Change in Oklahoma Hog Hunting at Night Rules

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For several years any landowner or lease holder could obtain a permit to hunt wild hogs at night: No more!!! Only landowners and lease holders who actively farm the property will be issued permits to hunt wild hogs at night: Got to have the agricultural exemption.

So, the panjandrums at the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation don't really care about controlling wild hogs.

I took it to mean that you didn't have to get that special permit anymore.
From page 34 of the 2022-2023 hunting regs:

Nuisance Coyote / Hog Damage Control Except during deer gun seasons, the landowner or agricultural lessee (with a current agricultural exemption permit issued by the Oklahoma Tax Commission) or their designated agent with written permission from the landowner or agricultural lessee may control nuisance or damage by coyotes or feral hogs day or night by any legal means of take, to protect marketable agricultural crops, livestock or processed feed, seed or other materials used in the production of an agricultural commodity. Hunting, use of any artificial light, thermal or night vision equipment from a public roadway is prohibited. Any person who has been convicted of, or pleads guilty to, a violation of Section 5-203.1 of Title 29 of the Oklahoma Statutes or Section 5-411 of Title 29 of the Oklahoma Statutes within a previous three-year period shall not control nuisance

This same organization forbids the use of centerfire rifles in wildlife management areas outside of deer season. Then they hire helicopter shooters to reduce the hog population.

Those of us who own hunting property overrun with hogs don't matter to the OK Game Dep't. i've called my representatives and senators.

Last edited:
Here in Missouri, we are slowly winning the war against hogs by capturing sounders, not individual hogs. I have been in meetings with reps from several states, including Oklahoma. Please be assured your state does care about the hog issue, although that may mean a reduction in hog hunting for sport, and more of a focus on sounder elimination with the assistance of the game department.

I do applaud Missouri for opening up night hunting for Coyotes this past year, so in that regard, I feel like your new regs are a step backwards.

Here in Missouri, we are slowly winning the war against hogs by capturing sounders, not individual hogs. I have been in meetings with reps from several states, including Oklahoma. Please be assured your state does care about the hog issue, although that may mean a reduction in hog hunting for sport, and more of a focus on sounder elimination with the assistance of the game department.

I do applaud Missouri for opening up night hunting for Coyotes this past year, so in that regard, I feel like your new regs are a step backwards.
Night hunting pigs is fun, but no one is going to “control” pigs by hunting them. The only way to even start to get a handle on them is by trapping. I have a friend who works for the conservation service in Comanche county Oklahoma, and they have a cellular trap they loan out to farmers. The use of those kinds of traps where you can remotely drop the gate on whole sounders is a big step in the right direction.
I’m proud OK is finally coming out of the Stone Age and allowing night coyote hunting with something besides a shotgun and #6 shot, but in my opinion, making it only for nuisance control for farmers is a joke. My place in Alfalfa county is just north of a feed lot that dumps a couple hundred dead calves a year within a few hundred yards of my south fence. I see about a 25% fawn survival rate on my place, and the turkey population has plummeted too. I don’t have an ag exemption anymore, so legally, this new law doesn’t do me any good. I’m either going to have to lie to get an ag exemption or just hunt them illegally and hope I don’t get caught, because I‘m fixing to wage war on coyotes.:mad:

We were having hog problems around our place. They tore up our property pretty good. I shot 2 that I never recovered and don't think I missed.
Last year, my neighbor setup a trap on his property and trapped 14 hogs.
We haven't seen any since. Knock on wood.

We were having hog problems around our place. They tore up our property pretty good. I shot 2 that I never recovered and don't think I missed.
Last year, my neighbor setup a trap on his property and trapped 14 hogs.
We haven't seen any since. Knock on wood.
With your proximity to the Red River, they’ll definitely be back. Fortunately, Alfalfa county is still one of the handful of countries with no pigs.

The only way to even start to get a handle on them is by trapping.

There is another very effective way of managing wild hogs. For several years i've set up feeders with tree stands overlooking. Last year a neighbor and myself killed over 175 small pigs at two feeders. We sit in the stand with a shotgun loaded with #3 or #4 buckshot: When the feeder runs the little pigs come in. Most pigs killed with one shot is 7. Dead pigs don't become pesky hogs.

With your proximity to the Red River, they’ll definitely be back. Fortunately,

Yes, i know a rancher who owns 1.5 miles of land that borders the Red River on the north. He hired a hog trapper who took 1,500 wild hogs off the place. Within two weeks there were as many hogs on his property as before trapping.

I just read an article about Canada's problem with wild hogs. Its thought that these critters, a cross between European boars and domestic pigs, has created a "super hog" that is cold adaptable and has maybe even come into the US via North Dakota already. Canadian officials say they're already as much a problem there as they are here in the southern states.

I just read an article about Canada's problem with wild hogs. Its thought that these critters, a cross between European boars and domestic pigs, has created a "super hog" that is cold adaptable and has maybe even come into the US via North Dakota already. Canadian officials say they're already as much a problem there as they are here in the southern states.
I’ve wondered when or how long it would take before hogs migrate into our more northern states. European hogs seem to manage to survive the cold… “SUPER HOGS!!” According to the article I read, they’re so intelligent that they can’t be hunted or trapped… whatever shall we do?!?

Latest posts

Back