Cheaper bipod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Yeah i know its not optics but its as good a place as any.

So are any of the $50ish or under bipods worth a damn or should i just wait on a Harris BRM bipod? Im not spending $200 bucks on a bipod. Dont even want to spend $100 but ive seen the Harris for under $100 a few times.

Blackhawk has one that gets good reviews but im skeptical and Sportmans has/had them on clearance for like $25 and i need some bullets to try anyway. Helps save me the shipping if i get the order upto $50.

This will be used only for informal bench shooting so i dont have to haul a rest to the public range. I hate the hard plastic rests they have.

Probably need the 9-13s so i can leave it on 9" instead of a 6-9" with it extended all the way?...Probably be more durable when not extended?

IMO, buy the Harris. I have one of the cheaper bipods and it isn't worth using. Not sure exactly what the heck brand it actually is. It was given to me LOL

I think you kind of get what you pay for. Mine don't fold so really only good for bench. They also have ski feet , Mystic is name, made by EGW. Really good ones about 300 dollars and everything will lock

The Caldwell XLA looked ok but everyone said its a Harris knockoff and the Harris is built better. The BRM gets pretty solid reviews for the money.

So a 6-9" or a 9-13"?.....6" seems too low and if its gunna be on 9 all the time might as well not have it extended

GM... here's the one I have. I think its a Caldwell??? I might have shot off this a single time but only use it to take a photos. I don't think its a solid bipod.
I'd like a better one because I'd really like to learn to shoot prone...… if the knee and such will allow.

Attachments

• IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 8
A bipod is something i have ALWAYS Wanted to get, But never have. I shot a New Christensen Arms .28 Nosler Recently that Had a Bipod, That Rig was NICE!! I can see a Bipod Being REALLY NICE in certain situations

The Caldwell XLA looked ok but everyone said its a Harris knockoff and the Harris is built better. The BRM gets pretty solid reviews for the money.

So a 6-9" or a 9-13"?.....6" seems too low and if its gunna be on 9 all the time might as well not have it extended

For antelope hunting, a Harris bipod is quite helpful. Out there on the prairie, shots can be longish, and the steadying influence of the bipod allows one to be calm/relaxed whilst shooting. For deer hunting, a bipod can help for particular situations. For an ambush a bipod works good.

The 9-13 Harris with the notches, and the swivel is the one used the most here. The 13 length is sometimes required to make a shot from prone. The 9 length works on the bench, and allows one to sight in for hunting. The bipod is used a lot for practicing prone on the ground. There are times the unit without the notches works best, but mostly the bipod with the notches is used most.

For hunting, the Harris bipod with the swivel, and three sections is the one used most. It is long enough to allow one to shoot whilst sitting, and short enough to shoot from prone. This one has been used sitting for deer ambush, and prone for antelope ambush.

Harris bipods are plenty durable; have never failed in approximately 30 year. The Harris with the swivel, the "S" models, are best for hunting.

Last edited:
For antelope hunting, a Harris bipod is quite helpful. Out there on the prairie, shots can be longish, and the steadying influence of the bipod allows one to be calm/relaxed whilst shooting. For deer hunting, a bipod can help for particular situations. For an ambush a bipod works good.

The 9-13 Harris with the notches, and the swivel is the one used the most here. The 13 length is sometimes required to make a shot from prone. The 9 length works on the bench, and allows one to sight in for hunting. The bipod is used a lot for practicing prone on the ground. There are times the unit without the notches works best, but mostly the bipod with the notches is used most.

For hunting, the Harris bipod with the swivel, and three sections is the one used most. It is long enough to allow one to shoot whilst sitting, and short enough to shoot from prone. This one has been used sitting for deer ambush, and prone for antelope ambush.

Harris bipods are plenty durable; have never failed in approximately 30 year. The Harris with the swivel, the "S" models, are best for hunting.

