!?

Here's what I can tell you: they have 4 options aluminum or steel; 2 cavity handle or Lee 6 cavity handle. That being said, I've read that Lee handles will fit Lyman 2 cavity molds without modification. I got a steel mold from Accurate Molds - a 1 cavity .54 cal that fits perfectly.

I don't have any Lyman molds, though... So, yeah, I'm kinda useless here. 😒
I used to think we were friends...

Idaholewis

Alright, Kids. ST Machining Mold handles are here!!!

View attachment 9948

IdahoLewis and I have developed a plan for another IdahoLewis Test as outlined above. I have graciously lent my expertise to this exercise. And, to be clear, by "graciously lent my expertise to this exercise," I mean to say that I bought the damn things and put them in a box - Lewis will do all the work.

I'm thinking another YouTube Video and casting thread party!!! I'll buy the sodas and Pie!!!!!
They Look Good JC :lewis: I have NO DOUBT they will work good

edmehlig

I use to cast my bullets when the temp got between 700-725 or so. I would insert one end of the mold for a couple of minutes to heat the mold off and then scrape the lead off the mold. Since I started following Lew’s advice of 775-800 degrees and keeping my Accurate Molds in the lead for 7-8 minutes the Bullets are more consistent in weight within .5 grains.
Thanks Lew for your advice! :lewis: