Cheaper dehydrator

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Just picked this up because my 1970s Equi-Flo finally took a dump. The new Excaliburs are not getting the best of reviews for the cheaper ones so....

Im giving this one a shot. Reviews on Amazon and other places look solid. Best part was they got it to me the same day.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PY5M579

Looks nice, similar basic design to the Excaliburs. I've an older Excalibur (knob thermostat, no timer) that has served me very well.

I wanted the plain jane Excalibur with just the knob. They make 2 versions of it and the cheaper one got rather poor reviews. The one i linked had over 16k reviews just on Amazon.

Does it come with the SS trays standard or does it come with plastic trays?

Edit: I found the answer.
6 SS trays, 1 fruit leather tray and 1 silicone veggie tray. I highly recommend either getting a 2 more COSORI veggie trays or the 6 pack of the cheaper Made in USA trays. I got both but still waiting on the 6 pack to arrive. The SS trays are not a fine mesh so small stuff will fall thru.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NVN4CXM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
First batch of ghost peppers dried great. I slit peppers open to dry faster. Some i cut into rings and those will drop lots of seeds

I ordered it and 4 more of the “mesh” trays. I’m hoping those will work for the small stuff? It’s a little confusing. I dry small mushroom pieces and herbs that tend to fall through trays.

I thought the COSORI mesh trays for veggies looked good but they are a tiny bit expensive. I got a 6 pack of the cheaper ones to check out too. I hope they are as thick as the COSORI.

I have a lot of small red jalapeños still on my plants, I think I’m going to try making chipotle’s when the dehydrator arrives. I’ll smoke them for 4 or 5 hours and then finish them in the dehydrator. I’ve also got a bunch of herbs to dry before the plants get killed by frost.

Me too, my old Equi-Flo died at a very bad time. I got loads of peppers to dry and lots of herbs. Made a quart of hot sauce yesterday and still have more to make.

I’ve been using this dehydrator pretty steadily to dry herbs since I made the chipotles and it’s been excellent. Haven’t had a chance to make jerky in it since I haven’t killed a deer but hopefully I can remedy that soon!

Latest posts

Back