Good post Ron :lewis: The friend of mine with the .28 Nosler (Sport store owner) Swears by the Harris Bipod when I inquired about them, His advice was to Skip the Cheap ones and go with the Harris

Just get it over with...………. :)

http://atlasbipod.com/

Never heard of these? They are Definitely Spendy!! But in all honesty, what Hobby doesn’t have Upgraded, HIGH END Accessories? Most all do. And for the DIEHARD Bipod Guy, I’m sure these things are a MUST HAVE :lewis:

I ordered a KME Knife Sharpener not long ago, I get ads from that outfit Now on Knives, I am BLOWN AWAY by the Price of some of these Knives i see “On sale” 400-500 Dollars is NOT uncommon :eek: And knife collectors can’t get them Fast enough

Never heard of these? They are Definitely Spendy!! But in all honesty, what Hobby doesn’t have Upgraded, HIGH END Accessories? Most all do. And for the DIEHARD Bipod Guy, I’m sure these things are a MUST HAVE :lewis:

I ordered a KME Knife Sharpener not long ago, I get ads from that outfit Now on Knives, I am BLOWN AWAY by the Price of some of these Knives i see “On sale” 400-500 Dollars is NOT uncommon :eek: And knife collectors can’t get them Fast enough

Atlas is top quality and you'll see many of them being used in LR and ELR shooting. Most don't know about them because we look for something that saves us money.

There just isn't anything cheap any more, nothing. But in another 10yrs we'll be talking about how cheap things were 10yrs ago.
Its just hard to justify the initial expense of many things, yet in the end it normally saves money in the long run.
https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-rifle-bipods

What ever one gets IMO, it should lock down without a lot of effort. The one I have is a PITA for trying to lock tight. Even if I had the lever, it wouldn't lock tight enough to be sturdy.

Correction, its the LM not BRM ive seen a few times for a pretty good price. I have seem the S-BRM though for a fair price.

ATM they have the 9-13" HBL and HBLM discounted on their website for $73.50.
https://www.harrisbipods.com/HBL.php?
https://www.harrisbipods.com/HBLM.php?

Midway would charge me tax as well as shipping so i need to run the #s first.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015126489?pid=586996
Thing is about them is they should lock once down with out any loose movement, regardless of price that is what to look for

Atlas is top quality and you'll see many of them being used in LR and ELR shooting. Most don't know about them because we look for something that saves us money.

There just isn't anything cheap any more, nothing. But in another 10yrs we'll be talking about how cheap things were 10yrs ago.
Its just hard to justify the initial expense of many things, yet in the end it normally saves money in the long run.
https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-rifle-bipods

What ever one gets IMO, it should lock down without a lot of effort. The one I have is a PITA for trying to lock tight. Even if I had the lever, it wouldn't lock tight enough to be sturdy.

Yep!! I have tried to save money on HIGH End items in the past, and it came back to BITE ME just about everytime (Latest was the 1,000 Dollar Vortex Viper Scope, Which turned out to be JUNK!!) Then i ended up spending the Money for the Better/Best product in the end. I have spent, and WASTED a lot of Money over the Years! I try and Buy HIGH END Quality the 1st time Around, Budget doesnt always immediately allow it, But if it is something i REALLY want, i will Save up an Extra month or 2 to Buy the Better Product

I had a Harris many years ago on a CF and i was completely happy with it. Hard kicking MLs though are another matter. These "tactical" type bipods you see nowdays are mostly intended for light recoiling ARs. Even a 300 Win mag will beat many of them to death in no time. Ive seen pics of the so called Heavy Duty Recon by UTG just beat to hell even though it looks very rugged.

I had a Harris many years ago on a CF and i was completely happy with it. Hard kicking MLs though are another matter. These "tactical" type bipods you see nowdays are mostly intended for light recoiling ARs. Even a 300 Win mag will beat many of them to death in no time. Ive seen pics of the so called Heavy Duty Recon by UTG just beat to hell even though it looks very rugged.

I can see that being a Very real thing. Recoil, over time has a way of Damaging things. My .300 Win Mag would DEFINATELY put stress on one.

I can see that being a Very real thing. Recoil, over time has a way of Damaging things. My .300 Win Mag would DEFINATELY put stress on one.
Imagine what some of the SML might do when sending a 325gr bullet a over 3,000fps...…. YIKES!
Then it all depends on who you listen to and/or what training instructor it might be, rather you load one or not and rather it will or will not change the POI.

Imagine what some of the SML might do when sending a 325gr bullet a over 3,000fps...…. YIKES!
Then it all depends on who you listen to and/or what training instructor it might be, rather you load one or not and rather it will or will not change the POI.

NO DOUBT about it!!

If i were gonna have another Inline Rifle, that is EXACTLY what i would want (Smokeless) After playing with my Knight Mountaineer i have a VERY Different View on inlines, If i were to have another one, Why Stop Short on it and Limit myself? I would Want something like Bestill’s “Woody” If i were gonna go Modern, i would go BALLS OUT EVERYTHING!!

Back