Cheapo muzzleloader scope package

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM54-120 said:
The Simmons 4x32 is the best super cheap scope i ever tried. Mine was a much older one so i dont know if the newer ones hold up as well. The old one was called a ProDiamond. New one is called 8 point. I have no idea if they are similar but IIRC the old one was made in the Philippines.

Actually, the ProDiamond is now in the ProHunter line. 4x32, 4" eye relief. http://www.simmonsoptics.com/riflescopes/prohunter.aspx

Like Okie Hog noted, about 60 bucks. I know that Simmons has a less than stellar reputation but a lot of us ML shooters use this scope and I've not heard of a failure. Maybe because it's a fixed scope with less parts to shake loose. IMO, if funds are tight and you need to get a scope right now, this is the one to get. Then you can save up for the really "good" scope. That was my plan, I just never got around to replacing it, because the darn thing just works for me. I also like the fixed 4X for 95% of the ML ranges I shoot (less than 150 yards), and there are not many decent fixed scopes left on the market.

BuckDoeHunter said:
With 3" of eye relief, don't shoot a stout load, it will kiss your forehead if you do :mrgreen:

I know this is off topic, But couldn’t resist. HARD Knock on wood!! I have never been Scoped hard enough to leave a Mark :yeah: The closest i have ever came to it was with a Rem 700 .338 Win Mag, That Particular Rifle had an odd Climb to it’s Recoil? The Scope eyepiece would Just barely bump my Forehead EVERYTIME i shot. Needless to say i never shot that Rifle very well due to that, i was glad to see that Rifle go :yeah: I have Shot several .338 Win Mags over the years, before, and after the 1 i owned, None of them Recoiled the Same as the 1 had?

I've had/have several different kinds of scopes over the years. As far as bottom end cheaper scopes I would probably choose a bottom end Nikon over most everything else if I was really only after a cheap scope that would hopefully stay reliable.
With that being said, all of us can probably say that our hunting time is hard to come by in this day and age of deadlines and responsibilities. Whether hunting for a doe with an over the counter tag, let alone a trophy from a draw only tag, a ruined hunt is very disappointing for any reason.. but especially so when it is from el cheapo equipment failure.
I would rather spend a little more for the usually added quality of at least a medium range scope, which IMO is around $250-$350.
I've had no scope issues with a lot of brands, but some of the older lower end brands were made a lot better than they are today.
I currently will use Nikon, Leupold, Weaver, or Burris in the "medium" range.
I've had two medium range scopes fail on me, a Burris and a Vortex. The Vortex was right out of the box, and wouldn't hold zero for anything. I just simply returned it and told myself never again unless on the higher end of their offerings, which I've heard a lot of good about. The Burris was about a year in before it started not holding zero. I finally noticed that there was a small black streaj when looking through the scope that was coming from an outside edge. I looked up their return info and sent it in with a note that explained it wouldn't hold zero and that from the black line I suspected a cracked inner lens. Granted they are in Oregon and I'm in Idaho, but a mere 4 days later a brand new one was on my porch. Fabulous service and turn around, I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Back