Check my setup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacrvrrat

Reaction score
Just getting into muzzleloading. Drew a tag for this fall and looking forward to learning something new. I have been doing a lot of research on this forum as I think I have most of what I want nailed down but would like to make sure I am not missing something before I start purchasing everything. Below is what I am thinking.

Muzzleloader

Knight Ultralight .45 FPJ

BH209

Lehigh Defense .458 CF 260gr Muzzleloader Bullets

Lehigh Defense Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer

Lehigh Defense Vent Liner Pack

CCI 209m primers

Looking for input on specific brands to buy for the items below.

Range Rod
Bullet Starter
Capper
Depriming Tool
Powder vials

A few more questions.

is the Full Plastic Jacket the right model KUL to buy?

Will I have to resize the bullets?

Is there a better primer to use than the CCI for a KUL with a Lehigh breech plug?

Will I have to shim the primers? Will an O ring work?

Is it worth it to get a Bestill breech plug installed?

I have all the normal cleaning supplies for CF as well as scales for measuring powder.

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks.

I would suggest to you - you really do not need a mag primer with the Lehigh or even the Knight Bare Primer setup. I use the Winchester W209 and the BP was built with the W209 in mind. It could reduce the amount of blow back in the breech and really help reduce the carbon build up in the flash channel of the BP.

With the FPJ bolt, you’ll need a primer adapter to go with the Lehigh bare primer breech plug. Good luck. :lewis:

Is there a better version to go with?

Not in my mind... The FPJ bolt with primer adapter and Lehigh Bare Primer plug... But yes - BESTILL's plug is the more advanced plug. I continue to use the Lehigh setup - been using it to many years now.

This the FPJ bolt with Primer adapter - bolt closed

IMG-0001.jpg

Same with bolt open ready to accept primer

IMG-0002.jpg

This is the Knight Bare Primer bolt. I you look closely you can see the rails on the face of the bolt. With this bolt you need to feed the primer into the rails. These bolts work and work well and you cam master sliding the primer into the bolt face.

Mount-Bolt-Nose.jpg

Not in my mind... The FPJ bolt with primer adapter and Lehigh Bare Primer plug... But yes - BESTILL's plug is the more advanced plug. I continue to use the Lehigh setup - been using it to many years now.
Are there two versions of the adapter like there is for the breech plug? I am only seeing one for the disc models.

Back